We need to talk about settlement placement.

Yeah, got the same kind of crazy yesterday (Restore mission in a settlement where the power plant was entombed by rocks... unable to put the power regulator in it's casing).
There is definitely something wrong with the 'new' rocks/rocky terrains in EDO.
FDev should be aware of the problems since I posted 3-4 different issues regarding rocky terrains in the tracker...
this issue has been around since launch, keep reporting them, I think someone has to go and move the settlement

I've had an info terminal half obscured by some stacked barrels making it very difficult to use.

I'd like to see more of this. It's terribly realistic. I can just hear the wage slave muttering under his breath as he dropped the barrels right in front of the terminal. "Move these barrels over there, by that terminal? Oh I'll put them by that terminal. Lets see if you make me move barrels again. I have advanced degrees exobiology and you're wasting me! $((%&@&@ terminal."

Wait, so we have spaceships, with faster than light travel, hyperspace to other solar systems, alien races from other dimensions, laser battles, massive space fleets.... but decent heat shielding is just a bit too unbelievable?

:p:p:p:p
We have heat sinks too, why not just drop those? I also will burn up if I get too close to the sun, just remove that too then? what makes you think the alien races are from other dimensions?
I think FDEV are trying to be super realistic, the OP is pointing out this is a failing, I understand what you guys are saying, but it's not intended.

There are some things that need to fall under the umbrella of 'suspension of disbelief.'

Of all the things wrong with Elite at the moment, I don't think Frontier need to really worry about this one, sorry.
Lucky for the OP you have absolutely no authority over anything. sorry.

We have heat sinks too, why not just drop those? I also will burn up if I get too close to the sun, just remove that too then?

I don't think that's what people are saying. Anyway, in my ship I can get MUCH closer to stars than this planet base and still maintain a low heat level, so from a 'realistic' point of view, its sensible to assume that these planet bases, which are much further away, will have similarly effective heat shielding.

what makes you think the alien races are from other dimensions?

I admit that my elite lore is not up to scratch, but my understanding is that they live in witchspace - which for all intents and purposes, is another dimension.

and replace every administrator walking around outside in his Tunic with a type 9
If you don't like what the inhabitants are wearing that's a different topic. I as responding to the discussion of settlement placement.

If a T9 can be safely placed somewhere, so can a settlement. Using the technology we are aware of in the ED universe.

Regarding the logical RP reasoning behind the location of the settlements. Who knows. I could dream up all kinds of reasons.

I don't think that's what people are saying. Anyway, in my ship I can get MUCH closer to stars than this planet base and still maintain a low heat level, so from a 'realistic' point of view, its sensible to assume that these planet bases, which are much further away, will have similarly effective heat shielding.
Yeah, I guess my point is your concern is about how close you can get, so you're acknowledging there is a heat element, clearly it would be uncomfortable to live/work there and with light travel etc, there'd really have to be an extremely good reason to put a base there. I think there needs to be some basis in reality otherwise why introduce temperatures at all, we are all waving it off right now, the point really is that they didn't fully think it through, and it annoys some of us.

I admit that my elite lore is not up to scratch, but my understanding is that they live in witchspace - which for all intents and purposes, is another dimension.
yeah i don't know either, I'm assuming you're right.

If you don't like what the inhabitants are wearing that's a different topic. I as responding to the discussion of settlement placement.
Correct, so it makes sense that if they place a settlement close to a sun, a dude wont be walking around outside in a tunic or some regular space suit.
He'd be sitting in his Type 9 which we've proven can get close to a sun. So why are you making up reasons for this to work if it just gets blown away when some guy walks outside in a tunic? Is his tunic made of the same material as a type 9?
The settlement placements don't make sense and they could have taken more care, I think that's all that's being said.

So why are you making up reasons for this to work if it just gets blown away when some guy walks outside in a tunic?
Because I'm responding to the topic of the thread.

Edit
I see no environmental issues (hot, cold, proximity to stars) with the placement of settlements. If A T9 can land, a settlement can be placed there. The onlly issue with in-game settlement placement is with graphic collisions and mishaps. The ingame lore reason behind the placement of each settlement is not explained to us... who cares.

Last edited:

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
So, did it work ?

Also, nice title.

I reminded her that legally she's under my thumb until she's 18, and also that I'm paying all the bills.
She was (mostly) joking anyway, so a little ribbing back at her was expected. lol.

As for the title, you can thank TJ for that. Talk about trolls....

The ingame lore reason behind the placement of each settlement is not explained to us... who cares.
Pretty sure whoever wrote this cares. This guy is working his tail off writing stuff no one reads to keep some sort of immersion in the game.

1626978344600.png

They seem to take this pretty seriously, that's why it's dumb when they put a settlement in a weird spot. It's something that's so easily fixable too.
Would you draw the line if they made suns landable?

They seem to take this pretty seriously, that's why it's dumb when they put a settlement in a weird spot. It's something that's so easily fixable too.
Would you draw the line if they made suns landable?

So now your complaint is the game doesn't explain why each settlement is placed where it is? Does each settlement require a little in-game lore write-up for you so you can fully understand why it has been placed there? Maybe a little bio on each NPC living at the settlement too?

Most cmdrs can understand that settlements could be placed anywhere for reasons ranging from military, mining, science, industrial, tourism, privacy and secrecy. As said earlier if a T9 can land the location is fine for a settlement. Not sure why you would disagree with this very basic statement.

Most cmdrs can understand that settlements could be placed anywhere for reasons ranging from military, mining, science, industrial, tourism, privacy and secrecy. As said earlier if a T9 can land the location is fine for a settlement. Not sure why you would disagree with this very basic statement.
Totally, I don't agree, good point! See you later.

Top Bottom