We should be able to pay to name a star system.

Just discovered a nice system ( wont tell till I register it :) )
Wish I could name it.

Here is my suggestion: (sure it has been discussed before)

> obviously every single astral body in the system should have been discovered first by the person naming it
> it should be super expensive to avoid abuse and limit to a small number ( like 25£ ? )
> name should be filtered.
> it must be "outside the bubble"
> it must have a previous proc generated name ( so not a well known place/system )
> it should be "of interest", aka the sum of the value of its astral body should reach a minimum threshold. So you would need at least a water world or a lot of gas giants etc...
> it must be outside a nebula
> no special FD stuff on it (like an orbiting asteroid base, or a guardian ruins )

This would give extra £££ to FD for limited coding and give explorer a real reward if you find something that you think deserve it.
It would raise awareness to explorer about the fact that this place is cool so you should visit it, or avoid it if you want to discover new stuff.

Last edited:
Sure. Other stuff like planets and moons should also be nameable, for an appropriate price.

25£ is 'super expensive'?

Don't see it happening, TBH. They're not hurting for cash, and the ability to name systems is generally something they do for special occasions, such as the recent charity livestream for Special Effect.

Wasn’t this part of the original kick-starter backer incentive?

I've just checked the Kickstarter. Planets were 750, star systems were at the 3000 GBP level.

Frontier do occasionally give away chances to name a planet in their special live streams (I know because I hope every time to win one..... :))

Make sure you bring this up again when the focused feedback is on exploration.

I'd rather it was cheaper than 25£, though FD would have to cover the coding and the moderation - which could include translations.

I'd also prefer that you could only name something that you have discovered.

I like this, but how about we base it on something purely in game?
Be way of extending the whole exploration aspect a little.
I like the idea of first discoverers having limited rights over a system, something that could perhaps trade away to third parties (Fed, Empire, Alliance) or perhaps have the option to (help?) mount an initial colonising/outpost type thing. Perhaps limited naming rights could be part of that. Maybe make the whole thing time limited, so rights would expire after a year of being turned in or something.

Anyway, I like the idea in general :)

No, thanks.
Allowing players to name places is exactly why we have Stapled Peacock Flesh.
KC6A1Bt.png

I love this idea - perhaps it should be in the suggestions thread? I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't already on FDev's to-do list, when they discovered that new seasons weren't providing the expected revenue, but paintjobs were exceeding expectations, I expect they may have brain-dumped a 5-10 year plan on things they could milk to keep new revenue coming in.

I have many issues, but money is not one of them. However I do think that £25 is too steep for many fellow players. Perhaps a scaled charge based on the habitability of the system and the distance from Sol might work? [further away = cheaper, more habitable = more expensive]

Considering people have paid many hundreds of pounds during the charity live streams for this opportunity, I don't think 25£ will cut it.

Considering people have paid many hundreds of pounds during the charity live streams for this opportunity, I don't think 25£ will cut it.

Very much this. It's special, same as naming a system/station or whatever. The value some people have paid in the name of kickstarter or charity is astronomical (pun intended) and doing it for significantly less is a massive "screw you" to all of those people. Even the OPs "super expensive" is miles below the hundreds if not thousands of pounds others have paid.

Last edited:

Are you saying people did not donate to charity for the sake of a good cause? I have overpaid for many, many things in the name of charity - that doesn't mean I feel hard done by if someone (outside of charity) pays less for the same item.

Just discovered a nice system ( wont tell till I register it :) )
Wish I could name it.

Here is my suggestion: (sure it has been discussed before)

> obviously every single astral body in the system should have been discovered first by the person naming it
> it should be super expensive to avoid abuse and limit to a small number ( like 25£ ? )
> name should be filtered.
> it must be "outside the bubble"
> it must have a previous proc generated name ( so not a well known place/system )
> it should be "of interest", aka the sum of the value of its astral body should reach a minimum threshold. So you would need at least a water world or a lot of gas giants etc...
> it must be outside a nebula
> no special FD stuff on it (like an orbiting asteroid base, or a guardian ruins )

This would give extra £££ to FD for limited coding and give explorer a real reward if you find something that you think deserve it.
It would raise awareness to explorer about the fact that this place is cool so you should visit it, or avoid it if you want to discover new stuff.

I don't want people to be able to name stars, stations at all. That is... not if I am to be confronted with it.
I don't want to encounter stars named after anybodies lovely children, or childhood sweetheart, passed away dads, and pets..

I would not mind it if there would be a way to switch it off, so that only the ones who named the stars get to see that new name.

I am already annoyed to no end to have to see the very often ridiculous names of those that explored star systems for the first time.
I would actually pay to be able to switch that off. It is a constant irritation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom