We should be able to pirate fleet carriers

But they could never be strong enough to guarantee success, otherwise, who would attack the carriers? Who right now starts shooting at stations within the no fire zone? No one, because that is instant death. So you're asleep, you wake up robbed even though you spent 20m (random number) on security. Not sure you're going to do finger guns at the screen and say, 'Great gameplay'.

I'll mention it again, because it seems to have not been noticed, even in open only, your FC will be defenceless at some point. You'll have wasted money on defences and lost your cargo, all whilst you're asleep.

I mean, sure, I'm up for it because I don't own one and so consequently, don't spend a lot of my game time filling it up with stuff that can be stolen without me being able to do a thing about it.

Before I was a shop keeper I was among other things a pirate. Defenses don't have to be invincible in or order to be a deterrent. Plenty of time I've passed up a target that wasn't worth the effort in preference of easier or fatter scores. Most cutter pilots think they can escape a player pirate. Some are even right. Every type 9 pilot knows their is no running away. Between the two, pirating a type 9 was less effort for the same or better payday.

With 10,000 plus FCs around theres no shortage of potential targets. It's like that old saying when you are being chased by a bear. You don't need to outrun the bear. You only need to outpace the slowest member of your party.

In this case, hiring persistent NPC guards protects your carrier offline, cross platform and cross modes enough to be an deterrent in preference of other fatter, juicier targets that are easier to pilfer.

Edit: fixed a whole lot of typos.

Last edited:
Before I was a shop keeper I was among other things a pirate. Defenses don't have to be invincible in or order to be a deterrent. Plent of time I've passed up a type 6 for a type 9. I passed up target that worth worth the effort in preference to easy fat scores.

With 10,000 plus FC around there are not shortage of potential targest. It's like that old saying when you are being chased by a bear. You don't need to outrun the bear. You only need to outpace the slowest member of your party.

In this case, hiring persistent NPC guards protects your carrier offline, cross platform and cross modes enough to be an deterrent in preference of other fatter, juicier targets that are easier to pilfer.

Well, if you reputable FC owning upper class lot want to put your glass cabinets, filled with jewels out in the middle of dark space, then go for a kip, I'm all for flying a hammer at them. I don't think they'll ever bring this into the game but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

As a FC owner, I support this. We look out over our fields of LTDs, Tritium and Credit Towers like the Gods of Olympus survey their celestial treasure hoards totally immune to the thieves and scoundrels of the galaxy. That's just not right.
Gonna have to disagree with that. I play on PS4. Someone on PC can just destroy my FC and steal? Not to mention they can't stop someone from LTD exploiting/rock reset, imagine some azzhole pirating your FC in the black over and over again doing that just cuz. Then add in wings/squadrons of pirates? Good grief. I would be ok with FC's being attacked somewhat if there were 'rules'. AND you were able to upgrade your FC to withstand a barrage of attacks.

Personally I would hate to see efforts like the DSSA get ganked

Gonna have to disagree with that. I play on PS4. Someone on PC can just destroy my FC and steal? Not to mention they can't stop someone from LTD exploiting/rock reset, imagine some azzhole pirating your FC in the black over and over again doing that just cuz. Then add in wings/squadrons of pirates? Good grief. I would be ok with FC's being attacked somewhat if there were 'rules'. AND you were able to upgrade your FC to withstand a barrage of attacks.

Personally I would hate to see efforts like the DSSA get ganked
Yes, pros and cons.

Yes, pros and cons.
I should rephrase. I somewhat, loosely agree with you but there would need to be some staunch rules. I could see that getting exploited and griefing and no different from cheating.

I would like to see FC's get attacked if only from NPC's. Again, rules/limitations.

I'm thinking that a player would have to use a Fleet Carrier to pirate a Fleet Carrier given their weapons take out any NPC or
live player ship attacking them just like an orbiting station. Being naive I attacked a Capitol Ship when they first came out in
a FAS. 20 minutes and I didn't put a dent in the thing but this was before the new spiffy C&P rules so no big deal.

Meanwhile we cannot even rotate our Fleet Carriers so they at least look good in the sunlight. Doesn't seem likely especially
when players have stored 30 engineered ships and 120 modules on them leaving their home base. That would be the worst
rebuy and an end game for many including me.

Fleet Carriers are a home away from home answering a lot of player requests to have their own planetary base or station.
This was Frontier's answer which works because when bored per where we are we can move it!

Regards

I'm thinking that a player would have to use a Fleet Carrier to pirate a Fleet Carrier given their weapons take out any NPC or
live player ship attacking them just like an orbiting station. Being naive I attacked a Capitol Ship when they first came out in
a FAS. 20 minutes and I didn't put a dent in the thing but this was before the new spiffy C&P rules so no big deal.

Meanwhile we cannot even rotate our Fleet Carriers so they at least look good in the sunlight. Doesn't seem likely especially
when players have stored 30 engineered ships and 120 modules on them leaving their home base. That would be the worst
rebuy and an end game for many including me.

Regards
Never thought about a FC getting completely destroyed w/ Rebuy including all contents. yep that would be end game.

However I still emphasize if something like that were implemented there would have to be a series of limitations.

Never thought about a FC getting completely destroyed w/ Rebuy including all contents. yep that would be end game.

However I still emphasize if something like that were implemented there would have to be a series of limitations.
Maybe you are thinking 'hatch breakers' like a Megaship where a player can access their supplies of Tritium, LTDs,
Painite etc. Then there is that problem with the firepower of an orbiting station.

Maybe you are thinking 'hatch breakers' like a Megaship where a player can access their supplies of Tritium, LTDs,
Painite etc. Then there is that problem with the firepower of an orbiting station.
While I don't see FC's getting changed to allow piracy, yeah perhaps along those lines. Blowing them up outright will certainly kill the game for many. I would be concerned more for the community efforts of say like the DSSA and what it would do to that. I think it would destroy that benevolent effort.

While I don't see FC's getting changed to allow piracy, yeah perhaps along those lines. Blowing them up outright will certainly kill the game for many. I would be concerned more for the community efforts of say like the DSSA and what it would do to that. I think it would destroy that benevolent effort.
Maybe not if the DSSA players have considered the worse scenario before doing their thing and have a combat response. Some will and others won't. It took awhile for the Fuel Rats to figure it out. So will the DSSA.

The issues are how Fleet Carriers change Community Goals. PowerPlay and the BGS. That could frighten many players and upset a lot of PvP players. We'll see as it is a new toy.

Last edited:
Then Fleet Carriers would also need something to repair or slow self repair and maybe some ways to upgrade defences, or are we supposed to insta-repair them with credits?
I'd turn my snail shell into a fortress.

Last edited:
They're cross mode

They're cross platform

They exist when you're elsewhere in the galaxy

They exist when you're not in the game (which, for anyone with a decent life, is most of the time)

So just think for a minute about the logistics of that. How could it possibly work?

Imagine all the different scenarios that would entail, which either suck in terms of consistent realism, or suck in terms of the total chaos/unfairness they would entail.

If you're in open, and someone raids your carrier in solo or PG, do you see your cargo disappearing from the inventory without any ships being around?

"What if it can only be raided in open", okay... now the game's encouraging people remain logged in, sitting on a pad all day in a PvP ship instead of actually playing the game (or working, or living). Upkeep is one thing, it isn't much, you can plan for it, it's predictable and manageable. But if all your stored cargo can just be wiped out without warning while you're away. Nah, that would be nasty. People complain about folk doing BGS stuff in solo. This suggestion is like 100x the dirtiness of that.

What about block lists? What about instancing? What about the fact we can bookmark FCs and follow them around, making targeted harassment a breeze?

If it's not invulnerable, then the FC is a sitting duck. Aside from all the other knock-on effects, logging out to find all your stuff just gone, unpredictably, is beyond cheap.

If FCs can be looted, then they can and (in almost all cases) will be looted while there's no one around to defend them. Unless they make it so they can only be attacked while the owner is nearby. How would that work? What sense would that make?

And I think it would be a nightmare to implement and manage.

The only way I could see it remotely working is if the jettisoned cargo was just a scenario reward, and not actually related to the FC's own cargo. But then what's the point.

Last edited:
The ability to pirate fleet carriers would be tricky to implement, but I support the idea.

They almost print money. They need some sort of risk. They are also an optional feature of the game.

A couple limitations, though: pirates can't take more tritium than the given fleet carrier needs to make a single 500ly jump. Fleet carrier can't be destroyed or permanently (requiring repairs) damaged. Ships and modules stored in fleet carrier can't be destroyed or stolen. If someone blocks the fc owner, they can't interact with the fc. Fc owner can hire npc pilots to fly their owned ships currently docked in their fc (to a maximum of the number of pads) as a defense security. Npc pilots wages would be added to the upkeep of the fleet carrier. Any ships flown by npc pilots that are destroyed could either not cost insurance, or cost very little.

Anything someone would add or change?

I think piracy of offline players is a pretty terrible idea, no offense. Fleet Carriers already have enough costs involved, and they're a strong community building aspect; we shouldn't punish players for that.

Current mechanics make it pretty much impossible anyway. Try to do something illegal inside the no fire zone and you'll get obliterated.

I think piracy of offline players is a pretty terrible idea, no offense. Fleet Carriers already have enough costs involved, and they're a strong community building aspect; we shouldn't punish players for that.

Current mechanics make it pretty much impossible anyway. Try to do something illegal inside the no fire zone and you'll get obliterated.
What costs are you referring to? And how would PvP take away from the community building aspect?

Highly unlikely it'll happen. They can't even release a "fully tested" update to the game without it breaking the game mechanics on numerous platforms.

Top Bottom