Weird Jitter - Oculus Quest

Hi there,

i noticed something weird while using Oculus Link. Something i do not notice via ALVR...
The Quality with Link is really good, althrough i know that i am not using any kind of high end card (SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 570 8GB GDDR5). What i notice while using Oculus Link is a weird jitter of some graphics details. It looks like a warping of some cockpit parts of the ship, also affecting my front view. It seems to increase while being in a station.

It´s hard to explain more further, but maybe anyone has a similar issue?

Greetings

Hi there,

i noticed something weird while using Oculus Link. Something i do not notice via ALVR...
The Quality with Link is really good, althrough i know that i am not using any kind of high end card (SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 570 8GB GDDR5). What i notice while using Oculus Link is a weird jitter of some graphics details. It looks like a warping of some cockpit parts of the ship, also affecting my front view. It seems to increase while being in a station.

It´s hard to explain more further, but maybe anyone has a similar issue?

Greetings
Do you get the warping when you experience a stutter? Sounds like what happens when the fps drops below half-framerate ASW.

If ASW is occurring, you tend to see wobbly lines on the HUD and minor ghosting of objects in motion. If you drop below the minimum frames for ASW, then you get objects staying in place and smearing and warping until the computer catches up, or a temporary freeze with a hourglass icon in the lower right of your view.

Hi,

i´ll check that later. There are some ASW settings in the debug tool, should i disable that for testing purposes completely?

Hi,

i´ll check that later. There are some ASW settings in the debug tool, should i disable that for testing purposes completely?
If you press CTRL-F in the game you’ll get a FPS readout on your monitor display (not in the headset), if you see it below 30fps then it means you’ll be out of ASW. Should be a quick way of checking if it corresponds with the graphical warps.

So, i checked the FPS and it seems locked to 36......... Very weird. I´m definetly dropping out of ASW inside stations.
EDIT: Same on VR Low settings and Ultra...

Last edited:
So, i checked the FPS and it seems locked to 36......... Very weird. I´m definetly dropping out of ASW inside stations.
EDIT: Same on VR Low settings and Ultra...
Can you use the Oculus debug tool to get the in-headset monitor displayed? This will give you a much more in-depth view of dropped frames, timings etc.

I can't check myself because I've lent the Quest to my nephew, but when I last tried it with ED performance seemed poorer than when using the Rift S, with much more time spent in ASW.

I will give it a try....
I tried usual gameplay with some dogfighting, it´s weird. Worked well... Ultra settings.
But for example, while going into supercruise/jumping to another system, some elements start to warp and are bended for a short time.

I think with the current post-patch stuttering problems in 2D and VR to do with the FSS/planet generation, it’s probably not the best time for troubleshooting this issue :)

Start up the OculusDebugTool, towards the bottom you should see “HUDs”, click next to “Visible HUD” and select “Performance”.

That’ll give you the Performance Summary, though there are a few more options to choose from the drop-down menu if you want to go into latency timing, ASW stats etc.

The debug tool is at Oculus/Support/Oculus-diagnostics, wherever the Oculus software was installed.

I have set the setting, but no monitoring is being shown...
Maybe you´re right - and it´s a bad time for debug. I saw others playing on the same card as i do without those issues. No idea where to look for the issue. What is your opinion about my card and VR performance?

Not sure why it’s not showing, sorry but I can’t check in my Quest at the moment. As for performance, when it comes to VR your CPU and RAM are important too.

I used to play the Rift CV1 with an i5 4670K, 1600MHz RAM and a GTX 1060 6Gb (comparable to your RX 570, I believe) and performance was fine but with a few stutters in busy spots. I eventually stuck a GTX 1080 in which gave a good boost. When I finally rebuilt my PC I put an i7 8700 and 3000MHz RAM in, which got a comparable performance increase as to when I upgraded the graphics card.

With the tray tool, i was able to enable the monitoring and disable ASW. It was a little bit better. 36 frames mostly stable, so i understand it means 72 FPS for both screens inside my headset. Which i consider as fine.

In stations, rate dropped a little but i do not care about that too much. I´ll tweak some more settings and report.

FPS is going up :) ASW disabled, and i´ve set realtime priority to OVRServer_x64.exe - That improved the overall performance a lot. FPS in SC now between 60 and 65, in a CNB between 45 and 55 which is fine for me. I´ll keep that for today, tomorrow i´ll try to get the text more readable.
Thank you very much for your help :)

No problem, glad you’re getting better performance - hopefully tomorrow’s midday (UTC) patch will help.

I remember another Quest CMDR saying that if you set the "Distortion Curvature" to "Low" via the Oculus Debug Tool you get better visuals, so that might be worth looking at.

Sooo, i tried a few things today. First: ASW off and setting VR to medium ingame gave me a FPS of 72. If i get closer to a station, it drops to 36... Similar behavior in Supercruise, when a planet gets closer. When i change to VR High, i have 36 FPS the whole time.

Graphics card too weak i suppose...?

Top Bottom