Well - that was - Uhmmm - Exciting...

Moving elsewhere can be difficult, very much so, but not learning from things of the past?

The ignorant masses of humanity don't know anything about the past. If they weren't around to witness it first hand, didn't happen as far as they are concerned.

I live in a first world western democracy with very high scores in most development metrics and I can find people living on my street that don't know Canada is a real country (I can see Canada from a step ladder), think the USA was contemporaneous with the Roman Empire, have no idea the film Titanic was anything other than fiction, and believe the world is flat. Most of these people have more money and went to better schools than I did. The poor (80% or so of the planet) are even more frightening in their ignorance, but at least it's not their fault.

But srs. Why build above ground (where hazards are happening in almost clockwork fashion) when can go below, and with suitable setting flooding of said underground can be avoided, too.

In a place like New Orleans (one of the more prominent examples I was thinking of), not even graves are underground because the city is twenty feet below sea level and the water table is a foot below the ground. The result of Hurricane Katrina was a wholly foreseeable, predominantly man-made, disaster that occurred less than fifteen years ago, and is already starting to be forgotten...because that's easier than dwelling on it. Those with the power to make meaningful changes do not care about those who wouldn't have a choice either way.

The next big storm in the area is going to be a repeat of 2004, as will the next one after that, until there is simply nothing left to come back to, or no one left to return.

The ignorant masses of humanity don't know anything about the past. If they weren't around to witness it first hand, didn't happen as far as they are concerned.

I live in a first world western democracy with very high scores in most development metrics and I can find people living on my street that don't know Canada is a real country (I can see Canada from a step ladder), think the USA was contemporaneous with the Roman Empire, have no idea the film Titanic was anything other than fiction, and believe the world is flat. Most of these people have more money and went to better schools than I did. The poor (80% or so of the planet) are even more frightening in their ignorance, but at least it's not their fault.

Serious? Are ppl that stupid? Humanity IQ, minus 274. I don't live on that side of Earth to begin with, and I was 4-5 when I knew the shape of world and its nations...

Last edited:
Serious? Are ppl that stupid? Humanity IQ, minus 274. I don't live on that side of Earth to begin with, and I was 4-5 when I knew the shape of world and its nations...

To be fair, you were told that, it's not like you derived it from first principles.

In the same way these people choose to believe a different reality and don't consider "standard" sources reliable.

Sadly, I think so... a recent (and serious) conversation I had with someone went like this:

Me: "Where have you been?"
Other: "To the doctors."
Me: "What's wrong?"
Other: "Doctor says I have something wrong with both livers."
Me: "Do you mean kidneys? Humans only have one liver."
Other: "Yup. Both livers. That must be what's wrong."

I wish I was joking.

o7

I think you are referring to Down to the Earth Astronomy guy. That's where I heard of these missions too. No time wasted and I was off in my Economy class Cobra. And yes, it was a very cool experience. What made it even more awesome was that I made my first Thargoid kill at the same time. After a few rescues, I peeked into the Combat Zone for giggles and was immediately surrounded by chaos! So I started emptying my entire Mine arsenal when a hapless Marauder flew right into them. It was a major LOL. Needless to say, I collected enough snot to start melting away, so I High waked out alive with 9% hull. Too bad I had nowhere else to go and was left to explode. Anyway, the trip was well worth a Cobra MKIII. :)

Top Bottom