What are the living animals of today that you absolutely do not want to have in the game?

Funnily I am the opposite. I would really like a Sumatran tiger. Bengal tigers aren't really found in zoos outside India - not pure anyway and Sumatran are common in conservation focussed zoos yet critically endangered in the wild. I think they would have made a better tropical option.
I would absolutely love to see them in the Game. It would be great if it would be possible to breed a pseudo-melanistic Sumatran Tiger

Really, just cetaceans and most "pet" species (dogs, cats, etc.)

Actually, what I wouldn't mind is a staff member that's a dog. In the Houston Zoo, one of the family members for the Indian elephants is a dog, and if I'm not mistaken he's kinda like one of those people that bring comfort, but to animals (does that make sense?)

Anyways, any animal that cannot survive long in a zoo I wouldn't want. I'm happy with the species in the game, and I can't wait to see what's next

Actually, what I wouldn't mind is a staff member that's a dog. In the Houston Zoo, one of the family members for the Indian elephants is a dog, and if I'm not mistaken he's kinda like one of those people that bring comfort, but to animals (does that make sense?)
I think some Zoos do also keep Dogs together with Cheetahs

Funnily I am the opposite. I would really like a Sumatran tiger. Bengal tigers aren't really found in zoos outside India - not pure anyway and Sumatran are common in conservation focussed zoos yet critically endangered in the wild. I think they would have made a better tropical option.

Yeah honestly it would have been way better if they had the Sumatran from the beginning. Maybe they could add these subspecies type of animals without compromising one of the default 4 habitat slots per DLC, but with the precedent set by the Arctic wolf and the Dingo I'm doubtful this will be the case.

I think some Zoos do also keep Dogs together with Cheetahs
The Columbus Zoo does. Labrador retrievers help the animals become less susceptible to stress.

In short: animals that don't belong in the zoo

• Domestic animals, which kept as house pets. Domestic is too broad and some species would be a nice addition to the game. I don't want to see "pets" in a zoo. (also very very unlikely)
I did see a children's petting zoo once that had various farm animals displayed, including one pen that had a very bored looking border collie. I am guessing (and hoping) the border collie might have been an employee's personal dog they were bringing to work with them, and the collie got pressed into service. There was a display describing how these dogs worked livestock.

As for animals I would rather not see, I don't think cetaceans belong in captivity, at least not for the purpose of entertaining humans (temporary captivity for rehabilitation of injuries is different).

I'm okay with very rare animals that are nearly extinct in the wild being brought into zoos for the purpose of breeding and saving the species. The San Diego Zoo Wild Animal Park (now called the Safari Park) did a lot of work with Prezwalski Horses, California Condors, certain rhino species, and Arabian Oryxes when these animals were extinct, or all but extinct, in the wild, and they (and other zoos) have done much to bolster their numbers and reintroduce them to their native habitats.

Maybe a game dynamic in franchise and challenge could be introduced where a zoo needs a certain reputation or education/conservation rating before they are "allowed" by the game to adopt certain nearly extinct species?

I agree with the poster who said they are not all that excited about adding more insects and spiders (except maybe butterflies for a butterfly garden exhibit or something), though I've been to interesting "bug zoos." I'd rather see more variety of snakes, lizards and more rare amphibians (some urodeles, such as hellbenders, axolotls and so on, would be cool), as well as small mammals and small birds as exhibit animals, along with the option for different sizes and shapes of completely enclosed exhibits and a reprogramming to increase guest interest and to increase zookeeper efficiency in caring for exhibit animals. Real life zoos keep their anacondas and Burmese pythons in much larger exhibit enclosures than they do smaller species. As the game is now, I think exhibit species are a wonderful feature but underdeveloped.

I did see a children's petting zoo once that had various farm animals displayed, including one pen that had a very bored looking border collie. I am guessing (and hoping) the border collie might have been an employee's personal dog they were bringing to work with them, and the collie got pressed into service. There was a display describing how these dogs worked livestock.
I think the Wildpark Bad Mergentheim in Germany has/had them or similar Dogs but as far as I remember they have/had something like a Herding Show there where the Dogs interact with Sheep. I hope they did change it so the Dog in the Zoo you where at has better Enrichment. That Breed needs lots of Exercise.
Even though I would like a Petting Zoo/Farm DLC I would prefer it if domesticated Dogs wouldn't be included. At least not if we keep getting only 5 Animal DLCs.

I'd rather see more variety of snakes, lizards and more rare amphibians (some urodeles, such as hellbenders, axolotls and so on, would be cool), as well as small mammals and small birds as exhibit animals, along with the option for different sizes and shapes of completely enclosed exhibits and a reprogramming to increase guest interest and to increase zookeeper efficiency in caring for exhibit animals. Real life zoos keep their anacondas and Burmese pythons in much larger exhibit enclosures than they do smaller species. As the game is now, I think exhibit species are a wonderful feature but underdeveloped.
Absolutely agree that we need more Sizes and Forms for the Exhibits. A Update for Exhibit Care could be useful. Once I've had a Reptile House in one of my Zoos with every South American Exhibit Animal and if I remember correctly at least one was always hungry or thirsty.
Small Mammals like Tenrecs, Lemmings and Naked Mole Rats would be really great

In itself, I only partially understand this whole discussion.
When the zoos came into being, they were more concerned with showing strange, exotic animals (for the respective country).
Nowadays, zoos, dolphinariums / aquariums and the like are more intended as protection for almost extinct or threatened animal species. At least they should be intended for this and, according to the current level of development of us oh-so "intelligent" people, it will soon be the only place where we will see animals still alive, apart from those that we have in mass housing .
I am of the opinion that in this actually very nice zoo simulation we can make sure that our animals are doing well and maybe even show for ourselves how the zoos have developed. My children love to watch me when I show them buildings from old zoos and how they change, they also play this game and, thanks to a lot of information, can learn a lot and that is exactly what I see as the task of these simulations. Learning effect ... maybe also set an example ... therefore any animal species could actually be packed into the simulation.
Maybe you should think about it.
You could also build a zoo of the future ...

(Translated with google, my knowledge is not sufficient for so much English)

Pallas cat. Yeah, no thanks to that!
pallascat.jpg

I like large animals. I hope for those in the DLC’s.
So with very few exceptions - no more small animals for me.
Exceptions like fennec, meerkat, binturong, African civet and some rodents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom