Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I had started doing planetary scan missions as part of my faction promotion. I’d not done them before, so it was really fun to get involved with searching for the site and then landing a suitable distance away before deploying the SRV and conducting a hit and run on the site,

I used to love planetary scan missions, it was how I made the bulk of my income for a good 9 months. I really enjoyed them and they were pretty good money. I did so many though and it got to the point where I wasn't liking them as much and just doing them for the money, not even deploying my SRV so I was just nosing up to the data point in my ship to scan it. I also got the same way with blackout missions, I'd just start knocking out the generator from the air though I would have to get close enough to see which side of the shed was open.

I don't know if it's still the same but one of the updates a while back kind of broke planetary scan missions for me. It removed the ability to locate the objective planet just by honking the system so that you had to actually start dropping out of SC and scanning the system's Nav Beacon. Unless you had never scanned the system in which case you'd find it while using the FSS, however I rarely had this happen as the areas I haunt in the bubble I have pretty well mapped out. This isn't difficult but a boring extra step that just consumed time. On top of that the location of the search zone started acting wonky. Before it would appear as you got close to the planet, when you got somewhere close to orbit it would move once then stay put until you started your glide and then you'd have to follow it around a few nearby spots. After the update you had to get REALLY close in SC before it would move mega miles away and I'd usually have to pull up at the last second to stay in SC and get to the new spot. Or as often happened I'd get pulled out of SC before it moved and I'd have to go through the hassle of getting back into SC and flying around to the new spot halfway around the globe. Is that still how it goes?

flying around to the new spot halfway around the globe. Is that still how it goes?

I am happy to report that it doesn’t do that anymore, at least, not in my experience so far. Once you have reached the search zone, it will be found in the vicinity, rather than leaping to the antipode just as you exit glide...

The other thing is that the covert ops do indeed show in the nav panel as soon as you honk, no need to drop to the nav beacon or Short-Name-For-Richard around with the FSS.

I had never considered using my ship to do the job, though! I have a Cobra that is not at all well armed, but has plenty of recon. toys, so I’m not going to be using it to clear out any circling security ships that some of these places have, and it doesn’t play well with some of the defence turrets that I’ve encountered, so I might stick with the SRV for now.

I am happy to report that it doesn’t do that anymore, at least, not in my experience so far. Once you have reached the search zone, it will be found in the vicinity, rather than leaping to the antipode just as you exit glide...

The other thing is that the covert ops do indeed show in the nav panel as soon as you honk, no need to drop to the nav beacon or Short-Name-For-Richard around with the FSS.

I had never considered using my ship to do the job, though! I have a Cobra that is not at all well armed, but has plenty of recon. toys, so I’m not going to be using it to clear out any circling security ships that some of these places have, and it doesn’t play well with some of the defence turrets that I’ve encountered, so I might stick with the SRV for now.

Ah that's good, maybe I'll give them another shot. As for defenses when just scanning from the ship the ground based defenses were pretty easy to take out. Some weapons wouldn't target them well but I wound up packing a railgun on my ship that was just for taking out turrets.

Think I’m going to trek around the edge of the map, landing in the bubble. Pick up some Prismatics...then I don’t know what.

I’m not that interested in zooming around. Will take a few weeks, possibly a couple of months. I just have to decide in what craft I’m going to do it in. Probably my Dolphin.

EDIT: Already changed my mind. Will leave after the September update.

Last edited:
I'm still ploughing a lonely furrow about 3,000ly north-ish of Colonia. And I appear to have discovered a very dull section of the galaxy. Very dull indeed. No NSPs or bio sites, and most systems don't have planets of any kind. It's dispriting when Verity repeatedly announces 'system scan complete' before I've lined up for scooping and hit the honk.

Ah well - onwards and, um, onwards, I guess.

Top Bottom