Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Well Vulture it is :) With two large frags (overcharged and screening shells). Nasty little machine, with a strange noise from the engines. When close to the target it works fine even without thermal weapons. And boy is it more nimble than a Conda in a Haz Res! I always thought I needed a tank, but this is much more fun.

I saw a video where someone "aimed for the power plant" on a Conda, which was then marked out as being roughly mid ship, in front of the cockpit. How do people know stuff like that?!? Is there somewhere to see the physical layout of the modules in the different ships? Not that it really matters with frags.

Each ship has fixed area for their internal components. If you set a binding for it you can cycle through your target's internals and see their layout. Fight enough of a specific ship and you'll memorize their placement.

Back to the OP though I'm trying out mining. A while back I tried mining using a chieftain and hated it, this time I'm trying a dropship.

Each ship has fixed area for their internal components. If you set a binding for it you can cycle through your target's internals and see their layout. Fight enough of a specific ship and you'll memorize their placement.

Back to the OP though I'm trying out mining. A while back I tried mining using a chieftain and hated it, this time I'm trying a dropship.
Thanks! Of course. Why didn't I think about that. (y)

Mining wise I think the combat ships lack internal space for collector limpets and cargo. Once you get going with mining, you'll want almost as many collector limpets in action as possible, and cargo space. I've recently begun using a Python, and I can highly recommend that. Before that I used a T-10, but the Python is giving better payout per hour on average.

Well Vulture it is :) With two large frags (overcharged and screening shells). Nasty little machine, with a strange noise from the engines. When close to the target it works fine even without thermal weapons. And boy is it more nimble than a Conda in a Haz Res! I always thought I needed a tank, but this is much more fun.

I saw a video where someone "aimed for the power plant" on a Conda, which was then marked out as being roughly mid ship, in front of the cockpit. How do people know stuff like that?!? Is there somewhere to see the physical layout of the modules in the different ships? Not that it really matters with frags.
Ninja'd

Sound...

I know I've posted about this before but I''m really impressed with what they've done with sound in this game. I've enabled "Spatial sound (Windows Sonic for Headphones)" which is pretty good and have a pair of Sennheiser cans hooked up to a Soundblaster Z with breakout box. This setup will rupture your timpanic membrane with gusto and delight given the chance but, on rare occassions, I do crank up the volume a bit - like just now.

The added atmosphere from the game audio really adds to the immersion and, given the 'phones I have have really decent bass (down to 20hz according to spec), the thumps in landing and gutteral roar of thruster boost is something to behold. Not to mention the ambient noise of platforms, the nicely echoey voices in Coriolis stations and how COVAS sounds with the spatial filters switched on.

Not much of a "what are you up to" post but I thought I'd share anyway :D

Sound...

I know I've posted about this before but I''m really impressed with what they've done with sound in this game. I've enabled "Spatial sound (Windows Sonic for Headphones)" which is pretty good and have a pair of Sennheiser cans hooked up to a Soundblaster Z with breakout box. This setup will rupture your timpanic membrane with gusto and delight given the chance but, on rare occassions, I do crank up the volume a bit - like just now.

The added atmosphere from the game audio really adds to the immersion and, given the 'phones I have have really decent bass (down to 20hz according to spec), the thumps in landing and gutteral roar of thruster boost is something to behold. Not to mention the ambient noise of platforms, the nicely echoey voices in Coriolis stations and how COVAS sounds with the spatial filters switched on.

Not much of a "what are you up to" post but I thought I'd share anyway :D
The echoey voice in space stations is my favourite bit of audio in the game. Feel like I'm on the flight deck in one of the large ships or bases in Star Wars!

Sound...

I know I've posted about this before but I''m really impressed with what they've done with sound in this game. I've enabled "Spatial sound (Windows Sonic for Headphones)" which is pretty good and have a pair of Sennheiser cans hooked up to a Soundblaster Z with breakout box. ............

If you were to experience it on a 5.1 surround system, your cans would gather dust. Possibly 7.1 is even better but a decent surround system beats the pants off any DSP faux-surround, no matter what you listen to it on or how it is produced.

I have HyperX and Bose cans and will use them if doing really late-at-night stuff but the difference is enormous (you could say night-and-day ;) ).

E D audio department - rightly award winners. (y)

Yeah... I have to use cans all the time to be wife friendly. I used to have a 5.1 setup but things got... fraught :D

Perhaps some. 7.1 head candy might suffice.

Ideally, I'd have a 9.1.2 Atmos soundstage but that's the stuff of dreams.

I've had the Hawking's Gap blues for the past couple of days. I'm on a somewhat long and boring leg of my trip taking me from a system I detoured to back to the latest expedition waypoint, which at least looks like it will be cool. Every system has just been run-of-the-mill chunks of ice or rock with a few gas giants or HMCs peppered in and the most interesting thing I've seen is a single WW. Things should pick up once I get to the waypoint though as it looks cool and after that I have a side trip (well actually up, high above the galaxy) to the Glorious Nebula.

Following an unseemly kerfuffal at Polo Harbour concerning landing pad rights,my commander's stay was abruptly terminated, and the staff made it abundantly clear that beyond refeuling,access to their services would no longer be available until such time as the small matter of 300 credits outstanding was settled.
So it was that, upbraided and suitably admonished, a chastened, though still somewhat truculent commander set out to find the nearest Interstellar Factor.A swift trawl of the memory bank threw up several names,the closest some 4.5 kly back the way he'd come.
Since then he has been plying his trade amongst the spaceways,visiting anemones in the Norma Arm,sinuous tubers in Odin's Hold, and is currently crossing the Empyrean Straits where he has already discovered several non teraformables and one or two waterworlds.
No ELW's as yet,but it's only a matter of time.
So far the xeno scanner has been dead weight.I had hoped i might be able to use them on some of the surface biosigns, but it has not proved possible.Nonetheless, the codex gives information on at least three (new to me) spaceborne types within 5000 ly, so i have high hopes of a (scientifically) profitable encounter at some stage in the future.
Onward and upward!

In a sudden fit of hypocrisy and the urge to splurge, I decided to transfer all my ships to Jameson Memorial. The need to do so was exacerbated by pure laziness. There are now 23 ships in transit. Any scratches incurred by the transfer will result in my Anaconda conducting a weapons test on the courier service.

Yes, it cost me a pretty penny or two but the missions at this station seem to be more lucrative than those at Ray Gateway.

Oh, and the solicitors fees and stamp duty of said move will be waived. No? Oh. What does a rail gun do?

Last edited:
In a sudden fit of hypocrisy and the urge to splurge, I decided to transfer all my ships to Jameson Memorial. The need to do so was exacerbated by pure laziness. There are now 23 ships in transit. Any scratches incurred by the transfer will result in my Anaconda conducting a weapons test on the courier service.

Yes, it cost me a pretty penny or two but the missions at this station seem to be more lucrative than those at Ray Gayeway.

Oh, and the solicitors fees and stamp duty of said move will be waived. No? Oh. What does a rail gun do?
You really, really should get that Fsd booster! :D

Mining opals in a FDL, just to see if it was even possible. It was, but the FDL is not a very efficient mining ship. Who would have guessed that? ;)

The huge hardpoint is centered, but the seismic charge launcher looks very tiny.

You really, really should get that Fsd booster! :D

Seconded!

Going off to the Guardian sites is quite a different experience to anything else. I was glad to have done it and got the ability to buy the FSD booster; I have yet to fit one to Hecla but it is only a matter of time before I get the urge to head out into the black again...

The Guardian sites in the dark, with the scary music, are very atmospheric.

Top Bottom