Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Currently I am in Sol and strangely for me hitting the mission boards going to see if I can reach enough rank soon enough to get a discounted Corvette before they have gone, decide I don’t use my smaller Federal ships enough to bother with swapping the hulls to reduce rebuy and shipping costs.
Thanks for the reminder!
Got a FAS and FDS to swap over. (y)
I've got that many T-9s and Fed ships I've had to open a new office at a second station.

With core mining you get about 8 chuncks blown off an astroid with D rated prospectors and about 16 chuncks from A rated prospectors

With laser mining i believe D rated gives you x2 the amount of fragments from an astroid and A rated gives you x3.5 fragments
I never knew that! There's always something to learn, thanks :)

Some of the (higher end) NPCs runn SCBs (Shield Cell Boosters) - you can see them recharging the shields with a nice pulsating animation of their shield. Several options here - I usually try to hit them hard and fast to bring down the shields (SCBs only work if there's some shield left to recharge), after which they usually take a long time to come up again. Other people like Railguns with the Feedback Cascade effect, which will directly damage the SCBs while they're in operation.
I love a good tactic, thanks. The engineering wars continue....

Some of the (higher end) NPCs runn SCBs (Shield Cell Boosters) - you can see them recharging the shields with a nice pulsating animation of their shield. Several options here - I usually try to hit them hard and fast to bring down the shields (SCBs only work if there's some shield left to recharge), after which they usually take a long time to come up again. Other people like Railguns with the Feedback Cascade effect, which will directly damage the SCBs while they're in operation.
There is something very satisfying about two huge beams, while the target tries to SCB... :D

So, time for another "What are you up to" message.
My first account is still busy (occasionally) with circumnavigating the Galaxy. Still up in the north-western segment (slowly edging my way towards more north than west), I discovered a "green" (all FSD supercharging materials available) system. Upon closer inspection, it turned out that a binary pair of landables did not only hold Polonium and Yttrium respctively, but also bio sites - and those bio sites turned out to be Crystalline Shards.

So, in the following pictures, each of the echoes on my SRV's scanner (and there were many more beyond range) represents one chunk of material, yielding three units each

For Polonium:
JJHoMyE.jpg

and for Yttrium:
Kaji5dR.jpg

After having filled my storage with these premium FSD boost materials, The Abyss looming in my future lost much of its dread.

Yes, I left the system designation in the pictures on purpose. Explorers are welcome to refuel here, and it will still be quite some time before I return to the Bubble (or any other inhabited system) to sell my exploration data.

Last edited:
Oh definitely! I use the galactic map from ED Discovery a lot when out in the black, as it has all the POIs in it. Many of those POIs are “Green” systems to aid travellers, especially on the edges of arms or in sparse areas. A system like this, with two planets so close together with guaranteed G5 mats, plus the interest of the Crystal Shards should definitely get their attention.

It is going in as a bookmark in my map :)

Decided to rake out Rameses Niblic III - I don't often use the DBX but I thought I'd give it another go and practice some photography:

hbnOxKZ.jpg

4BaWUOR.jpg

kPINwfL.jpg

7bNLkuL.jpg

And then something curious happened. I was going to a planet for some raw materials and found one that met requirements. Volcvanism? Check. Mapped? Check.
ed6r885.jpg

But um... where all the geo's at?
VEMINOM.jpg

I think I must be losing the plot.

Tyres, if you did map it, then are you by any chance in “normal space”, i.e not in Supercruise? I’m not sure the planetary POIs show up unless you are in Supercruise, much like the USS’s, Degraded Emissions, Distress Calls, and all the other stuff that isn’t nailed down.

Of course, it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that you might have uncovered a bug :)

Tyres, if you did map it, then are you by any chance in “normal space”, i.e not in Supercruise? I’m not sure the planetary POIs show up unless you are in Supercruise, much like the USS’s, Degraded Emissions, Distress Calls, and all the other stuff that isn’t nailed down.

Of course, it’s not beyond the realm of possibility that you might have uncovered a bug :)

Planetary poi's show up in 'normal' space.Else we'd lose them when we transitioned between the two.

pla

Planetary poi's show up in 'normal' space.Else we'd lose them when we transitioned between the two.

I must be imagining this now, but I thought there was a time where they vanished unless you were locked on to them?

It’s been a long day of doing nothing and putting the Chrimbo deccies up. I’ll blame any inconsistencies in my memory on the mulled wine I made earlier 🤪😉

@ Spaceman Si .Now don't be too hasty.Getting hold of the wrong end of the stick is kind of a speciality of mine.You may well be right,i'm going off memory here, and seem to be a lightning rod for confuslement. Pretty sure someone who knows what they're talking about will be along soon to point out the errors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom