Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

So, last night I had unplugged my monitor from my computer, because I was doing some maintenance (cleaning out dust and installing a new SSD). Today I went to fire up ED and it was taking forever to get through the creation of shaders and planetary stuff that happens at the beginning, and when it finally did load it was running at maybe 3 FPS.

It took me far too long to realize that I had accidentally plugged the monitor back into the wrong HDMI port -- the one for the internal Intel graphics, and not my GEForce card! I'm amazed the game loaded at all!

Once I got past that, I was in a diamond mining mood, so off I went.

The underside of my Cutter looks so complicated:
Screenshot_0118.jpg

Blue Angel:
Screenshot_0121.jpg

On the way back, I was interdicted by a T10 who wanted my stuff. I wasn't in the mood for that nonsense, so I submitted to the interdiction and deployed my weapons. My ship might be set up for mining, but it can still put up a fight!

I love how ponderous both ships seem in this fight. It's like 2 whales slowly circling each other. There's no finesse, it's just a slug fest :)

Source: https://youtu.be/g-wp2QtW6Cc

Still glitched for me when I played last night. Trouble is, I daren't install Elite on the PC - I work from home on it, trading Forex, and if the same screen had the potential for both work and ED, the ever-lovely Mrs Templar might notice a dip in the family income!

I'm about to start the same Engineer round in my new Anaconda. Have just got it A rated so now need all the stuff you need. A bit nervous, as I now play in Open, and hear that some of the Engineer homeworlds are pretty bad for enemy player pirates! Guess it's all part of being a space captain.
The updates tested in the beta aren’t due to go live until January.

Sooo, the Gnosis is docked at Mitterand Hollow in Epsilon Indi. I haven't been out there in a long time, so I paid a visit. Definitely worth seeing.

Gnosis at Mitterand.jpg

If you don't know about Mitterand Hollow, it has a very fast orbital speed. So fast that you can watch it fly by as if it was time-lapse!

This video is not sped up:

Source: https://youtu.be/uHLLTsEY0m0

If you do go out there, be careful if you decide to land on the moon itself. When I went from the Gnosis to Mitterand Hollow, the game glitched and stuck me inside the moon. I was unable to get out from underground, and my ship blew up :)

This was the view out of my cockpit while inside the moon :p

under mitterand.jpg

Faster than a speeding starship!

At one time I was quite practiced landing there but nowhere near as good as the proper buckyballers in the race, trying to get in a minimum time descent to the ground target with the challenge of catching the blasted moon in the first place was difficult but it made for some interesting landings. Much lithobraking occurred.

Choosing two Corvettes loadouts ain't that easy. Actually, I wonder about a "Fragette" build for PvE, but perhaps would need Pacifiers with lesser spread. Might be fun to have a Fragboat. LOL

So, last night I had unplugged my monitor from my computer, because I was doing some maintenance (cleaning out dust and installing a new SSD). Today I went to fire up ED and it was taking forever to get through the creation of shaders and planetary stuff that happens at the beginning, and when it finally did load it was running at maybe 3 FPS.

It took me far too long to realize that I had accidentally plugged the monitor back into the wrong HDMI port -- the one for the internal Intel graphics, and not my GEForce card! I'm amazed the game loaded at all!

Once I got past that, I was in a diamond mining mood, so off I went.

The underside of my Cutter looks so complicated:
View attachment 154800

Blue Angel:
View attachment 154801

On the way back, I was interdicted by a T10 who wanted my stuff. I wasn't in the mood for that nonsense, so I submitted to the interdiction and deployed my weapons. My ship might be set up for mining, but it can still put up a fight!

I love how ponderous both ships seem in this fight. It's like 2 whales slowly circling each other. There's no finesse, it's just a slug fest :)

Source: https://youtu.be/g-wp2QtW6Cc
Wow. Those T10's can take some punishment!

Reminds me of one of the first times I felt confident enough to take on the pirates that appear in rings when you start mining (no matter how remote the system).

I flipped round, and was lighting them up with my beams before raking their hulls with frags, shouting “You want some, huh? You want some? Come and get it!”, to the surprised distress of my cat who had been sleeping peacefully in the co-pilot’s chair.

Wow. Those T10's can take some punishment!
When the T10 first came out, some fellow on Youtube tried crashing it into a 9G planet at full speed. It bounced and took some damage, but did not blow up!

I had one for some time, but in the end the terrrrrrrible supercruise performance, the 'meh' combat, and the silly spoiler on the back that always catches the slot made me sell it. I haven't missed it much. It sure was big, though.

For my next goal: Hutton Orbital.

Just to say "I've been there". Is it worth takling anything to trade? Will I be able to do it on one fuel tank (DBX)?

I'm really just in it for the mug. And the free 'Conda.

Hmmm.... after a day in a Corvette.... I don't know.... Must be something wrong with my loadout. Time-to-Kill felt shorter in my Conda. Hauled the modules from Conda over and experimented with weapons loadout. First time I used a beam on the huge HP, G3 overcharged it has something like 49 DPS, the most I've seen so far, and I thought this is a Killer beam, but I am not really impressed with it. Perhaps I should stay with to huge MC's and mix the rest. Shields are a dream in the Corvette.

Reaching Elite in combat is probably 1 thing in the game i'll never bother to achieve

Just to say "I've been there". Is it worth takling anything to trade? Will I be able to do it on one fuel tank (DBX)?

I did this last night in my krait mk2, took me 1h 30 mins, ruins your integrity and paint work

Last edited:

go with a loaded tank, there is an outpost close to the sun
go for data missions, those pay very well and You can stack bunches, up to 20 I think

Did it in my DBX with a smaller fuel tank, no problem.
Fill up when you drop in system.

When you reach Hutton, have a look around the station, see if you can spot where they store the Anacondas.
(not joking).

Be prepared to wince at the bill to repair your ships integrity, either that or don't look at the numbers before paying.

Don't forget the Gin.

Top Bottom