Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Got a flat...

ZFtcQHI.jpg

As much as I do think the Odyssey terrain generation is pretty fun, with ridges and gullies and flats and ramps that make it surprisingly drivable... I really wish it had more things.

Specifically materials to collect. I've been driving around on this unexpectedly sparkly planet for nearly an hour; I've had 1 piece of carbon, 4 selenium, and a couple of sulphur and iron. Once I find something, it's entirely possible for 5-10 minutes to elapse before I get another scanner signal. That is... not good gameplay. It's getting boring now. I just need some basic engineering minerals, is it so much to ask that those actually exist?

geyser.jpg

We shouldn't be driving around for multiple minutes between mining features. At least not the low grade stuff. If 1 in 20 was high grade, but we found one a minute, it wouldn't feel nearly so bad.

Come on, FDev, you can do better than this 😸

I just need some basic engineering minerals, is it so much to ask that those actually exist?
Yeah, they really messed up raw material gathering in Odyssey. There is a feedback thread on it, where they are requesting input on fixing the engineering grind, so I'm hopeful that at some point they will actually do something to make it better.

We'll see if they follow through, I guess :)

There is a feedback thread on it, where they are requesting input on fixing the engineering grind, so I'm hopeful that at some point they will actually do something to make it better.

Left my 2p there, but what worries me (more than the 3 month delay)... is that FDev don't seem to know where the paint points are.

I mean, really. Give yourself a midrange ship and 100 mil credits, with engineers already unlocked. Set the task of engineering it. That's how you find the pain points.

Or do a spreadsheet based on known spawn rates and all the various blueprints. Or read the logs of materials traders, see what players are swapping for what.

Nobody is in a better position to know this stuff than FDev, so it bothers me when they apparently do not 🙀

Anyway, I got bored of not mining anything and came back to a starport ready for tomorrow. Maybe I will try poking some asteroids tomorrow, perhaps they will be more forthcoming with phosphorous and carbon...

unknown.png

Yeah, they really messed up raw material gathering in Odyssey. There is a feedback thread on it, where they are requesting input on fixing the engineering grind, so I'm hopeful that at some point they will actually do something to make it better.

We'll see if they follow through, I guess :)
I used to quite enjoy selenium gathering, scanning the planet and flying to the signals and there were enough signals that if you found one on a stupid hard to land cliffside, no problem, go to the next one and each site had a very reasonable amount of stuff to gather.

I used to quite enjoy selenium gathering, scanning the planet and flying to the signals and there were enough signals that if you found one on a stupid hard to land cliffside, no problem, go to the next one and each site had a very reasonable amount of stuff to gather.
I agree. They've definitely messed up raw material gathering. I have more success getting raws from mining and trading rares down from those you can get at the crashed 'conda. I'm glad I have a good stock of stuff and I rarely need to engineer anything now.

If I do have an need, I think I'll go EDH. Shame you have to do that

I have no idea, personally I found the bit of the road I tried for more tedious than just visiting and scanning the same number of systems probably because it is too scripted for you taste.
Exactly.
To me Going Boldly Where Everyone Have Already Gone would be more tedious than Going Boldly Where No One Or At Least Very Few Have Already Gone. ;)
TRtR is prolly easy credits, but the whole game currently is. Each to their own, and all that. :D

ALIOTH system
G5: PLASMA ACCELERATOR
G5: SENSORS
G5: DETAILED SURFACE SCANNER
G3: LIFE SUPPORT
G3: REFINERY
G3: AUTO FIELD-MAINTENANCE UNIT
G3: FUEL SCOOP
G3: FRAME SHIFT WAKE SCANNER
G3: KILL WARRANT SCANNER
G3: MANIFEST SCANNER
Gain Friendly status with Alliance. You will also need Allied status with Alioth Independents to get a permit to access the Alioth starsystem.

btw i not shouting at you.that just a copy and paste 😂

So, after some harsh things to say about material gathering yesterday... today, I am having a really good surface expedition 😹

This is Kappa-1 Coronae Austrinae 8 B, it is easily accessible within the bubble, it has 3 kinds of volcanism, and they're all in the same places on the surface.

volcanism.jpg

And oh boy, when you hit them, you know you hit them 😸

1642339438012.png

There are times it feels like I'm in an old-school Horizons point of interest; only it keeps going. I don't have to log off and reset it, because I can drive a few minutes to the next one.

Ok, so maybe this isn't the optimal body to be working with; there's a lot of T1-3 materials, but I've only seen 2x needle clusters. Still though. I'm about to leave because I am full on the T3s that this place offers. That is a good problem to have, that's so much better than yesterdays poopshow of driving for 5-15 minutes in a double geological zone and not seeing a single radar ping.

So I shall retract some of my statements about material mining in ED. The problem isn't abundance; it's distribution and variance. I've been through 10+ worlds in the last few days, and all of them were terrible until this one. Yes, it's bookmarked for future reference, but... why were the others literally offering 1% of what this one does? 😾

But now that I know that the variance is this large... I might be more ok with the bad planets. Because I'm not going to stop and run around for 30 mins on the next moon I see that doesn't look like this one. I'm going to quickly skim the surface, assess it, and if it's a dud, I shall leave and go find another.

Top Bottom