Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I've run out of buttons on my Hotas, and playing in VR, I cant use KB (it's invisible ;)). That's probably why I've never really gotten around to creating a binding to target specific modules. Is it worth giving up another binding? Going to the left menu in the middle of a brawl doesn't work for me.
As far as I know you can’t bind a button to target a specific module, you can have buttons bound to scroll up or down through the list of modules, selected module shown bottom left, so you could have those on a combination something like button A plus hat 1 Up or down.

Stopping off at a 1 bio, 2 geo planet on my way to the next faction HQ. I like neon atmospheres, they're restful...

unknown.png

Also this is one of those planets where the ground is full of a million tiny sparkles and I never know if it's intentional (ice crystals) or a buggy shader 😹

I finally upgraded my monitor. I've been running on a 1080p since forever, even though I upgraded my computer a bit ago and it can handle 1440p. I found a nice monitor at a pretty good price, and took the plunge.

MSI 32" Full HD RGB LED Non-Glare Super Narrow Bezel 1ms 2560 x 1440 144Hz Refresh Rate Free Sync Height Adjustable Curved Gaming Monitor (Optix MAG321CQR)​

Odyssey is holding 60FPS everywhere I went so far (haven't done a settlement yet, but I did walk around the concourse). Textures look very sharp. Odyssey anti-aliasing is still very meh.

Brights look brighter and darks look darker, which actually takes some getting used to. Overall it looks very good, though. I've joined the HD crowd at last, lol.

Here's my first bigger screeny. I had to compress it down to get it under 1MB for the forums, though. Still, it looks pretty clean I think.

2022-01-24_07-40-38_BD+23 296_BD+23 296 A.jpg

I finally upgraded my monitor. I've been running on a 1080p since forever, even though I upgraded my computer a bit ago and it can handle 1440p. I found a nice monitor at a pretty good price, and took the plunge.

MSI 32" Full HD RGB LED Non-Glare Super Narrow Bezel 1ms 2560 x 1440 144Hz Refresh Rate Free Sync Height Adjustable Curved Gaming Monitor (Optix MAG321CQR)​

Odyssey is holding 60FPS everywhere I went so far (haven't done a settlement yet, but I did walk around the concourse). Textures look very sharp. Odyssey anti-aliasing is still very meh.

Brights look brighter and darks look darker, which actually takes some getting used to. Overall it looks very good, though. I've joined the HD crowd at last, lol.

Here's my first bigger screeny. I had to compress it down to get it under 1MB for the forums, though. Still, it looks pretty clean I think.

View attachment 287706
Nifty refresh rate! (y)

Day 2 of my... 250 light year 'trek' towards the next rep centre. I get distracted a lot, ok?

In this case, I am distracted by Kanzicnal A 1, a small planet with a carbon dioxide atmosphere and 5 bio signals.

martian.jpg

At roughly the temperature of a siberian winter, it's actually quite martian here - and at least 3 of the various exoflora species can be found in the same biome, which is nice.

martian2.jpg

Curious sedimentary rock strata visible in the distance...

landing issues.jpg

While a lot of the driving is pretty easy, there are some very rough patches as well. Larger ships may have a hard time picking you up from the middle of this. (To give it credit, it managed to land.)

Edit: well now I'm 150ly off course because there was a G3 artemis suit available 😹

Last edited:
So having become distracted by a G3 artemis suit as posted in the sharing is caring thread, I ended up taking a big detour on the last 100ly to my target system of Michel. And I still haven't got there yet, because with my new angle of approach, just 22 ly away, I found these binary planets where nobody had claimed first footfall...

rugged.jpg

This is the charmingly named COL 285 Sector QI-R B18-0 4, and it is rugged, and blue.

geyser blue.jpg

Except it isn't blue, because this is a 75% neon and 25% helium atmosphere, and it's local star is a red dwarf, but none of that redness reaches the ground. Except for the skybox, which I think might be an omission in the game engine...

nightfall.jpg

Night fell a bit quicker than expected for a 1.6 day rotation... by which I mean the sun went down in around 20 minutes. Did find a couple of G4 mats in the dark mountains, but decided to call it and chase the sun.

blue geysers.jpg

And this led to the teal zone. Except of course it wasn't, because yadda yadda. Unfortunately, this planet isn't very keen to give up its high tier resources, so I moved on. No selenium today - although I am very full on G1 mats and could probably start trading some things around.

pure neon.jpg

And indeed this is COL 285 Sector QI-R B18-0 5, where the atmosphere lacks helium and is coloured a bit more what you'd expect. I think my favourite is carbon dioxide but pure neon is second best.

invisible.jpg

There is 1 bio signature here and... I cannot recommend bothering with it. It is very, very hard to see this bacteria. I have literally been driving around for an hour to find 3 patches. I kind of regret my choices, because it is now half past bed time.

I may investigate the furthest planet in this system tomorrow, since it is a whopping 4.4% selenium... but I think it lacks geology, which makes that largely a waste of effort.

Last edited:
Starting to see why nobody has ever landed on this dark little slushball.

rough landing.jpg

like a glove.jpg

Like a glove!

But alas, this is undrivable terrain. I will settle for a footfall tag, and then actually go to the place I meant to be at 3 days ago.

Edit: finally arrived at Michel! I'm... already allied with these guys. Wow, that must be from over a year ago, but cool. Time to see who's next on the list of factions then...

Top Bottom