Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

The good thing about fleet carriers...

... pretty much killed all the fast-travel threads (y).

In the meantime, I'm travelling very slowly indeed. After leaving the Bubble Nebula, I headed straight down about 300ly and immediately hit upon a long seam of undiscovered systems, and started heading back towards home. But after reading some threads about crystalline shards, I realised there were a few systems not far off my course. So I decided to make a small 180-jump detour :D. So far, I'm about halfway; I'd be making more progress but I keep finding untagged TWWs, TAWs, THMCs and other goodies that all demand to be mapped. Oh, and a brand spanking new earthlike.

Tip of the day: wherever you're going, start by going a few jumps above or below the galactic plane. Your journey will be much more rewarding!

I was sitting in a station today after doing some bounty hunting, and I looked at my right panel and saw the Training button. I've used it, once, but today I punched it again just because I had a few minutes to kill. I browsed through the missions. I've done most of them. There are some new ones I should try someday, just to experience them, and maybe learn something.

My eyes fell upon the one called "Skirmish." I remembered that one from my early days. You are alone, pitted against 3 eagles. I never could finish it back then, but it's been a long while since I tried, so I gave it a go.

It was actually pretty fun this time around. I fluffed around for a bit getting used to the ship a bit, but I managed to almost kill one of the eagles before I lost my shields. When my shields went down I boosted away as fast as possible with 4 pips to engines, haha. It worked pretty well. I got out of range until my shields came back. In the end, I still had a bit of shield and 35% hull left when the last one died.

So I actually won. Perhaps I have learned a trick or two after all :)

Yes! Got my first and second Cyclopseses.

Good old FAS.
(Pats scarred slimey hull.)
D8K042oX4AIXRBu

Yes! Got my first and second Cyclopseses.

Good old FAS.
(Pats scarred slimey hull.)
D8K042oX4AIXRBu
Note: Technically, this wasn't solo, it was in an AX CZ, so the NPCs were helping.
Still, killed two Cyclopseses in the same instance, bashed a load of scouts, got outta there with 20% hull.

Problem is, the FAS is actually built for killing scouts, need to swap the weapon loadout.

Those Thargons are a nightmare, so I need a remote flak thingy (and GG with it).

What I used:
https://s.orbis.zone/3pu2

So, I was doing fine hanging around Milese system, visiting the print works a few times, waiting for my business cards to be ready....
Taking a few wing missions, with 350T corvette, for millions of rewards, and hoping to be interdicted by consecutive pythons and anacondas, most of which I trashed.
They don't pay much these NPC's looking to make a name for themselves. Then it happened.

I had got to back up to 515 Mcr. In a shootout, in which the security joined in to help( I could ave done it alone...).
There were vipers literally bouncing of my fore deck. Then instead of one Hostile. There was now two.
It happened so fast, main hostile destroyed, one left. Who was that? How come I cannot target or hit it?
It's just a viper.....!!!

Its slowly taking me out, what to do???..... oh dam less than twenty % hull.... rebuy screen....awe schucks... 8(

Lesson of the day, if you hit the friendly security services, they will turn on you.
So, run away as fast as you can, jump out to another system if needed.
Save your credits for the real fight..... H.E.T.L.

So, I was doing fine hanging around Milese system, visiting the print works a few times, waiting for my business cards to be ready....
Taking a few wing missions, with 350T corvette, for millions of rewards, and hoping to be interdicted by consecutive pythons and anacondas, most of which I trashed.
They don't pay much these NPC's looking to make a name for themselves. Then it happened.

I had got to back up to 515 Mcr. In a shootout, in which the security joined in to help( I could ave done it alone...).
There were vipers literally bouncing of my fore deck. Then instead of one Hostile. There was now two.
It happened so fast, main hostile destroyed, one left. Who was that? How come I cannot target or hit it?
It's just a viper.....!!!

Its slowly taking me out, what to do???..... oh dam less than twenty % hull.... rebuy screen....awe schucks... 8(

Lesson of the day, if you hit the friendly security services, they will turn on you.
Save your credits for the real fight..... H.E.T.L.

A tough lesson, if I see unexpected hostile reinforcements I try to remember to check the bottom right of my screen to see if I am wanted if so it is time to Brave Sir Robin out of there as fast as possible,
I also like to use a Kill Warrant Scanner now this doesn’t stop stray shots but it does take time enough that I should spot that my new target is Security which can stop a simple fine becoming a murder bounty.

A tough lesson, if I see unexpected hostile reinforcements I try to remember to check the bottom right of my screen to see if I am wanted if so it is time to Brave Sir Robin out of there as fast as possible,
At some point I started reflexively checking my Wanted status whenever I'm in combat (ok, I still sometimes forget!). I've had some unfortunate encounters with unforgiving System Security myself, and I know there's no talking to them once they get ticked off :)

It's a good habit to cultivate :)

Pro tip (well, not a pro, just a lousy combat type that needs to avoid destruction*): Always plot a route to a nearby system before entering a combat area (RES / CZ / USS) - then in normal space check it isn't obscured before even checking-out the opposition - now if needs-must a H-jump is quickly available vie the "Next System In Route" key / button - of course everyone knows to have that control assigned, don't they?

(* - play in ironman mode - insurance claims kept at 0)

Took a look at my DBX again, despite my not liking its engine sound, and just can't tweak the jump range any further without getting a Guardian FSD. Current range is 60.41 lyrs with max 64.00.

Not too shabby I suppose but maybe I can undersize a bit further for a couple of modules.

Took a look at my DBX again, despite my not liking its engine sound, and just can't tweak the jump range any further without getting a Guardian FSD. Current range is 60.41 lyrs with max 64.00.

Not too shabby I suppose but maybe I can undersize a bit further for a couple of modules.
My Coriolis fu leads me to think the best you can get out of a DBX is 65.89 with a max of 66.55 without a Guardian module or any other non core module but that will get you 120.29 light years before you need to call the fuel rats so I suspect you are about at the limits of useable ship design.

I watched a video about the Vulture the other day. It was a pretty good video (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-vulture-the-pilot.516973/ ).

But it got me thinking about my first Vulture. That was a long time ago, before Engineers. I had one for a while as a stepping stone to the Python. That's how I thought of it then. I hung out at RES sites and CGs until I could afford the Python.

Anyway, I got it in my head to build a new one, and I fussed around on Coriolis for a while deciding what kind of crazy monster I could make for myself, given today's Engineering.

It looks cool with those big old multis on it, I think:

I forgot how nimble the Vulture is. I got it all pretty much set up the way I envisioned, and took it out to the HIRES for a test run. It rolls and pitches so quickly I was overshooting and overcorrecting like mad, haha. I need to practice with it now. And I need a better name for it :p

But it held up extremely well, no issues, no heat problems, lots of firepower. It's pretty fun.

I made another Vulture build in Coriolis that represents what my original Vulture would have been like, given the equipment I remember using back then. Then I used Coriolis to compare the new and old builds. Massive difference!

I wonder what my old self would think of this Vulture?? :D

This is the build so far:

Last edited:
I watched a video about the Vulture the other day. It was a pretty good video (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-vulture-the-pilot.516973/ ).

But it got me thinking about my first Vulture. That was a long time ago, before Engineers. I had one for a while as a stepping stone to the Python. That's how I thought of it then. I hung out at RES sites and CGs until I could afford the Python.

Anyway, I got it in my head to build a new one, and I fussed around on Coriolis for a while deciding what kind of crazy monster I could make for myself, given today's Engineering.

It looks cool with those big old multis on it, I think:

View attachment 136974

I forgot how nimble the Vulture is. I got it all pretty much set up the way I envisioned, and took it out to the HIRES for a test run. It rolls and pitches so quickly I was overshooting and overcorrecting like mad, haha. I need to practice with it now. And I need a better name for it :p

But it held up extremely well, no issues, no heat problems, lots of firepower. It's pretty fun.

I made another Vulture build in Coriolis that represents what my original Vulture would have been like, given the equipment I remember using back then. Then I used Coriolis to compare the new and old builds. Massive difference!

View attachment 136975

I wonder what my old self would think of this Vulture?? :D

This is the build so far:

Now look what you made me do!
:D

Thanks for the feedback commanders, I could not even retract weapons and reset things.
I reckon the computers locked up some how....( i wasn't really afraid...8) ).

Have just been trashed again, this time by a single deadly anaconda.
Sat right on my bow, go a few Plasma Accl shot on target.
Every time I hit it, it seemed be sparkling. What sort of cmdr has a sparkly ship!! I mean really...
Mostly still cannot hit the widest side of a type ten defender sitting flat and square on the bow.

Getting back into the SCITECH research Phantom( hide the the dark graphite paint work) and skulking around for USS's and mats.
May be a long trip to make some exploro credits for the bank balance. Mothballed the Mongo at Millese....
KRP-scitech.jpg

Just made Rear Admiral to unlock the 'vette, I think it is.

All I gotta do now is find a shop that sells one....they ain't cheap....maybe I'll wait for Amazon Prime day and see if there's a discount.....

Question - is it worth continuing up the promotion ladder the final 2 steps? Does that unlock any extra missions or increase payments?

Top Bottom