Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

You abandoned your 'little ships' expeditions? Was it just too limited?

Actually wasnt.
Its just i feel i want the extra jump range to go places, and the extra equipment to feel safe to really go into the void and not stick near places that have stations.
With 30 Ly or around that u can go places, but u take so damn long...Once your there its fine since its economic jumps and see as much as u can, but to there and from there...

I took the Eagle to Colonia and was kinda easy no major problems, but u do have to stick near to the spots where there are stations if not you can get stuck, i had 3 times that if not for being near one i would had to abort or would blow up even.

I took the Imperial Courier to 11k from the Bubble and went around in several areas with no major issues but that ship has one big downside, it heats up way fast, that made me be out of heatsink pretty quick and after some big damage to the ship cause of an encounter with 2 stars and no heatsinks left, i had to return to the bubble.

So in short what i managed to understand is, with small ships u are limited by the modules u can have, the fuel u carry & the damage u can take.

So i feel that for me, to just go and lose myself for a long time out there, they wont do!
So from all i used and that im confortable with, the Krait Phantom is the ticket, despite i love the ASPX, taking some repair limpets for the ride is important.
Engenieering as i can, aiming to as close to the range of 65 to 70 Ly as i possible can while not losing too much time grindring for the engenieers.

Last edited:
Instead of a fleet carrier I think I’d rather have a SLF that could carry an SRV.

Take a ship like the Krait II, jump out into the black. Find a suitable planet, launch the SLF, nip down to planet surface, SRV around the surface.

Anyway, I’m out ticking boxes in my Codex. Just nice to be floating around, taking in the sights.

ship has one big downside, it heats up way fast
Cool running is always a good thing. But I've been around a bit, never taken heatsinks or repair limpets and I've hauled an AFMU over my last 30-odd thousand light years without ever using it. Ironically, the closest I've come to a rebuy was two weeks ago when I slammed into a high-g planet and lost 83% hull and the AFMU was of no use (limpets would have done the trick).

Stlll love my Asp, though. It "only" jumps 44ly, but it jumps at 58% heat, and scoops at around the same.

Stay safe out there (y)

I've just noticed... on the 'Conda, the cockpit seems to move almost independantly of the rest of the ship, like it's on hydraulics or "floating" above the fuselage. This is especially noticeable in auto-launch mode; the nose seems to dip and raise on its own. Strange...:eek:

Also, I was just on a moderately lengthy supercruise and I sort of fell into a state of reminiscence. It was well over a year ago I first started playing this game and when I did, the whole thing was just so... overwhelming. How do I... what do I... what is this, that...? Etc. Now I'm flying a heavily tooled up Anaconda, the price of which the hull alone used to make feel slightly ill. :D

So, if there are any newcomers to the game reading this (welcome, by the way), don't be put off - persevere. If I can do it, anyone can, trust me! :D

Oh and yes, I said it before but it's true; I am still a newcomer.

And, just for funsies (I think I posed this before but what the heck), here's my Cobra III in all its boy-racer garb:

Lu8LvYK.jpg

I've just noticed... on the 'Conda, the cockpit seems to move almost independantly of the rest of the ship, like it's on hydraulics or "floating" above the fuselage. This is especially noticeable in auto-launch mode; the nose seems to dip and raise on its own. Strange...:eek:

….

The Anaconda is an incredibly light ship for its size so what you are seeing is probably just the hull flexing under the stress.

I am sure I remember back when I was very new to the forums someone who had built an unshielded ultra lightweight Anaconda that actually gave itself significant hull damage when it undocked and the docking clamps released.

Well I had another go at mining. I’ve had some success. I’ve managed to extract some materials including the much sort after Opals. I managed to get enough of the other stuff to unlock the engineer out here in Colonia.

I admit I’m no expert and am no doubt making some mistakes due to my unfamiliarity with the process but it seems far from the ‘your arms get tired from shovelling all the credits’ experience some seem to have. Again, this is possibly down to my inexperience. Thing is though, it’s a lot of faff to learn then execute. I could do it but I estimate that by the time I have learned it and mastered it I could have made twice as much exploring and mapping or simply trading.

Anyway, I’ve done it.

I admit I’m no expert and am no doubt making some mistakes due to my unfamiliarity with the process but it seems far from the ‘your arms get tired from shovelling all the credits’ experience some seem to have.

That was my experience as well. A couple of weeks of going to out-of-bubble pristine VO hotspots, and all that seemed to happen was that I spent literally hours pinging asteroids that started off with the bright yellow of a deep core, but then turned out to be not so bright. Or full of... water. My mining ship was “La Piuma Al Vento”, not the “Canterbury”, so I ignored the water.

Sure, I made a couple of hundred million out of it, but it was incredibly tedious in the process, apart from the actual times I found a VO core and set to work exploding it. That was good fun.

In the end, I said “<something> this for a game of soldiers”, and went off to help the mighty Sirius Corporation rid it’s systems of troublesome scum and villainy, which was much more entertaining and more conducive to combat rank increase :)

Now, I am undercover for the Corporation, working to destabilise some systems at the edge of it’s sphere of influence in the BGS. Which is altogether much more interesting, and a real slow-burn strategy component of the game which I’d not paid much attention to before now.

Remember folks, behind the Empire, the Federation, the Alliance, or any other power, lies the technology and influence of Sirius ;)

I invested quite a few hours into the new mining without success. Dropped into many VO sites without a sniff.Still not done CEM or collected 1 gram of VO with everything including the kitchen sink aboard.
Maybe i'm just an unlucky miner.Old school still works,tho. :giggle:

I invested quite a few hours into the new mining without success. Dropped into many VO sites without a sniff.Still not done CEM or collected 1 gram of VO with everything including the kitchen sink aboard.
Maybe i'm just an unlucky miner.Old school still works,tho. :giggle:
You will need to use a few prospector limpets to find the right rock with fissures.
They usually have some surface deposits to abrade. I approached hot spots from a few hundred kilometers out and work to the center.
Takes time, used INARA, to find the closest best spot to sell. (Is that cheating?? umm)

Attachments

• Screenshot_1768.jpg
    Screenshot_1768.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 157
Sure, I made a couple of hundred million out of it, but it was incredibly tedious in the process, apart from the actual times I found a VO core and set to work exploding it. That was good fun.

I’ve seen some say they do it for an afternoon. I managed hour bursts at a time. Seeing them explode the first few times is great but I soon became impatient to just collect the goods. It’s not as though I even need the credits.

I did consider naming my purpose built mining ship “Don’t Forget Limpets”, because I’d make the several jumps, eventually find the hot spot...well, you know why.

You can synthesise limpets, assuming you have the right materials; not ideal when you need them in the tens and hundreds, but a passable workaround for being stuck out there with some juicy things to collect :)

I’ve seen some say they do it for an afternoon. I managed hour bursts at a time. Seeing them explode the first few times is great but I soon became impatient to just collect the goods. It’s not as though I even need the credits.

I did a few afternoons and evenings. I like the peace and quiet of the black, but I prefer just being out there to admire the view rather than hunt elusive rocks :)

I did, however, use the time to get better at FA off manoeuvres, which is a very good thing to do!

You will need to use a few prospector limpets to find the right rock with fissures.
They usually have some surface deposits to abrade. I approached hot spots from a few hundred kilometers out and work to the center.
Takes time, used INARA, to find the closest best spot to sell. (Is that cheating?? umm)
By the time i get around to trying again the bottom will have dropped out of the market.(If that gets censored,i mean 'not top').All my prospectors
returned poor results from highlighted rocks,and the charges just bounced around and exploded seemingly at random.I think the codex is more detailed now, so if i ever decide to try again i might take the kraite eyet again, but that's not going to be for a while, i suspect.I'm still far too busy eliminating places i haven't been. :giggle:

Top Bottom