Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Not the best shot in the world but I like it. Fire a surface scanner the rush to grab the shot.

Crossed the border into Newtons Vault, now less than 30 jumps to my next destination.
The low star density was very noticeable in The Conduit.On econ mode,(no filters), sometimes the closest star was 17 kly distant and often there would only be three or four systems showing in the LHP. Quite a few waterworlds, though, which was a pleasant surprise, some terraformables/ non terraformables, and a couple of ammonia GG.
One bad moment when i suddenly dropped from SC with an FSD failure.
PP is at 71%, so that may have been the cause.I had been toying with the idea of pushing across The Conduit towards the Outer Scutum-Centaurus arm till i ran out of range, but this made up my mind to leave it for another day.Still not sure if i can make it back from this trip,(limpets are a growing concern),but retain optimism.Maybe i'll have better luck mining rings for mats.At least i wont be disturbed by pirates. :giggle:

Not the best shot in the world but I like it. Fire a surface scanner the rush to grab the shot.

I love the fact that the probes seem to be launched from some point at infinity behind the spaceship, like they aren't actually part of the ship at all.

When I say "love", I mean "find it somewhat laughable", really :)

I'd noticed it when using headlook from within the cabin to try and identify where they came from, but that rather marvellous shot illustrates it perfectly :)

I love the fact that the probes seem to be launched from some point at infinity behind the spaceship, like they aren't actually part of the ship at all.

When I say "love", I mean "find it somewhat laughable", really :)

I'd noticed it when using headlook from within the cabin to try and identify where they came from, but that rather marvellous shot illustrates it perfectly :)

Well, technically it does look as though you are standstill when launching them, you are however travelling at 30.0km/s.

That probably explains the bug.

Why would you think it is a bug? You fired off the probes and then switched to external camera, went into camera suite, etc - by which time your ship has moved forward but the trails (ions?) start from where you launched the probes, i.e. aft of your current position. not a bug

Good point! Though I have always had a sneaky whip round with the DSS targetting view as I launch the probe, and it still seems to have launched from "thin air" for want of a better phrase. I suppose the same effect could be at work there too, after all, the ship is still doing 30Km/s.

It just always looks decidedly odd to me, and unlike everything else that can issue forth from the ship, there appears to be no obvious probe launching point or facility. Maybe I should get out more ;)

Good point! Though I have always had a sneaky whip round with the DSS targetting view as I launch the probe, and it still seems to have launched from "thin air" for want of a better phrase. I suppose the same effect could be at work there too, after all, the ship is still doing 30Km/s.

It just always looks decidedly odd to me, and unlike everything else that can issue forth from the ship, there appears to be no obvious probe launching point or facility. Maybe I should get out more ;)

Yes indeed there is no launch equipment so the probes just magically fire off from your location, leaving those trails and since they have no mass nor take up any space on your ship then you have an infinite supply of them. Yes that aspect is indeed odd and the ructions in the beta about probe ammo quite ignored the lack of a launch mechanism as far as I recall.

All my Elite Dangerous plans got scrapped this week, but it was for a good reason. My wife indicated interest in trying No Man's Sky! She's never been interested in any space games, and with NMS now having decent multiplayer capabilities, well...

So we started a couple of new characters, and spent a bunch of time hilariously running around her first planet (a horrid place, but she loved it anyway, not having anything to compare it to!).

Then I decided that I would figure out how to actually fly my character to where she started, so that we'd both be in the same area all the time (instead of just when we joined our games).

Turns out we were a heck of a long ways from each other. It's hard to get an exact figure because of the limitations of the galaxy map, but I figure 400,000 LY minimum.

It'll be worth it. Right?

I'm still in transit. :)

Top Bottom