Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Thank you! No I have not been that far out in the galaxy yet, I've been doing cargo missions in Sothis and Ceos. Could be the ship name was Old Rusty, and not the commander name?

Yes could well be - I was in my paper-hulled Asp Scout at the time (now in a T9 - quite the adjustment), so was mostly scrambling to stay out of the way of the bigger traffic at that point. I have started seeing a few Commanders around Colonia multiple times, so it's fun for the sociable sort.

You can go round - just travel 500ly on the Z axis and replot.
Rosette, Seagull, and Crab aren’t locked. You are probably still somewhere in the vicinity of Col 70 and Horsehead, which is a large locked ”bubble”, and disrupts the plotter. As the100thmonkey says, go down or up and replot and all will be well :)

Seagull is a lovely nebula to visit. If you head out to the Crab, give my regards to Station X which was my base for a while, and give my tags on the planets at the pulsar a wave :)

Yes, you're quite right! I moved on aways and they are becoming "unblocked" now - cheers! (y)

And for something different, it seems our fellow forumite has some systems' to his name... sort of :D

8kZWzsP.jpg

And....I just hit another milestone, one billion credits. What a wonderful ride it has been.

I started playing on January 5th (or was it the 3rd?) From a Sidewinder with one thousand credits, to a Cobra Mk 3, to a Type-7, to a Krait Mk II, and now a billion credits in the bank.

I love this game so much :D

I'm flying around high above the galaxy disc above Colonia, having second thoughts about going to Beagle Point just to say I've been there. I'm in a Conda I built out here where civilization is thin, and after spending time in Colonia it's now at 74+ ly jump range with a fighter hangar and a SRV. My current plan is to try and fly up here towards the Center, and then once I get there, dive bomb the Conda towards Sag A* to see it again. I have a few things I didn't see/try/dare the last time I was there. It's really pretty up here. I'm at an "altitude" of ~3000 ly, so plotting routes is slightly difficult, but the view is well worth it.

Down in Colonia, it was "full of stars", but up here the stars are almost non existing and the sky above the galaxy is very dark with a bundle of distant galaxies. I can highly recommend the trip, and I've done it before further from the Center, and out there it's still a very special experience.

This picture kind of shows what awaits up here, but it was taken half way here IIRC:

HighResScreenShot_2020-02-12_19-58-06.jpg

I imagine that travelling up here will be a nice distraction from the monotone travelling down in the disc. Maybe I should have brought a bigger fuel tank, but who dares wins ;)

Speaking of: The SLF does get warm when you scrape it against a neutron star. Nothing serious, just an annoying noise from the heat alarm and some smoke, which combined with the terribly bright light from the star, make it hard to dock the mothership when she's aligned towards the star.

HighResScreenShot_2020-02-12_20-38-12 (2).jpg

Crazy NS btw. The fastest spinning one I've seen so far. You bump into the exclusion zone at ~780 km. I remember it as being closer, but I also think the star is more visible after the latest updates and patches. Still I can also recommend bumping into the exclusion zone of one of these cray things. Approach ~slowly at a 90 deg angle to the jets, and you're safe as long as your PP runs relatively cool. While you sit there looking at it, think about that these things are real. They are roughly 10 km or miles across, and they are basically one giant ball of nucleus matter. Because they are so dense they bend the light considerably around the star, something you need to see "live" to notice. They are "perfect" spheres, because gravity on the surface is so strong (almost collapsing the star into a black hole). Find a critically sized one, dump some biowaste from your cargo (always bring biowaste), and then strap yourself down and enjoy the show (I wish, but it would be pretty cool @FDev) :)

Last edited:
Decided to ditch the destination of the Elephant's Trunk as I'm saying to myself "Only 50 jumps to go... only 49 jumps to go...". Which I found irritating :D So I've now opted for the "Let's go to that system next" approach of only one or two jumps in a random direction.

At some point I shall head home again but, for now, the haphazard, aimless wandering suits me just fine, sir. Aw. Suits you. Does she like it sir? Aw.

Crossed the Orion Cygnus Sector into the Perseus Sector watching the available stars thin out as we crossed the gap.Star density soon restored as we moved further into the Perseus Arm, but obviously when we reach the other side it's going to get worse again,so i thought i had better figure out the jumponium stocks in preparation.Since day one i have been assiduosly collecting stocks of the necessary materials trading where necessary and am in good shape so far,but i don't want to waste them. In fact,i don't want to use them at all if it can be avoided. However,checking out my stocks,i noticed i couldn't select standard or premium.so i manufactured a basic and after that was given access.(Or maybe i was just pressing the wrong button?Another facepalm moment.:))
Still,i can see it could develop into an interesting sub-game juggling those numbers.
Finally got within max-range of my destination, but the plot failed at 78%,so i guess i'll have to get a little closer.Of course,it may be a permit locked wall so i might have to find a way round,but we'll cross that bridge of stars when we get to it.
RINGED ELW.jpg

Have fun.FS/FD.

I just finished engineering the Andromeda's lasers and multi cannons to G5. Unlocking Broo Tarquin was a PITA having to make trips to bring that stupid tea he wanted from a system 180LY away. At least it's done now. Plus I pinned the blue print so I don't have to come all the way back out here again anytime soon.
I did have some fun blasting some NPC pirates that were foolish enough to interdict me while I was delivering my bribe, err I mean donation, to Broo to get my lasers fully engineered.

Moved with the Conda to Zachery Hudson's Nanomam awaiting week three and hauled the DBX over there too.

35 jumps pheeew, whish I could use a macro or something, to the crystal shards places, final stage of maxing out "the potjes". It's been so long that I've been there that I forgot to go to biological, not geological sites. Doh!?! ;)

Need to unlock that Broo Tarquin chap too afterwards. Curious to see the difference between a G3 and G5 beam laser.

Hmm. Looks like they changed something for good with the last updates. Currently collecting Technetium, before that Tellurium, I find the rate of bad shots much, much lower than before! Which makes it less a grind with lots of missed shots.

The follwing might have been like that before because I never tried, if you shoot them and they throw up not the expected "tribbles", but spiky stuff that would sink into the ground, uncollectable albeit stating it would be Tellurium, if you do catch them before they hit the ground they count for 3 as well.

Both together increases efficiency and speed to shoot and collect 50 each to reach the 150 max.

Nice one!

Hmm. Looks like they changed something for good with the last updates. Currently collecting Technetium, before that Tellurium, I find the rate of bad shots much, much lower than before! Which makes it less a grind with lots of missed shots.

The follwing might have been like that before because I never tried, if you shoot them and they throw up not the expected "tribbles", but spiky stuff that would sink into the ground, uncollectable albeit stating it would be Tellurium, if you do catch them before they hit the ground they count for 3 as well.

Both together increases efficiency and speed to shoot and collect 50 each to reach the 150 max.

Nice one!
I can only occasionally spot them from the air,they don't seem to show up on the radar at all.Perhaps i'm not close enough. 🤔

I can only occasionally spot them from the air,they don't seem to show up on the radar at all.Perhaps i'm not close enough. 🤔
You mean the spikes? You can identify them flying away with the rectangle around them when they show up, then mark them and follow their trajectory, they come down fatser than the tribbles, but 95% you can catch them because they go up first giving you ample time to steer into the right direction. Some go horizontal, forget them choose next.

I've taken a little unexpected journey that I've really enjoyed so far. It started off I didn't really feel like doing anything so I just hopped in my AspX and decided to just go look at something pretty. Jackson's Lighthouse wasn't far from where I was, I knew I'd been there before but couldn't remember what was there so I jumped over. I wasn't too blown away by what I found and was just about to log off but I decided to just look around in the galaxy map to see if there was anything interesting nearby. Normally this doesn't lead to anything, I've seen large nebulae and other stuff like that on the galaxy map and gone to investigate but all other POI I've visited like planetary nebula, interesting planets and whatever else I always discovered by word of mouth not by scanning through the map. But this time I happened to notice a little pinpoint of red light that I zoomed in on and saw was the Eskimo Nebula. I thought maybe I heard of it but I'd never been there so went about 18 jumps out there. It was one of the cooler things I've ever seen in the game, I had seen some posts about various black holes inside planetary nebula but haven't been to one myself as they all seemed pretty far away.

The next day I once again looked to see if I could find something else on the galaxy map before heading back and this time a little white light caught my eye. This turned out to be HIP 38064, which after reading the description I made the 24 jumps to. I was a little disappointed because landing on Planet 2 was no problem for my AspX. The gravity wasn't very bad at all (except on my SRV which I destroyed trying to jump down that 70km crater) and the only time the heat was an issue was when firing up the FSD to get off-planet. I had heat syncs but they weren't really necessary, just a little smoke. Anyway I hope to find something else cool to visit around here.

Edit: I guess I should add the reason I was disappointed about planet 2 is that I was expecting something of a challenge. Having to fight hard to make a landing while fighting rising temps, so it was kind of anti-climactic when I landed. It wasn't that big of a deal though, I loved the views in the system I was just expecting a little flying challenge there as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom