Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

I am at an outpost in Njulans, several factions there who all hate pirates. The outpost is very close to the star. The massacre missions are in the neighbouring system, Tjurodo, which also has an outpost but helpfully also has a compromised navigation beacon. So I sit at the beacon there making rank, but if ever I need a number of kills to make a mission before it times out (they're seven day missions I'm stacking) I can also use the mission point of interest markers. It's about as lucrative and convenient as I can make it. Might just sit here until I have hit Elite frankly. The money is amazing and then it's done! Have made over half a billion in a week, and did over half of Dangerous-Deadly last week (and that with being a pretty occasional gamer - two businesses and four kids will do that to a man!). But yes, take the missions in Njulans and then execute pirates in Tjurodo.
Thank you! This is an excellent area, flying through the Imperial ranks.

Thank you! This is an excellent area, flying through the Imperial ranks.
You’re very welcome, happy to give something back to this helpful thread. I think this thread has let the secret out - there are now four carriers in system. Previously there was none! Is one of them yours? I’m based here until Elite, then find a new squadron and a new home. Am at 7% Deadly currently. Glad it’s working well for you! o7

You’re very welcome, happy to give something back to this helpful thread. I think this thread has let the secret out - there are now four carriers in system. Previously there was none! Is one of them yours? I’m based here until Elite, then find a new squadron and a new home. Am at 7% Deadly currently. Glad it’s working well for you! o7
No FC, it's my noob alt Tanya Wu. Currently stacking courier missions.
'Prepare for a beating!'
Lol.

Rather than fly willy-nilly around systems, I want to take a more targeted approach for a while. What I'm trying to ascertain is, what star types are more likely to conatin ringed giants. I thought I'd cracked it by noticing a couple I've visited today were K types with a "subtitle" (I don't know the actual word... "sub-designation"?) of star type "VA". However, that doesn't appear correct.

I've been onto the Googlesphere (or, rather, the DDGsphere) but information is lacking somewhat.

Is there a rule somewhere that says "If star type = A, and "subtitle" = M8 VA then you will find gas giants with rings?

Or is it all really RNG/procedurally generated with no such rule?

Rather than fly willy-nilly around systems, I want to take a more targeted approach for a while. What I'm trying to ascertain is, what star types are more likely to conatin ringed giants. I thought I'd cracked it by noticing a couple I've visited today were K types with a "subtitle" (I don't know the actual word... "sub-designation"?) of star type "VA". However, that doesn't appear correct.

I've been onto the Googlesphere (or, rather, the DDGsphere) but information is lacking somewhat.

Is there a rule somewhere that says "If star type = A, and "subtitle" = M8 VA then you will find gas giants with rings?

Hmm. Maybe for certain types you get an increased likelihood of them being present.
Probably something to do with total mass within a system?
I bet Brian Cox would know this. :geek: 🪐

In the real Universe (or Universes!), planetary formation depends on how much dust and rubble is in the star forming region.
In ED, I suspect it's RNG, but A, B & F types seem to have more GG's.
I could be wrong, that wouldn't be unusual!

Brian Cox.png

Well. Not only logged what I came for, also broke my personal best by landing on a 4.5G planet. Nowhere near the record I know, but nearly a full 1.0G above my previous best.

Oh yeah. Did it in a Hauler. Got myself a Hauler and kitted it out for system investigations, got all the scanners and an SRV on it.

I cant be certain but I’m sure I had a Hauler in the early days. It might have been the craft that I earned the money in to get my Python. Happy days.

Currently trying to work out how to use FSD Injection. Seems the FSD Boost button doesn't calculate your route with your expanded range in mind. Wasted a couple of injections before realising I have to do each jump manually. Think I'll save my spare injection capacity for when I'm in a hurry.

I bet @Sapyx would know... :D

I am summoned. 😅

I'm not entirely certain what affects ringed-ness. Rings seem to form under three conditions: first, if a moon is calculated to be created within the Roche limit of a parent body, it becomes a ring instead. Second, if some horrible disaster (like a rogue planet smashing into a moon) is calculated to have happened in the system's prehistory, a ring will form from the debris (I believe this is what's happened in situations where we find large thin rings forming outside of the orbits of the innermost moons). Third, in a system which is calculated to have lots of dust and debris, the planets sweep up some of that debris and form rings.

I have put that third rule in place simply because rings aren't very probable, but far too often, you can enter a system and find virtually every world, big and small, has a set of rings around it. As a general rule, younger systems would be more likely to have lots of dust and debris, so are more likely to have rings; this bears out my qualitative observation that these full'o'rings sytsems tend to be around large, young stars. Young, but not too young; I've noticed many protostars don't tend to form rings around their planets; this may have something to do with protostar planets not tending to have many moons, and thus fewer rings forming under rule 1.

Note that if this theory is true, there are some competing algorithms. For example, "collisions" are more likely to have happened in older systems, since they've had a longer history and thus more chance of such events happening; this would counter the "younger is better" hypothesis of rule 3.

TLDR: it's not really random, but the rulebook is arcane and self-contradictory, so the results are effectively random.

Last edited:
I am summoned. 😅

I'm not entirely certain what affects ringed-ness. Rings seem to form under three conditions: first, if a moon is calculated to be created within the Roche limit of a parent body, it becomes a ring instead. Second, if some horrible disaster (like a rogue planet smashing into a moon) is calculated to have happened in the system's prehistory, a ring will form from the debris (I believe this is what's happened in situations where we find large thin rings forming outside of the orbits of the innermost moons). Third, in a system which is calculated to have lots of dust and debris, the planets sweep up some of that debris and form rings.

I have put that third rule in place simply because rings aren't very probable, but far too often, you can enter a system and find virtually every world, big and small, has a set of rings around it. As a general rule, younger systems would be more likely to have lots of dust and debris, so are more likely to have rings; this bears out my qualitative observation that these full'o'rings sytsems tend to be around large, young stars. Young, but not too young; I've noticed many protostars don't tend to form rings around their planets; this may have something to do with protostar planets not tending to have many moons, and thus fewer rings forming under rule 1.

Note that if this theory is true, there are some competing algorithms. For example, "collisions" are more likely to have happened in older systems, since they've had a longer history and thus more chance of such events happening; this would counter the "younger is better" hypothesis of rule 3.

TLDR: it's not really random, but the rulebook is arcane and self-contradictory, so the results are effectively random.
Thank you CMDR! As always, your post makes a really interesting read!

Hey you guys, I diverted my codex activities late last night to go rescue a new chap. He's got himself sent to jail, was now 70ly from his home base and his ship couldn't make it to the nearest star. I flew in with my carrier, picked up and took him home.

Would you believe this though, when I asked where he was, I was expecting it to be 2 jumps away but he was precisely 501ly away. I mean, 600, 750, that would have been ok, but 2 jumps with the second one to cover just under 2ly, Annoying. Anyway, it was done.

Hey you guys, I diverted my codex activities late last night to go rescue a new chap. He's got himself sent to jail, was now 70ly from his home base and his ship couldn't make it to the nearest star. I flew in with my carrier, picked up and took him home.

Would you believe this though, when I asked where he was, I was expecting it to be 2 jumps away but he was precisely 501ly away. I mean, 600, 750, that would have been ok, but 2 jumps with the second one to cover just under 2ly, Annoying. Anyway, it was done.
Well done Cmdr!
I saw the thread he started last night. How did he manage to get that far from his homebase? There must be Penal Colonies closer to home.

Well done!
Well done Cmdr!
I saw the thread he started last night. How did he manage to get that far from his homebase? There must be Penal Colonies closer to home.
I got into trouble a couple of nights ago - stray shot! - and was sent to space jail. Was eight jumps to get back in my Krait. Sure it’s a combat rig but has a range of over 20ly. Guess there aren’t that many jails! I only just made it back without having to refuel.

Top Bottom