Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Found a really nice hill, tonight
Mountain.jpg

Decided to go mountain-goatin'
Literally
Ridge.jpg

Incline.jpg

The SRV can climb some serious inclines if the gravity is low enough and you're light on the throttle. :)

But finally it reached its limit here
SRV stuck.jpg
I couldn't continue up from this saddle without the risk of slipping off. So I decided to continue the last 200 meters on foot. (jetpack helped as well)
And finally reached the top.
Its got a nice view on all three biomes of this planet
Summit.jpg

Summit3.jpg

...now to find that last pesky species of bush somewhere over there in the green bits. :LOL:

Attachments

• SRV stuck.jpg
    SRV stuck.jpg
    899.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Summit2.jpg
    Summit2.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 27
The Scorpion is even better at climbing than the Scarab, FWIW. Mighta made it to the top!

Great pix!
I like Scorpion but not for exporing. It's... so... bloody... sloooow. :D

btw. the green bits are green even up close. Shocking.
Green.jpg

But I'm gonna have to return to orbit and check the heatmap again to try and find that last biosignal.
I spent a couple of months on my Horizons alter-ego.
Stupid question but... can we switch the heatmap overlay on and off already? I'm starting to remember a couple of things that originally convinced me to take a break from EDO. :LOL:

Boy, did I get schooled today, I took a black box salvage mission and as soon as the first cannister touched my ship 4 bad guys popped out of super cruise and started shooting at me. It did say that ships could be sent to attack me but almost all missions say that.

All I figured I needed to do was take out as many of the smaller, faster ships (2 Eagles, 1 Imperial Cutter) as I could until the NPC cops got there. By the time they arrived, my shields were gone but my hull and modules were at 75%, so I think I could have finished off the Anaconda. I had to use all 4 of my shield boosters and had to make more heatsinks.

Boy, did I get schooled today, I took a black box salvage mission and as soon as the first cannister touched my ship 4 bad guys popped out of super cruise and started shooting at me. It did say that ships could be sent to attack me but almost all missions say that.

All I figured I needed to do was take out as many of the smaller, faster ships (2 Eagles, 1 Imperial Cutter) as I could until the NPC cops got there. By the time they arrived, my shields were gone but my hull and modules were at 75%, so I think I could have finished off the Anaconda. I had to use all 4 of my shield boosters and had to make more heatsinks.
It is good to know that some things haven’t changed.

Black box salvage missions were almost always an ambush waiting to pounce when your ship is at its slowest. I seem to remember that if you defeated them a second wave arrived pretty quickly. A recommended technique was to target one box then launch a collector limpet which would be in high speed one shot mode, as soon as it was back jump to cruise and start over until you had retrieved all the boxes needed one at a time

It is good to know that some things haven’t changed.

Black box salvage missions were almost always an ambush waiting to pounce when your ship is at its slowest. I seem to remember that if you defeated them a second wave arrived pretty quickly. A recommended technique was to target one box then launch a collector limpet which would be in high speed one shot mode, as soon as it was back jump to cruise and start over until you had retrieved all the boxes needed one at a time
Well, I wish I had known, I felt like a deer caught in the headlights. I snagged the second one while the NPC cops were still there. I only needed the two and both were in the same area.

Was planning my trip to Sag A* when I got pinged on Discord about NASA releasing their 2017 image of Sag A*, it's a sign!!!!!
This?*

* I know it's The Sun but time was short... at least it wasn't written by Moist Von Lipwig or CMOT Dibbler.

These are crap quality but they cover a complete movie of one of the stories (Clare Foy is stunning):

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T15O2WGzRp0

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452pvjzlpmI

I don't know if you can view them in your location.

Recently there was an 8-part TV series "The Watch" loosely based on some of the night watch stories, a sort of cyber-punk reimagining - I thought I would hate it but it actually was quite good.

The books are really good though - experienced in amazing technicolour, wide-screen, sense-surround, imagination powered.
I often wonder how Pratchett is considered outside of the UK - to my mind, the humour is very British and therefore may not be "got" by other countries.

I suppose I should exercise my Google-Fu one day and see. Although I try to avoid that company wherever possible.

In ye olden days there was a particular ambush we often found. Dropping in to a signal source to find ten or so cannisters of gold, as soon as you scooped one a horde of pirates would suddenly unmask (seemingly) to pounce on you. "I can't believe that worked" was the accompanying NPC spam message in local. Such fun...

Got to Colonia this morning and taking a look around the place. I want to unlock all the engineers and get some suit/gun upgrades during my time here. Think I'll stay awhile and do some stuff before I go back to the bubble or anywhere else.

If I'm doing this journey again I may hop on a FC or have a better FSD... A max jump of 24.5 ly in my Conda means I must have done over 900 jumps to get here.

I did a surface conflict zone so I can get towards the 10 to unlock an engineer. Looks like there are a variety of oddy missions I can do to stock up on stuff for upgrades too. I'll be hunting some pirates in space soon too.
Well done! :cool:

I just chilled out and built my rep with local factions before heading back on a carrier. Although that was before Odyssey so there may be more engineers out there now.

You're braver than me. I tend to only use the Cobra for salvage missions because my plan of attack is to quickly grab each target individually using limpets before running like hell as my shields are vapourised. It usually works but there's often sweat streaming down my face as I make my escape.

I do a lot of those missions for inf+++ for the faction I support. For me the goal is to get the inf++ as fast as possible. I use alight weight Imperial Courier that boosts to 800m/s+
It's possible to collect all 4 canisters before they start shooting. Pop a heatsink and chaff to disrupt targeting if needed and boost away with the shields barely touched is my strategy. Then make a jump.
Of course, you might prefer the challenge of engaging in the combat

Top Bottom