What are your best & worst game/film-film/game crossover?

I'm tempted to say Silent Hill as I thought the film was pretty good, but will settle on Resident Evil.

Milla Jovovich was great and the first two (maybe three) films were pretty good-to-okay, and RE 4 on the Wii was excellent. Worth noting a RE reboot film seems to be on the cards.

The Doom (film) was so dreadful it wasn't even funny, and I felt short-changed despite digging it out of the very-bargain bin.

So. What do you think?

Thankfully I’ve managed to forget almost everything about the Street Fighter movie with the exception of an image of the characters at the end of the film and my past self thinking: “never watch this again...”

Best computer game film I’ve seen is definitely Edge Of Tomorrow - though that’s more of an adaptation of game mechanics rather than an actual game.

Thankfully I’ve managed to forget almost everything about the Street Fighter movie with the exception of an image of the characters at the end of the film and my past self thinking: “never watch this again...”

Best computer game film I’ve seen is definitely Edge Of Tomorrow - though that’s more of an adaptation of game mechanics rather than an actual game.

"I'm going to get in my boat, and kick Bisons asp so hard, the next Bison wanna be is going to feel it..." Vandam

The guy who played Bison also played Gomez Adams, Raul Julia. Great actor and I guess he had terminal cancer and was very sick during the filming of Street Fighter, his last movie if I remember correctly. I thought it was decent, for a video game arcade fighter adaptation.

Funnily enough, another fighter adaptation I feel was the best video game movie was Mortal Combat, saw that in the theater as a teen. So good.

Last edited:
Star Wars probably has the best adaptations. The whole X-Wing/TIE Fighter franchise is magnificent and was mind-blowing in its day compared to the pixels and lack of scale of WC2 at the time. SW Episode 1 Racer also does a great job with a movie sequence that now seems to have just been made to justify the game.

As for worse, Mario Bros and Double Dragon have been named already, they'd top my list too.

*Have not seen, nor played the following movie/game

No one's gonna mention E.T.? The game so bad, it was buried.

I think there are just too many old-school horrible movie tie-in games to rank them. They generally came with an OCEAN logo on the box. For movie adaptations of games, there's at least some sort of hierarchy with some standing clearly below a generally very low bar.

I think there are just too many old-school horrible movie tie-in games to rank them. They generally came with an OCEAN logo on the box. For movie adaptations of games, there's at least some sort of hierarchy with some standing clearly below a generally very low bar.
True, but how many were so bad they were buried, then cemented over?

• Best game->film adaptation is still Mortal Kombat. It's not good exactly, but it's watchable as heck (in a "Big Trouble in Little China" sort of way), and keeps the spirit of the games without being slavish to it. Fan service done right. Also that techno dance soundtrack and titular song was huge when the movie came out. The less said about the sequels, the better. Hey weird there's going to be a reboot movie soon apparently?

• Best film->game adaptation? I'm not going to touch Star Wars, here, because that's like an entire mythology unto itself at this point and such a no-contest win that it's not even worth discussing. I think maybe Alien vs Predator (2000) could be a contender, depending on how loose you're willing to be with the definition of "film adaptation" (there was no AvP movie at the time of the game's development, so it was aesthetically and conceptually an amalgamation of the Aliens movies and Predator movies). Anyway it's a great game and captures the essence of what those movie monsters, as well as each of their respective settings, was all about. And that includes the asymmetrical, delightfully unbalanced multiplayer modes as well. Uh, and even though it's much more based on the comics/novels, I want to give a shout-out to the Alien vs Predator arcade game by Capcom, possibly the greatest belt-scroller beat-em-up of all time. I'd also argue that the original Aliens movie, for better and for worse, more or less established the template for all videogame characters and plots from that point forward, and the industry has only just begun to recover. Oh wait I don't have to make that argument because someone else already did it for me:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYtQmayyDLA

• Worst game->film adaptation is basically "all of them," but hey how about: Aliens vs Predator? When AVP the movie finally came out, inspired by the numerous comics, games, and that one easter-egg in the last scene of Predator 2, it was absolute unwatchable trash and a veritable new-years fireworks display of both straight-up bad ideas as well as wasted potential. The setting and the setup was decent, they tied it into the larger lore of both the films; even going so far as to cast Lance Henriksen as Charles Weyland, founder of Weyland-Yutani corp, aka "The Company" in Aliens which manufactured the "Bishop" android which was played by . . . Lance Henriksen. There's even a cute little throwaway scene where he's filling out paperwork at his desk and starts playing "the knife game" with his pen in a callback to the famous scene in Aliens. It was essentially Fan Service: The Movie, and this is the key to its undoing as well as the reason it's simultaneously oozing with missed potential. Maybe not the objective worst game->film adaptation, but probably the most disappointing.

• Worst movie->game adaptation, from a historical perspective, has to be ET; a game so infamous it is in the popular consciousness widely blamed for causing the Videogame Crash of 1983. There's even an entire documentary film about the search for a legendary landfill of ET cartridges dumped in the aftermath of the crash.
But for my money the most notably bad movie->game adaptation is Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game; if only because of the beautiful absurdity of its very existence. They took the actors from the (already bad) Street Fighter movie adaptation, and did the whole Mortal Kombat process of photographing them in various poses to build all the sprites for their characters, and naturally it looked terrible and played . . . well not irredeemably terrible, but much much worse than any of the other Street Fighter games, that's for sure.

I have a soft spot for the Tomb Raider films - actually pretty good.

Although, I'm still in therapy from discovering that Arnold Judas Rimmer was Lady Croft's butler... ...gulp... ...yep, still queasy on that one.

Milla....

I thought she was fabulous in The Fifth Element, and proved herself a good actor amongst strong company (imho) with Ian Holm, Gary Oldman and Chris Tucker - all excellent. Oh, and Bruce read some words out loud.

Now, I just need a few more pictures for the... erm... archives...

Last edited:
I have a soft spot for the Tomb Raider films - actually pretty good.

Although, I'm still in therapy from discovering that Arnold Judas Rimmer was Lady Croft's butler... ...gulp... ...yep, still queasy on that one.

I thought she was fabulous in The Fifth Element, and proved herself a good actor amongst strong company (imho) with Ian Holm, Gary Oldman and Chris Tucker - all excellent. Oh, and Bruce read some words out loud.

Now, I just need a few more pictures for the... erm... archives...
I’m pretty sure that was Ace Rimmer doing the butlerin’ there :)

I think The Fifth Element is certainly Ms J’s best film and while she certainly carved a career out of action hero-ing, my second favourite her-film was the Joan of Arc one, The Messenger.

Back on topic, Ocean-movie-tie in was usually a good sign of don’t bother, but they did score two massive hits on my ZX Spectrum with Robocop and Batman: The Movie. Both cracking games (though very similar in many respects).

Can't name a single good video game to movie adaptation. They range from avg to terrible in all shades imho.

Agree.
Though Max Payne could have been so good if they took Max Payne 3 as basis and made it a straightforward action movie with some of the good lines/scenes from the game. Even the original actor has a lot of character.

+1 to the XW and TIE games, Alien isolation and AvP games.

Doom film was such a crock, dropping the "demonic" and "hell" motifs for martian DNA tripe.

Tomb Raider films are ok.

*Have not seen, nor played the following movie/game

No one's gonna mention E.T.? The game so bad, it was buried.

Played this at a friends house and even as an eight year old I remember thinking what the hell is this, its terrible. We played mostly food fight, joust and solaris.

Top Bottom