What are your ideas for Thememaker items

I'm still genuinely worried about the performance impact of custom objects. The scenery browser is already a lagging like crazy with only the assets that are supposedly packaged in a single archive file and properly indexed into the game database, by the developers themselves. Who knows what will happen when the game has to scan a whole mess of separate file headers of various complexity. The Sims games were infamous for taking forever to load once filled up with mods and custom assets.

Also, Frontier still hasn't said anything about LOD models and allowed model complexity. Sure, one custom dome model will be a whole lot more performance friendly that one made of thousands of Vanilla blocks. But does that still count if we have a whole bunch of those from a distance? The vanilla blocks are almost seamlessly replaced by flat surfaces while zooming out, but how will custom objects be rendered then? And will the game handle multiple instances of the same custom object in the optimized and efficient way as it does with duplicates of vanilla items? The custom billboards (e.g. as textured walls, rooftops) need to be used with caution and not excessively since it expands the game's memory footprint very rapidly.

I guess we have to wait and see. I have a hunch that custom objects should be used with caution and in moderation, so I'd temper my enthusiasm.

there won’t be copyright probs because people r creating scenery items that r original. And, of course ppl will takeis seriously. If you’ve seen the stuff ppl made for rct3 then u have nothing to worry about. Peoples imaginations can go pretty far.

And that's the thing. There were some absolutely blinding packs out there for RCT3. Some of them I used more than the in-game stuff. They were truly beautiful. That said, they were sometimes hard to find among a whole raft of "real life" coppies of scenery. You couldn't move for replications of anything Disney, Universal, Cedar Point etc. Selfishly, as a Planco player, I couldn't care less about Disney et al stuff. I try and make my parks as unique and "real-life" as I can. By real life, I mean true to life, not replicas of real parks. So, I'd love to see the generic things that you'd see at a park

By real life, I mean true to life, not replicas of real parks. So, I'd love to see the generic things that you'd see at a park

I agree, I am not too keen on Disneyland props. I want generic to fit many parks. :) Real life yes! Though I would love to see it be given a Planco style graphicwise.

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator
I'm still genuinely worried about the performance impact of custom objects. The scenery browser is already a lagging like crazy with only the assets that are supposedly packaged in a single archive file and properly indexed into the game database, by the developers themselves. Who knows what will happen when the game has to scan a whole mess of separate file headers of various complexity. The Sims games were infamous for taking forever to load once filled up with mods and custom assets.

Also, Frontier still hasn't said anything about LOD models and allowed model complexity. Sure, one custom dome model will be a whole lot more performance friendly that one made of thousands of Vanilla blocks. But does that still count if we have a whole bunch of those from a distance? The vanilla blocks are almost seamlessly replaced by flat surfaces while zooming out, but how will custom objects be rendered then? And will the game handle multiple instances of the same custom object in the optimized and efficient way as it does with duplicates of vanilla items? The custom billboards (e.g. as textured walls, rooftops) need to be used with caution and not excessively since it expands the game's memory footprint very rapidly.

I guess we have to wait and see. I have a hunch that custom objects should be used with caution and in moderation, so I'd temper my enthusiasm.

Some people think that the game may run better because you won’t need to use 1,000 pieces to make 1 item. I’m sure they would’t release the “toolkit” if it wouldincrease the file size. Its all about how much is in the park not how manu things we subscribe to.

I'd like to see some expansion of the custom support parts we got in the 1.7 update. It would sure be nice to have 1/2m, 1m, 8m, even 16m support parts.

In a similar vein, 1/2m square, 1m (and 2m and 4m) x 1/2m, and 1m x 2m "colourable" panels.

A set of art shapes like we already have but 1/2 and 1/4 size. And make them all the same thickness for a change ;)

A bunch more wrought iron curlicues and brackets.

Straight cables that are 1m, 2m, and 8m long.

Straight ropes that are 1m and 8m long.

Raised rib metal roofs.

Corrugated iron wall panels.

Stuff like that.

I'd like to see some expansion of the custom support parts we got in the 1.7 update. It would sure be nice to have 1/2m, 1m, 8m, even 16m support parts.

In a similar vein, 1/2m square, 1m (and 2m and 4m) x 1/2m, and 1m x 2m "colourable" panels.

A set of art shapes like we already have but 1/2 and 1/4 size. And make them all the same thickness for a change ;)

A bunch more wrought iron curlicues and brackets.

Straight cables that are 1m, 2m, and 8m long.

Straight ropes that are 1m and 8m long.

Raised rib metal roofs.

Corrugated iron wall panels.

Stuff like that.

I agree Bullethead, we really do need some smaller pieces of shapes and also all the others you mentions. That would be so nice to have.

In addition, it'd be nice to see a few more diameter styles. Right now the two biggest styles are Coaster Support 1 Large and Coaster Support 4 Large, however, there's a huge difference in diameter between them.

I can totally see artists create entire buildings or even whole scenes as prefab scenery. The building system in Planet Coaster isn't particularly engaging; it feels outdated and can even be frustrating with all its glitches, UI quirks, inconsistent asset library and arbitrary grid. Plus, anyone with experience in 3D modelling depends on essential features to properly align, arrange, mirror and scale work; Tools that are unreliable or missing in the game.

However, the reward is that your work looks pretty sleek, right out of the box; Thanks to Planet Coasters lighting engine and beautifully animated rides and guests. I believe that is what keep people building and cope with the games antics, the destination is worth the wobbly journey.

So imagine when we can build the buildings and plazas in a robust 3D suite of choice and only have to use PlanCo for dressing up the details like nature, lighting and effects. Oh, and struggle with the path editor for a bit to hide some pathfinding hints for guest underneath your carefully crafted plaza of course.

I really would like to know, how the Toolkit will work and what's really possible with the Kit. It does not make much sense to model any objects that can not be implemented later or at least not according to your own ideas.

Water slide pieces, it would be awesome to make a water park in Planet Coaster even if the guests can't ride the water slides

Also more glass panels like triangle glass panels to make glass pyramids and also different glass pieces to make glass domes

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
I'm personally looking forward to people remaking rides around the world as close as possible. I am a huge themepark fan in real life as well and have been to a couple of parks in Europe that deserve to be remade in game! :kingcoaster:

I'm personally looking forward to people remaking rides around the world as close as possible. I am a huge themepark fan in real life as well and have been to a couple of parks in Europe that deserve to be remade in game! :kingcoaster:

If that includes the Efteling, that's what I intend to work on; at least two, maybe three rides: Carnaval Festival, the Pagode (as an "animatronic" if possible), and perhaps Fata Morgana.

They already said it won't let you make new benches and bins. No path items. Only scenery.

That's not what he's asking. Have you opened the link?

If that includes the Efteling, that's what I intend to work on; at least two, maybe three rides: Carnaval Festival, the Pagode (as an "animatronic" if possible), and perhaps Fata Morgana.

I have the Efteling as a work in progress. Started over a year ago. But only bult a quarter and then I got a bit bored with recreating other stuff instead of building my own.

Besides that, the fairytale forest I build has already thousands of pieces.

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/showthread.php/21515-Efteling-(Work-in-Progress)?highlight=efteling

if you are interested. I've added all rides and updated the workshop save this year sometimes, but it's nowhere near completion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom