Newcomer / Intro What cannons...

I have a Conda with a huge and a large cannon (mount points on underside). Because the cannons are mounted close together you can even hit small ships with them after some practice. They deal a lot of damage against hull and with G5 Overcharged engineerig they become devastating. Even against shields. On this Conda I use efficient beams as the primary weapons against shields but I use the cannons in support as much as possible (and feedback cascade railguns to counter shield cells). Here is my Conda on coriolis.io.

Last edited:
The only thing you have to pay attention to is engineering. Just like when using multiple PAs, it is important to NOT end up with cannons with different shell velocities. Because you won't hit anything unless the cannons are pressed right against their hull.

Other than that, what Krieger said - the bigger the better and the rest of armament anti-shield.
I quite like cannons. Arguably they're the best sounding weapon in the game.

Cannons are not the best for resource extraction sites because they run out of ammo. If I'm bounty farming, I always use all pulse lasers, whether i'm using a Sidewinder, Vulture FDL or Corvette.

An Anaconda also isn't the best ship for bounty farming because it's too slow unless you have substantial engineering. You can earn more money with an FDL.

Obviously, if you're not interested in making money fast, you can use whatever ship and weapons you like.

Indeed, ammo is limited on cannons. You can synthesise new ammo (though I almost never use it). I think it depends on your playstyle how much of a problem it is. Personally I don't like hanging around in a RES or CZ for long periods. In a RES I play a minigame to keep a miner alive as long as possible. Inevitably it gets destroyed and then I leave for reloading and cashing vouchers.

Last edited:
I have always found cannons distinctly underwhelming*. I much prefer using MCs which at least hit the target. ;)

* ('cos I am rubbish at combat)

I will say one thing in defense of large cannons: poof BOOOM! poof BOOOM!
Their underwhelmingness or lack thereof purely depends on engineering. Stock, I would agree. Engineered rightly, they'll do the job with style.
They make you feel powerful, more than that they actually are for sure.
But I'm not in this business for world dominance. I'm in it for dem feelz.

Don't ignore a build with gimballed frags all over it. These do need practice since 500m is pushing the edge of the effective range, but once you get the hang of them, it's not a ship, it's a flying chainsaw.

I wouldn't even bother with an incendiary effect for taking down shields. Pure brute force will do the job.

Which is entirely my issue. If I was better at combat no doubt they would be worthwhile but I just can't be bothered to learn how to fight. 🕹
I don't think it's that. Cannons don't really seem to have a place in the world of engineering and void opals. Super penetrator rails are better for module damage, efficient / focused / long range PAs are better for hull damage, credits everywhere mean there's no need for a budget weapon option...

I'm hoping someone is going to tell me why I'm wrong as I'd love to have a useful cannon build, but multis do seem to be the choice if you want to go straight into a haz res.

Long range cannons get the same shot speed as multicannons, it's just the ammo holding them back. Force shell cannons are still fun to use. At the dawn of time, before engineers, before huge multicannons and huge lasers, cannons were fun. Dual huge cannons on a Corvette deleting a Cutter powerplant in a CZ from 100% to zero in one shot were very satisfying.

I don't think it's that. Cannons don't really seem to have a place in the world of engineering and void opals. Super penetrator rails are better for module damage, efficient / focused / long range PAs are better for hull damage, credits everywhere mean there's no need for a budget weapon option...

I'm hoping someone is going to tell me why I'm wrong as I'd love to have a useful cannon build, but multis do seem to be the choice if you want to go straight into a haz res.
There is a massive problem with Plasma Accelerators and Rail Guns, they don't come on gimbal or turret mounts, for me that means they are so inaccurate that I wouldn't be able to hit hanger from inside it. The only fixed mount weapons I use are Seeker Missile launchers.

There is a massive problem with Plasma Accelerators and Rail Guns, they don't come on gimbal or turret mounts, for me that means they are so inaccurate that I wouldn't be able to hit hanger from inside it. The only fixed mount weapons I use are Seeker Missile launchers.
Yes, I should clarify, especially since this a newcomer thread that those things mentioned in my first paragraph aren't easy to use.

However, even when you look a the comparison with multicannons (I'll put frag cannons in the same category as above) there's one other thing to consider which makes cannons impractical and that's engineering. G5 multicannons are available from Todd the Blaster, who is available straight away with modest unlock requirements. G5 cannons are only available from the Sarge or maybe Colonia, which are not going to be accessible quickly. Add the debuff that you get to your opponents hull from using the corrosive effect on one of the multis and it's clear why they're in wider use.

I don't think any engineered cannon can match a g5 overcharged autoloader gimballed or turreted multicannon for hull damage.

Last edited:
Cannons are not meant to be hull killers. They're meant to leave nice big holes where your modules were just a moment before. But it's true, engineering killed cannons. Pre-engineers I ran an AspE with two small beams, two small cannons and two medium multicannons, and it was devastating.

<snip>
I don't think any engineered cannon can match a g5 overcharged autoloader gimballed or turreted multicannon for hull damage.

According to Coriolis the cannons are better than multicannons (both G5 Overcharged with autoloader). I edited my Anaconda build with gimballed cannons and gimballed multicannons (one of each size). As you can see damage against shields is practically the same but against hull the cannons are around 15% better (pips 222, opponent is itself). With fixed cannons (my preference) and fixed multicannons the difference is even more to the advantage of cannons.

In my view an operational disadvantage of multicannons is that you have to keep them on target for roughly 3 secs to do the same damage a cannon does in a single shot. After a cannon's salvo you are free to manoeuvre (or adjust your aim) for 3 secs until the next salvo. I like that.

Top Bottom