What Constitutes as Cheating

Talking about cheating...is already cheating!...Now...pls stay put!...guaaaaaards...

Last edited:
Bye now we all know every pvper is a cheater and FDevs doesn't care ~Joke

But really , I use button mapping software in Elite(and other games) , so i can use all 20 Buttons on my glorious RGB gaming mouse that ED wont naturally let me use, am i an unwitting hacker? and if not now, will i be?
Unless your mapping software has been "authorised" by FD then according to FD's rules you are cheating. It might be fun to ask FD for an exhaustive list of such software so that we know whether we can continue playing their game or not.

Unless your mapping software has been "authorised" by FD then according to FD's rules you are cheating. It might be fun to ask FD for an exhaustive list of such software so that we know whether we can continue playing their game or not.
FD arnt the most open and outwardly devs ild doubt this would happen

I would not see mapping an in game control to a device as cheating. You are not changing the game in some way that was not intended.

Changing the game in an unintended way is cheating. Scripting to change statistics is cheating. Using an exploit to circumvent the normal game functions (like the 5/1 engineering exploit) is cheating.

Since Roccat power grid went away (which I barely got chance to use), I'm back to just using my gamepad, and tapping the odd key on my keyboard.

If I can find another similar app, I'll have my phone set up for a load of useful hot keys, because my gamepad has run out of bindings.
I don't consider this cheating at all, because it's not my fault the game has 10,000,000 bindings. Lol

I also use assistance software, like EDMC, EDR, EDDB, and that voiceover thingie that got on my nerves. Lol etc.
All these do is give more information on a situation, rather than effect the situation.

IMHO, cheating is manipulation of code, or network traffic. So, trainers and combat logging, or traffic shaping.

Too Soon?

OYMaxYI.jpg

I would not see mapping an in game control to a device as cheating. You are not changing the game in some way that was not intended.

Changing the game in an unintended way is cheating. Scripting to change statistics is cheating. Using an exploit to circumvent the normal game functions (like the 5/1 engineering exploit) is cheating.
This. Also quitting by terminating your internet connection is cheating.

Every time I do any reloging to get materials I feel like Im cheating. Im cheting on myself. Im lieing to myself trying to convince myself that its ok, that its better than it was. If I would be honest with myself I would have crushed ship to a planet like Jameson long time ago. And I would leave same fake message as him.

Yes, nobody talkes about it but its truth. Jameson's death wasnt about Thargoids, about The Club, he just couldnt take grind anymore.

And now? Now what? Now Im going to barber or I'll be too late as usuall.

Using software or hardware macros to perform a single action, even if it's more than one keystroke, is not considered cheating. One example would be requesting docking permission.
I can't find the official statement because I still didn't finish my first coffee, but I'll continue looking.
Using macros for PIP management is also not considered cheating. CMDR Exigeous explicitly asked support about it.

Edit: According to this Reddit post, you are a cheater. One key press should only equal one action.

Last edited:
Every time I do any reloging to get materials I feel like Im cheating. Im cheting on myself. Im lieing to myself trying to convince myself that its ok, that its better than it was. If I would be honest with myself I would have crushed ship to a planet like Jameson long time ago. And I would leave same fake message as him.

Yes, nobody talkes about it but its truth. Jameson's death wasnt about Thargoids, about The Club, he just couldnt take grind anymore.

And now? Now what? Now Im going to barber or I'll be too late as usuall.
I use automation software and I am cheating every time I request docking or leaving a station. I have to see with my lawyer if I can sue FD for selling cheats.

Button mapping is very different then script hacking.
So... when I used the button-mapping feature of my keyboard to automatically sell 250t of biowaste 1t at a time with a single keypress, when testing to see if this was actually a broken aspect of the BGS or not (which it was; target faction lost 30% influence overnight)... that was legit right? :D

Corollary: Context and intent matters a lot, not just the capability involved.

Top Bottom