What even is "Grinding".

If you had read my post properly you would have understood that it was a subset of PvPers I was talking about.
I read your post properly. You wrote:
I am starting to think that Engineering's not the problem, "grinding" is not the problem, Frontier is not the problem and ED most certainly is not the problem. The problem is that group within the PvP community who just seem to exist to spread negativity
Suggesting that grinding isn't the problem as it's only a complaint from a group within the PvP community. This is flat out wrong. There are many different types of player who complain about the grind in ED.

It's not only PvP players who think that there is too much grind. The only PvP that I've experienced in this game was getting one-shotted by a silent running FGS at a CG, a couple of duels with a mate in the early days flying Eagles and getting rail gunned while trying to get into a station in a cargo ship.

Not all PvP players are gankers. Aren't there groups who organised tournaments fuelling in cheap ships?

I think you're overestimating the excitement around carriers. No doubt within the echo chamber of remaining players and the forums there are players excited by this, but I can't see hordes of players coming back to check them out. I reckon it's easily possible to continue to play outside of squadrons and never to see a carrier.

They also seem to have very limited applications. I mean what exactly are they going to be used for? Jumping squadrons 500ly at a time? What are the other benefits? Genuine question.
Have you read the thread after the fleet carriers info release? There is a lot of excitement. Not sure why, not interested in a fleet carrier meself, but there are a lot of people who are very excited about this. Read the thread then comment.

I read your post properly. You wrote:

Suggesting that grinding isn't the problem as it's only a complaint from a group within the PvP community. This is flat out wrong. There are many different types of player who complain about the grind in ED.
Aye, but reading the last couple of threads, most of the moaners were PvPers.....

I think you're overestimating the excitement around carriers. No doubt within the echo chamber of remaining players and the forums there are players excited by this, but I can't see hordes of players coming back to check them out. I reckon it's easily possible to continue to play outside of squadrons and never to see a carrier.

They also seem to have very limited applications. I mean what exactly are they going to be used for? Jumping squadrons 500ly at a time? What are the other benefits? Genuine question.

Have you read the thread after the fleet carriers info release? There is a lot of excitement. Not sure why, not interested in a fleet carrier meself, but there are a lot of people who are very excited about this. Read the thread then comment.

I can think of a few reasons to be interested:
  • It's new in a time when we haven't seen the high velocity of major gameplay updates
  • It's largely an unknown in terms of specifics and details behind the full benefits it might provide
  • It could be a solution to the issue of timed ship transfer
  • It could serve as a mobile base of operations where station/outpost access is less than convenient
  • They look cool from what was shown
  • Their docking capacity seems generous
  • So far no rep/unlock requirements have been announced
There's plenty of room for excitement at the intersection of newness and speculation.

• It's new in a time when we haven't seen the high velocity of major gameplay updates
  • It's largely an unknown in terms of specifics and details behind the full benefits it might provide
  • It could serve as a mobile base of operations where station/outpost access is less than convenient
There's plenty of room for excitement at the intersection of newness and speculation.
Probably a good way for Squadrons/Clans to fly the flag too & recruit. A good way of showing power projection that a squadron is currently present in that system. I guess it depends how the instances works, but i'd imagine they will show up as assets in a system.

Aye, but reading the last couple of threads, most of the moaners were PvPers.....

yeah perhaps, doesn't mean there wrong though. Although to be fair, i don't think i've seen any commanders i'd regard as the PvPer really bothering to comment in these threads.

Last edited:
Well, you went from "the only people complaining about grind are PvPers" to "most of the moaners" within a couple of posts, so I'll be taking your further posts (including this one) with a pinch of salt.:sneaky:

Issue here is that it adds nothing to the gameplay that doesn't already exist. Nothing. It's been a waste of dev resources. If you disagree then reply with the new gameplay features that are added.

Issue here is that it adds nothing to the gameplay that doesn't already exist. Nothing. It's been a waste of dev resources. If you disagree then reply with the new gameplay features that are added.

If we want to be technical jumping what is effectively a personal megaship in real time rather than waiting for weekly server ticks and dev intervention is new.

For more than that we need to wait and see what else comes out. But given the way caps ships work now, I'm not sure what else people were expecting other than dockable ship transport and a credit sink.

Well it's a new grind added on top, so people can be busy figuring out what it is that they are continuously grinding for. By now I rather think the general game loop just became grinding for grind sake.

If we want to be technical jumping what is effectively a personal megaship in real time rather than waiting for weekly server ticks and dev intervention is new.

For more than that we need to wait and see what else comes out. But given the way caps ships work now, I'm not sure what else people were expecting other than dockable ship transport and a credit sink.
But that hasn't been announced - there's nothing about 'jumping in real time'. What has been said is scheduled jumps - what do you think that means?

Sorry, but I'm not sure I'm following you. Which one is "choking this forum with constant and unrelenting negativity"?

Pointing out that a video game has certain bugs or design flaws, on a public forum specifically created for discussions about said game?

Or pointing out that someone had a false statement in one of their posts?
Still waiting for you to explain the last sentence.....

Well, you went from "the only people complaining about grind are PvPers" to "most of the moaners" within a couple of posts, so I'll be taking your further posts (including this one) with a pinch of salt.:sneaky:
No, I did not say that the only people complaining about grind are PvPers. It was more of a general comment that there are SOME PvPers who gank other players, and who will also be on these threads moaning because they can't get God ships, because they don't like deep space mining, running missions, trading etc. They only like blowing up other player's ships. That is all they are interested in. So why they are playing ED is beyond me. To get that God ship you have to be happy to run missions, check out USS's, do some exploration, drive around on planets and shoot some rocks and do a heckuva lot of bounty hunting. Hardly the sort of activities that would appeal to people who are only interested in destroying other people's ships!

So this was why I was asking if there is not maybe a game out there that is more PvP-orientated? Then they could all blow each others ships up so the rest of us don't get ganked and don't have to listen to their moaning on this forum.

TBH I am not sure how many PvPers are in this thread, just had a quick look and it is impossible to figure out how many of the moaners are PvPers and how many aren't. So I coulda been wrong there, coulda been right? Any moaners, sorry, people with legitimate complaints about the excessive effort that is required to collect materials to engineer their ships, wanna tell me if they're PvPers or PvEers? A quick head count would be useful!

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not going to copy/paste the reply I gave you yesterday, I'm on a phone atm.
But you did not explain what your comment meant in that reply so I 'm still in the dark as to what the comment actually means! Was it supposed to mean something or was it just a pointless and meaningless comment?

Last edited:
There is a VERY long thread developing after that announcement. Feel free to read it! I got a few pages in and got bored, not really that interested in owning a fleet carrier meself. But it looks like a lot of players are, and they are very happy that those behemoths are on the way! 😃

The problem with CQC isn't that it's not good. It's that it is a separate game and not integrated into ED. As people keep saying, if only you could jump in for a match when docked, then there would be people playing.
Well, I think WinterKing suggested that a new game where you can just jump in and fight would be better for PvP players. That's why I mentioned CQC, recognising that it counts as a separate game.

TBH the complaints about grind from PvP enthusiasts are the only ones where I see some validity. They have a particular favourite activity in view and have to do a lot of completely different stuff before they can join in with their friends who are already having a good time. OTOH PvE players just need to git gud at having fun.

Top Bottom