What Features do you want for Space Legs in The Next Era?

The upcoming expansion The Next Era probably has space legs according to the leaks (December 2020). So what kind of features would you like to see? Here's a wish list:
  • Hunt wild alien creatures (gives materials, can be sold for credits)
  • First person style shooter and melee combat
  • Battle human players, NPCs and Thargoids
  • Missions such as infiltrate a pirate base with multiple solutions (combat, stealth or negotiator/pacifist)
  • Accessible ship interiors (for big ships like the Normandy of Mass Effect: cockpit, captain's quarters, bridge, engineering, crew quarters, cargo bay, hangar bay, conference center, medical lab, observation deck)
  • Zero gravity in small ships. Float or use magnetic boots to walk
  • Ship interior should be designed for zero gravity use. For example the kitchen could be on the ceiling
  • Base building (custom design with lots of options)
  • Lots of cosmetics to customize ship and base interiors, player and NPC outfits
  • Faction costumes for roleplay (Alliance, Empire and Federation)
  • Bigger procedural cities on planets (just fun to walk or drive with the SRV, doesn't need many activities)
  • Walk around in a station (a few areas are sufficient such as in the station hangar, a bar, walk way with a nice view and a few shops, like the Citadel of Mass Effect)
  • Go outside the ship for manual repairs in space
  • Survival mechanics on planets (players must have enough food, energy and health to survive while exploring a planet)
  • Basic first person mining on planets
  • Weapon and suit upgrades (these can be bought or crafted with materials)
  • Hoverboard to reduce travel time (faster than walking, but slower than an SRV, like Back to the Future)
P.S. this thread is not for complaining that you don't like space legs.

This is a related post on the ED subreddit. The highest rated comment by JetsonRING has 1300 upvotes.

"Do you want space legs for elite dangerous? If there is relevant gameplay added to the game then yes. If FDev models the rest of the ship's interiors then yes. If FDev models the interiors of space stations and outposts, creates relevant gameplay around that then yes.

If all I can do is stand up in my ship's cockpit and take screenshots, then no."

If the expansion is coming to the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X then it must have next-gen graphical fidelity.

Last edited:
The upcoming expansion The Next Era probably has space legs (December 2020). So what kind of features would you like to see? Here's a wish list:
  • Missions such as infiltrate a pirate base with multiple solutions (combat, stealth or negotiator/pacifist)
  • Accessible ship interiors (for big ships like the Normandy of Mass Effect: cockpit, captain's quarters, bridge, engineering, crew quarters, cargo bay, hangar bay, conference center, medical lab, observation deck)
  • Ship interior should be designed for zero gravity use. For example the kitchen could be on the ceiling etc
  • Lots of cosmetics to customize ship and base interiors, player and NPC outfits
  • Faction costumes for roleplay (Alliance, Empire an Federation)
  • Bigger procedural cities on planets (just fun to walk or drive with the SRV, doesn't need many activities)
  • Walk around in a station (a few areas are sufficient such as in the station hangar, a bar, walk way with a nice view and a few shops, like the Citadel of Mass Effect)
  • Survival mechanics on planets (players must have enough food, energy and health to survive while exploring a planet)

This pretty much sums it up for me, if we can get half of this I'd be very happy.

I don't like space legs.

Than your going to be really sad come 2020.

I enjoy space legs in Space Engineers. Performing repairs after battle is a very common and enjoyed science fiction trope. Subnautica is another example of great legs and ship repair mechanics.

I'd also like to be able to customize my ship's internal layout. Make modules more than just a menu system - allow us to place flexible modules (cargo holds, refineries, etc) in different physical slots on our ship using a map, and give us tools to interconnect these with hallways, ladders, conveyors, etc. I almost think Frontier will have to do this if they allow us to explore our ship like a base, because there are so many possible combinations of modules in the larger ships that I'm having a hard time believing a procedural mapping system won't screw it up.

The upcoming expansion The Next Era probably has space legs (December 2020). So what kind of features would you like to see? Here's a wish list:
  • Ship interior should be designed for zero gravity use. For example the kitchen could be on the ceiling
  • Hoverboard to reduce travel time (faster than walking, but slower than an SRV, like Back to the Future)
Most of the above. The only thing I would question is having a kitchen on the ceiling. There will be times like landing on planets where gravity exists, and not being able to get to your kitchen would be a real pain the back side.

• Everything that can be done in The Mandalorian

Unabashedly reposting this

DB and FDev need to remake/overhaul ED game mechanics to play like existing (and successful) space leg sims the likes of Space Engineers, Empyrion Galactic NMS and X4. The immersion and high replay value from the space legs feature alone would add invaluable emergent game play. Considerably extend the shelf life of existing structured and sandbox missions in ED in the combat/exploration/trading/mining loops. So it would be great if it's possible for the existing game engine to add these features to the 2020 update:
  • Space Engineer/Empyrion Galactic style RNG atmospheric planets for every RNG earth like worlds the game generates in the ED galaxy. Instead of an existing POI signal which only gives Cmndrs the ability to scan, make these REAL POIs in NMS/Empyrion style. Where Cmndrs can explore and interact with flora/fauna/alien structures on foot or in their SRVs. Just like you currently can in these games and in Space Engineers.
  • NMS style RNG generated flora and fauna (in ED graphics) on earth like and non earth-like worlds. With RNG POIs to encourage exploration like in NMS and Empyrion
  • Executive Assault 2 style boarding, invasion and capture of NPC and/or player ships and FCs in PvE and PvP encounters. Being able to build your custom space station HQ on orbit. Be able to craft/build/generate your own custom robot (at 0:49 to 0:59 in video below) drones that you direct and control to commandeer NPC and other Cmndr ships. Either strategically from your bridge or tactically leading them directly in a FPS assault in 1st POV. Now THIS is one space feature from Executive Assault 2 where ED could truly prosper since it has SO. MUCH. POTENTIAL. for adding emergent game play to existing game loops
  • Space Engineer style sandbox crafting ability. Give Cmdrs the capacity to build their own customized bases and interior spaces (basically anything!) But from an ED perspective, this would be limited to custom player HQs/bases (on planets and on orbit in space), harvesting resources/mats to repair, upgrade our ships/SRVs and store resources/mats in player inventories (for personal and other uses). Have Space Engineer ability to build defensive, customizable, safe zone shields around your planetary bases like shown at 17:13 and 19:44 in the latest Space Engineer Economy Update
  • Extremely light survival HuD elements that could be toggled on/off as desired by player. This would consist of several simple HuD bars or percentage meter indicators that would track player oxygen usage, require eating and drinking at least once per day (or player's health bar will be adversely affected), and sleeping at player's discretion (less sleep, the more the health bar depletes).
Like how Space Engineers uses these basic HUD meters (lower left corner) to track the player's health, oxygen, hydrogen usage (and space suit power) while in the vacuum of space (which are vital feature if you're on a non earth like atmospheric planet). Note the player's hot menu inventory HUD element at the bottom of the screen as well. This hot key menu allows the player to quickly access stored items like tools, resources/mats needed to transport, build, repair, and/or craft items (like their space ships, space base/HQs, land craft/hover craft, and air breathing ships/hovercraft) on the fly:
sehud.PNG

Here is another example of a basic player HUD mod which adds simple hunger/thirst survival element indicators to the existing Space Engineer HUD. This simple mod allows you to grow/synthesize food and water. And then tracks your hunger and thirst intake daily by simple percentages. Once your hunger/thirst stats fall below a designated percentage (which player can tweak) the percentage turn red to give player a visual indicator their health bar is being adversely affected:
sehudmod.PNG

Where the player can mine ice and build/buy a heater module to process water. Or harvest hydrogen and oxygen gas and build/buy a reactor to synthesize water. Or buy/craft a hydroponics module, add water seeds and fertilizer to grow fresh fruits/veggies in their HQ. Harvest this fresh produce and/or combine it with existing market commodities food. Combine these in a craftable/buyable bioreactor module to produce higher quality foods on your space station HQ etc. THAT would add tons of emergent game play to ED IMO.

Seriously, what's the point of trading commercial food items like coffee etc. when your Holo Me doesn't get hungry, thirsty or sleepy? Apart from the function need for the BGS, why even bother to RP/pretend the 2D menu based NPCs in the universe need any of this subsistence at all?
  • Subnautica underwater exploration for earth like planets with water bodies. With RNG POIs to encourage exploration and incentives to map the underwater portion of planets
underwater exploration in normal temperate zone Earth like worlds

underwater exploration on the promised ice planets (not as dramatic and eco friendly fauna saving as shown here, but you get the idea). Be able to make explorer income from underwater and surface exploration/mapping of marine fauna on ice worlds for example

• Have The Outer Worlds type "space legs" where you never see your feet (or hands) but can experience full motion and world exploration from a fixed 1st POV. Take damage to your Holo Me health from falling//jumping above certain heights. Experience 1st POV hostile encounters with RNG hostile flora/fauna, NPCs and/or other Cmdrs using at least the primitive FPS style combat you get in The Outer Worlds (worst case) to CoD style FPS combat (best case).

Last edited:
Well I'm playing Mass Effect Andromeda atm and I must say that it's spacelegs and rover activities are quite inspiring.
Alien structures to explore, wildlife to hunt, hostile factions to shoot, mining, settlements to found, etc. etc.

I'm aware Fdev can't implement alll that in Mass Effect style but to me it is very inspiring, and fun too.

To be honest my expectations are very low regarding the 2020 update so I probably won't be disappointed anyway.

I want missions that require me to fly to a planet,
fly low, hugging the landscape towards a base,
put my ship down out of sensor range,
then I need to don my black, or camouflaged stealthy spacesuit and sneak up to the base, or use a small vehicle to get close
then I need to observe the base from a distance, using my binoculars, or perhaps a remote drone,
I need to asses the defenses of the base, take note of the patrols and then sneak into the base
I can take out opposition with silenced weapons, knifes, or I might stun them
then I find my way into the base, I might even pretend to belong there (perhaps I stole a security pass, there should be different options to do things)
I will then hookup to a computer and steal data, or perhaps need to assassinate a particular person etc.
Before the entire base becomes aware of my presence I need to sneak out and get back to my ship, or perhaps I can place an explosive to distract the guard while I leave the area
etc. etc.

What we definitely need is a good A.I. ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Last edited:
I think I'll wait to see what 2020 brings, if it is legs and a FPS gameplay (or even just legs) it is very unlikely to make it onto my PC. If it is the massive content update sans-legs then it may be purchased, if the content is sufficient to complement the existing game. While we know absolutely nothing regarding 2020 it is pointless to speculate over what might be in my opinion.

I think it would be fun to walk around my ship, space stations and the various installations and cities. Maybe there could be some kind of EVA option to repair/upgrade the ship's hull or other machinery encountered while exploring or as part of missions. Getting inside some of the megaships and installations that do not currently have docking facilities using airlocks, would be fun too.

Something I've not seen mentioned anywhere in any of the many space legs discussions is a consideration of what happens when we are killed as seems inevitable if combat is a significant component of any hypothetical space legs update. Do we wake up in our space ships and it was all a dream? Or are we to stretch the notion of telepresence beyond breaking point? Or do Frontier go full Ironman on us and kill off our commander and make us start from the beginning again in a sidewinder.... oh the saltiness!

Top Bottom