What other games are we all playing?

I need to see what cool, exclusive games there are on PC. For example, are there any modern versions of WWII submarine games with the look and feel of Silent Hunter? Oh, and Stronghold 2 (where you build castles) is an old favorite of mine - anything new in that regard? I guess you can tell when last it was that I played PC games, LOL.
I hear good things about U-Boat, though I haven't tried it, yet. I play Cold Waters and although it is not WWII and it is not a real submarine sim, it's kind of awesome and the sonar and torpedo mechanics are really well done.

As for building castles, if you liked Stronghold 2, there's... well... Stronghold 3. :LOL:

I need to see what cool, exclusive games there are on PC. For example, are there any modern versions of WWII submarine games with the look and feel of Silent Hunter? Oh, and Stronghold 2 (where you build castles) is an old favorite of mine - anything new in that regard? I guess you can tell when last it was that I played PC games, LOL.
Submarine type folks are still playing SH3 with the GWS mod...and a bit of SH5 occasionally. The new kid on the block, U-boat isn't too bad...but I find it more like 'The Sims do U-boats' as there's a great amount of crew management involved rather than traditional Silent Hunter stuff. It's pretty good though and very enjoyable.

Screenie from SH5...with mods.

hMnZW3i.jpg

Definitely look at Uboot sub sim, we have a topic about it right here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/uboat.447466/

Not as in depth as Silent Hunter 2/3 but still very good submariner game.
Very good Polish developer as well, very active and in constant contact with the community.

Submarine type folks are still playing SH3 with the GWS mod...and a bit of SH5 occasionally. The new kid on the block, U-boat isn't too bad...but I find it more like 'The Sims do U-boats' as there's a great amount of crew management involved rather than traditional Silent Hunter stuff. It's pretty good though and very enjoyable.

hMnZW3i.jpg

Ugh, I looooved SH4 in the Pacific, those US Fleetboats where fantastic.
I never cared much about playing as a German Uboat in WW2.

Not really instead of ED, but World of Warcraft Classic has drawn me back to WoW. I tend to play a bit of ED after work, then a bit of WoW in the late evening before bed time.

Why the attraction to Classic? Well, it is slow and complex, and it doesn't hold your hand. Having to cross large distances at a sedate pace just to get to something trained that is only available from a single provider may feel frustrating at first (it takes 20 minutes to run from Thunder Bluff to Orgrimmar), but the rewards are worth it. And you get to see the game world in all its glory. Sounds familiar?

:D S

Nomansky pretty much all the time, I really like the new update as game pretty much plays like NMS 2.
Occasional I jump back to ED for some relaxing exploration (I finally got use to radio tuning scanner - its not as bad as I thought earlier) to make pretty pictures.

In Minecraft Survival I was attacked by a tribe of blocky, gray skinned tribesmen who chased me for miles shooting crossbow bolts at me and shouting "Hrrrmph! Hrrrmph!" over and over! Honestly, I was terrified more than any other game I've ever played.

Looks like I'll be playing the Ghost Recon Breakpoint beta in a couple of days time, 5th to the 8th of this month...pre-loading it now :)

hMnZW3i.jpg
I quite like it and they are quite at it with the updates.

In Minecraft Survival I was attacked by a tribe of blocky, gray skinned tribesmen who chased me for miles shooting crossbow bolts at me and shouting "Hrrrmph! Hrrrmph!" over and over! Honestly, I was terrified more than any other game I've ever played.

I've always played the game in hardcore, with health regeneration turned off. When I returned to the game, I lost three saves to those guys before I started to fear their "Hrrrmph!" as much as a witch's cackle or the sounds of spiders in an abandoned mine. Thankfully, a new source of healing, the "suspicious stew" made with an oxeye daisy, is available. Unfortunately, it only provides one heart and can only be used when you're hungry.

After the third lost save, I stopped making houses surrounded by fences, and started building proper fortifications. When I got distracted by another game, I had expanded the outer walls (a simple two block high wall) three times as my fields and cattle pens grew, and I had decided that I needed a proper moat and walls. The moat was excavated, a gatehouse constructed, and... that was about as far as I got, beyond the two block high wall along the edge of the moat. :)

ONI new colony founded. First real serious try after release.
Got the basic stuff running - now switch to electrolyzer oxygen is up. Made from desalinated water. With heat dump in saltwater biome and water cooling loop planned. Big plans. Unfortunately it's gonna cost a lot of power so I need to break down:
1) oxy gen + coal gen
1a) fat power lines + deco
2) Nat gas power plant from nearby gas vent
2a) atmosuits for faster working
3) desalination
4) cooling loop

Further down the line is oil cracking and maybe petroleum cooling loop with thermal nullifier I spotted to the south.
Also some meta plans include a gourmet kitchen and thinking about a quantum storage pile.

Speaking of Minecraft, I own the "old" pre-Microsoft license. IIRC, I can use this to get the Microsoft (non-Java) version. Is this correct? If so, does Microsoft's version allow all the modding that the Java version allows? Can I use the Microsoft version and still keep my Java version for my Linux install?

I've always played the game in hardcore, with health regeneration turned off. When I returned to the game, I lost three saves to those guys before I started to fear their "Hrrrmph!" as much as a witch's cackle or the sounds of spiders in an abandoned mine. Thankfully, a new source of healing, the "suspicious stew" made with an oxeye daisy, is available. Unfortunately, it only provides one heart and can only be used when you're hungry.

After the third lost save, I stopped making houses surrounded by fences, and started building proper fortifications. When I got distracted by another game, I had expanded the outer walls (a simple two block high wall) three times as my fields and cattle pens grew, and I had decided that I needed a proper moat and walls. The moat was excavated, a gatehouse constructed, and... that was about as far as I got, beyond the two block high wall along the edge of the moat. :)
Lacks redstone, imo. Every fort needs portcullis, too - especially with moat. And retractable bridge. Also higher walls. And towers. Dont forget glacis!

Top Bottom