What other games are we all playing?

I agree. I loved driving around Hawaii in Test Drive Unlimited, so I looked for a similar kind of "open world racing" title, and Forza Horizon 4 delivers. The only things that slightly annoying is, being in the UK, I have to drive on the wrong side of the road, but I got used to it after a while. And the car customization, out of this world.

I just wish Ride 3 had a similar open world structure, I would love cruising around with all those hundreds of motorbikes.
If 300+ hours of playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 has taught me anything it's that people in the UK are the ones driving on the wrong side of the road:)

If 300+ hours of playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 has taught me anything it's that people in the UK are the ones driving on the wrong side of the road:)

I agree, Forza Horizon 4 is also in UK so I too have to drive on the wrong side of the road. Most of europe knows how to drive properly, UK is the exception.

I agree, Forza Horizon 4 is also in UK so I too have to drive on the wrong side of the road. Most of europe knows how to drive properly, UK is the exception.

Also, Ireland.

To be fair though, having grown up on the right side and later moved to the left, I ended up finding the left-side driving more comfortable. It works better with right-of-way being, well, to the right. Whether you're at a junction, a roundabout, or on foot about to cross the road, you always look right first. The continent should have adopted priority to the left when they decided to drive on the right, but ah, too late for that now, and it makes an amusing twist in games.

Euro Truck Simulator fails to convey some regional traffic quirks. For instance, italians drive like complete madman. I spent 4 days in Naples to climb Mount Vesuvius and visit the Phlagrean Fields supervolcano, and I must say that I feared driving the rental car and even crossing roads as a pedestrian much, much more than the 2 dormant (but very much alive) volcanic behemoths that surround the city of Naples. Those people when driving are completely insane. I should have a "I drove a car in Naples and survived" T-Shirt .

Euro Truck Simulator fails to convey some regional traffic quirks. For instance, italians drive like complete madman. I spent 4 days in Naples to climb Mount Vesuvius and visit the Phlagrean Fields supervolcano, and I must say that I feared driving the rental car and even crossing roads as a pedestrian much, much more than the 2 dormant (but very much alive) volcanic behemoths that surround the city of Naples. Those people when driving are completely insane. I should have a "I drove a car in Naples and survived" T-Shirt .

As an Italian, I feel entitled to consider myself rightly offended by this awfully stereotypical portrait of our-pfffft sorry couldn't keep a straight face, yes indeed, totally legit, driving in Southern Italy is total madness. Glad you came back in one piece. 😂
It actually looks to be a trait weirdly related to latitude, the more you travel to the South the more you descend into the heart of darkness of "driving like it's Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome". I live in the North and it's already a messy affair, but compared to when I go for holidays in the center or south, my city feels like Oslo. And my city probably compares to Oslo like Naples compares to my city. 😅

That said, the amount of times in Forza 4 I only noticed I was driving in the wrong lane when I was inches from a full frontal due to the force of abitude is, to be delicate, "embarassing"...
What an enjoyable game it is though. All those cars. Those hilariously good graphics. A bit of a shame engine sounds didn't get the same love.

As an Italian, I feel entitled to consider myself rightly offended by this awfully stereotypical portrait of our-pfffft sorry couldn't keep a straight face, yes indeed, totally legit, driving in Southern Italy is total madness. Glad you came back in one piece. 😂
It actually looks to be a trait weirdly related to latitude, the more you travel to the South the more you descend into the heart of darkness of "driving like it's Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome". I live in the North and it's already a messy affair, but compared to when I go for holidays in the center or south, my city feels like Oslo. And my city probably compares to Oslo like Naples compares to my city. 😅

That said, the amount of times in Forza 4 I only noticed I was driving in the wrong lane when I was inches from a full frontal due to the force of abitude is, to be delicate, "embarassing"...
What an enjoyable game it is though. All those cars. Those hilariously good graphics. A bit of a shame engine sounds didn't get the same love.
From what I’ve seen, that seems to hold true no matter what country you live in. I think it has to do with how much snow drivers deal with on a yearly basis...

We up in the freezing North saw just as much snow as those lazy tanned Southerners in the last decades, as in "just about zero". To be honest, it actually snows more down there than up here at times. Climate change? Shenanigans, I tell you!
Anyway, you'll just need to see a single snowflake making contact with the tarmac to see people going totally haywire. Drivers stopping with full green light, an utmost disregard of any possibile priority rule, people crossing trams and buses like they were driving ambulances, others going at 30 km/h on the overtake lane, you'll really see everything. It's like the Hell logs from the Event Horizon movie, just with snow instead of blood.

Speaking of snow:
AUXu9v6.png

mDu0pve.png

mQbHBHm.png

See? I'm driving in the right* lane! :)

* "right" as in...you get it....

Any more word on when 3.0 & The Split dlc is releasing for X4? I bought the collectors edition before the game released and I'm starting to wonder how far down the road that second dlc is.

Any more word on when 3.0 & The Split dlc is releasing for X4? I bought the collectors edition before the game released and I'm starting to wonder how far down the road that second dlc is.

Still aiming for 1st quarter 2020 as far as I know, sadly I have no idea how it's actually going or if there's any possible stopper along the road. Not that I could talk about it even if I knew! (But I don't, honest, I'm just a volunteer translator). What I know for sure is that they're working full steam on it, so hang on and brace for release. :)
(All the while I'm bit lagging behind with my little slice of work. Less Forza and Elite, more WordReference! 😅)

Ugh you're so right about the traffic in southern Italy.
We've been on vacation there last summer and spent a couple days in Napels too.
I couldn't have been more happy that I turned in my rental car before entering the city using a taxi.
It's utter traffic hell there and I thought Amsterdam was bad.
The Netherlands is a place of contemplation, tranquility and serenity compared to southern Italy when it comes to traffic.

On topic though, I liked Forza Horizons 3 better due to the more tropical setting, but it's rather flat compared to FH4.

I started playing some of my games that are a few years old that I didnt finish or didnt get enough of my time when they were newer. Somehow i didnt like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided when it was new but i appreciate it a lot more now. Maybe its just in anticipation of Cyberpunk 2077.

I completed (the main quest, not bothered about horde etc) Strange brigade along with the DLC with my 2 gaming mates last week....... now that is uninstalled it is time to go back to Dying light, the main game of that is already done but that has a chunky DLC campaign to do as well.

once that is finished it will be back to try to wrap up Torchlight 2 (about 20 hrs in but that is a big game)..... Also Playing The Division and Borderlands 2 (again),

on my own I am playing ETS2 and I am thinking of dipping back into ED as well..... That all sounds a lot, but i game maybe 6 hrs in a week so generally takes a while to get through a full game.

I would like to plough through Doom (2016) I am perhaps 1/3 - 1/2 of the way through it but finding it a bit of a slog so not been back to it in 6 months. I feel I ought to finish it but not enjoying it that much, but its taking up ...90GB iirc of valuable HDD space.

Doom 3 is the only Doom game I have truly loved, and that is the one that the "real" Doom fans complained about and felt it wasnt a true Doom game. That is more of a slow paced horror game rather than a fast action shooter.

Last edited:
On topic though, I liked Forza Horizons 3 better due to the more tropical setting, but it's rather flat compared to FH4.

Indeed it is! :D

kdEV8qR.png

Doom 3 is the only Doom game I have truly loved, and that is the one that the "real" Doom fans complained about and felt it wasnt a true Doom game. That is more of a slow paced horror game rather than a fast action shooter.

If you mean Doom as in a "genre-defining" sense, Doom 3 indeed isn't a "real" Doom, having a rather different gameplay from what made Doom what it is. That didn't make it a bad game at all to me though, it's a good game, just in a different genre. "Real" fans don't exist in my opinion, for just about everything. Everyone will be a "real" fan of something in his own ways and with his own very polarized ideas competing with other "real" fans. (It's a dangerous discussion to start having, so I'll just stop here :p)

Personally, as much as I have appreciated Doom 3 in its own way (the BFG edition is far more enjoyable in that regard, 22nd century weapons with attached flashlight without having to use mods, whoohoo!), I saw Doom 2016 as the actual new Doom I've been waiting for years. Rip and tear, until it's done.

If you mean Doom as in a "genre-defining" sense, Doom 3 indeed isn't a "real" Doom, having a rather different gameplay from what made Doom what it is. That didn't make it a bad game at all to me though, it's a good game, just in a different genre. "Real" fans don't exist in my opinion, for just about everything. Everyone will be a "real" fan of something in his own ways and with his own very polarized ideas competing with other "real" fans. (It's a dangerous discussion to start having, so I'll just stop here :p)

Personally, as much as I have appreciated Doom 3 in its own way (the BFG edition is far more enjoyable in that regard, 22nd century weapons with attached flashlight without having to use mods, whoohoo!), I saw Doom 2016 as the actual new Doom I've been waiting for years. Rip and tear, until it's done.
i didnt mean real in any slight... i meant it as you 1st mentioned....... as in i was never really a fan of the 1st 2 games but it certainly created a genre in its own right and had a cult following (though i did complete them way back in the day). I realise you could argue that Doom is really just the evolution of wolfenstein 3D, but I think Doom was the one which pushed the genre into the big time...... the 3rd one is much more my kind of game however (its probably closer in atmosphere to dead space than to Doom imo).... The new one coming soon looks like Doom 2016 but even more so, so i reckon i will just skip that one entirely.

As far as Doom 3 is concerned, maybe its not the most Doom like title but still one of the most atmospheric mixes of FPS and Horror I`v played. The ambient noises, the level design, the audio logs - everything is spot on and creates one of the kind spooky feeling. I`m pretty sure Iv played it more than 4 times by now and still have it on my disk ready to launch.

Still aiming for 1st quarter 2020 as far as I know, sadly I have no idea how it's actually going or if there's any possible stopper along the road. Not that I could talk about it even if I knew! (But I don't, honest, I'm just a volunteer translator). What I know for sure is that they're working full steam on it, so hang on and brace for release. :)
(All the while I'm bit lagging behind with my little slice of work. Less Forza and Elite, more WordReference! 😅)
Cheers, mate, waiting for it to start a playthrough, here, too.

As far as Doom 3 is concerned, maybe its not the most Doom like title but still one of the most atmospheric mixes of FPS and Horror I`v played. The ambient noises, the level design, the audio logs - everything is spot on and creates one of the kind spooky feeling. I`m pretty sure Iv played it more than 4 times by now and still have it on my disk ready to launch.
there is a fantastic fan made VR mod for it as well. I have done the 1st level in VR and keep meaning to go back to it.... you need to have the BFG version.

oh and i am segueing here now but the same guy made a vr mod for NOLF2 as well (and that game is free to download )

Top Bottom