What other games are we all playing?

Sid Meier's 'Civilization: Beyond Earth' for me. I've been a fan of the series pretty much from day 1, and the current version continues the saga. It was a bit underwhelming (and *much* too easy) on release, but has been progressively updated and tweaked and is now much more of a challenge. Although I still have a wish list, it's more like it should have been from day 1.

I've actually been wondering why I can't seem to summon the willpower to dive into Elite more than I have. I've concluded that there are several factors at work, but one of them seems to be the impression that having played Civ for so many years more or less without a break, Elite feels a bit like an interloper. Weird I know but I can't think what else might explain it. Perhaps I just need to get out more! :p

After deciding to take a break from ED for awhile, I started with every FPS western I could google (sadly, I couldn't get Lucasarts Outlaws to run on Windows 8). Currently I'm reaching the end of the first Stalker game. Actually enjoying it a lot. Once I finish the next two games in that series, I think I'll start working on the Farcry titles. Any good open-world FPS games to tide me over until ED releases the EVA expansion, or until No Man's Sky gets releases on the PC.

I'm a little late (really late) to the thread haha.

I'm playing Elite: Dangerous (obviously), but I', also switching between Guild Wars 2 and Anno 2070 currently.
I don't like to admit it, but I've also been playing a little Runescape lately ;)

The very worst thing about being a YouTuber is I don't get time to enjoy the games I really want to play, even the ones I get for free and the beta access.

I know, your hearts are bleeding right? :D

But seriously, I was hoping to get a key from Paradox for Pillars of Eternity and maybe play a bit of that. My long term goal was always Everquest Next. I really miss not having an MMO to play but I won't go back to WoW.

I'm playing ED. Must be clicking around the 200 hour mark (probably more but I dunno), and I've been playing since alpha. Used to play Planetside and Planetside 2 a lot, but now it's exclusively ED. Can't say I'm bored yet, but I do long for more stuff. Can't wait for 1.3

I've tried to play some other games...Wasteland 2, Civilization: Beyond Earth, Divinity: Original Sin are all good games I've tried to play, but in the end I always ask myself why I'm doing it when I could be playing ED instead. :D

GTAV on PC might drag me away for a while though...we'll see...don't have a console and have never played it...I'm guessing Powerplay will drag me right back in again though... ;)

Last edited:
Far Cry 4 on PC. The Last of Us on PS4 (bought a PS4 just to play it and will be selling the console when finished!)

Far Cry 4 on PC. The Last of Us on PS4 (bought a PS4 just to play it and will be selling the console when finished!)

Far Cry 4...thanks for reminding me...should get that a go too. Would love to play The Last of Us, but I'm NOT buying a console for only one game! No matter how good it is...well...if ED had been an exclusive I might have made a an exception. :D;)

I've been playing Elite since the 80's on and off, between other games obviously, but this release is so spectacular, so engaging and exciting that I am not only still playing and enjoying it, but aim to play it for at least another 30+ years.

Far Cry 4...thanks for reminding me...should get that a go too. Would love to play The Last of Us, but I'm NOT buying a console for only one game! No matter how good it is...well...if ED had been an exclusive I might have made a an exception. :D;)

To be honest I'm not as enamoured of The Last of Us as I thought I would be, given the hype and rave reviews. It's an interactive movie kind of game with really obvious routes to take, etc, and I prefer the Far Cry style of open world thing. It's amazingly well presented and "acted", just prefer to at least have the illusion of more choice and control. And playing a shooter with a console controller is a nightmare! Give me a mouse and keyboard any day. Still, glad I got it, just for the experience.

For a single player distraction I play Alien Isolation at the moment. I LOVE that game.

My other old favourite is Mass Effect 3 MP. I have over a thousand hours logged on that puppy and I'm still going strong.

Far Cry seems pretty impressive, but I still haven't played the latest one that everyone is going nuts over. From what I understand, its like GTA V meets Just Cause, which isn't a bad thing. I'll be sure to get it at some point.

On Xbox One GTA V is remarkable, Battlefield 4 is finally working okay (and when it works it's amazing), and Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires is pretty cool (even though the multiplayer experience is lacking). The XBox One and Live are terrible, but the One has some pretty great games. Ryse was the first game I played on the One, and despite its low review scores it was one of the most spectacular games I've ever seen (but it has very short story, sadly).

On PC, I play Civ 5 mostly, Civ Beyond Earth is awesome though you couldn't tell from my play time in steam, and I even dabble with Tropico 5 now and then (since SimCity 2013 didn't and doesn't work). Thought about getting Cities Skylines but it makes me nervous, looking exactly like SimCity in every video I've seen. I know they're made on two different engines, but they really look very much alike.

I'll play some games I grew up with now and then, Starflight on Genesis, just about anything by Koei on SNES or Genesis, B-17 Bomber and Advanced D&D on Intellivision, Asteroids, Pac-Man, and Donkey Kong on Atari, Zelda I and II on NES....

And I often come back to Doom 3 on the 360.

Most of my gaming time goes to Elite Dangerous and Civilization 5 atm. Also, SimCity on SNES makes for a good sleeping aid- it will put you to sleep in 10-15 minutes. One of my favs, but it won't get your blood pumping :D

I reduced my hours a bit but am not playing anything else. Now the weather improved I'm doing more gardening and fixing up the house and my car.
I will probably get Witcher 3 when it's released. I loved the first one, 2nd was a bit disappointing but will give 3 a chance.

I liked Far Cry 3 but this one isn't doing it for me. It's more open with less story and much more repetitive than Elite. After taking out a few camps and radio towers I'm pretty bored. The last game had a pretty good story to keep you going. Something this game hasn't kept up very well.

Last edited:
X3 Albion Prelude is what I'm playing until the Mac version is out of beta and I can buy it.

Also enjoy Civilization V.

Last edited:
Elite Dangerous - still dipping in and out
Making History The Great War - really fun WW1 strategy game
Minecraft - not much need saying
Skyrim - still not played it much but go into it occasionally
XCOM - the new one isn't half bad

Nothing else really, havent bought many other games recently, keeping tabs on Subnautica and Fractured Space.

Top Bottom