What other games are we all playing?

Once consoles can hook up mouse/keyboard, razer gamepad, hotas /pedals and a console game pad all at the same time and work flawlessly. I'll consider a console machine. Let alone going vr.
Unless they already can and I'm missing the boat. :)

Yup Mouse and KB is the only way to play FPSs as far as I'm concerned...3ps I can cope with a gamepad just about. GTAVs fps mode completely changed the way I played the game....no more gamepad spray and pray....precise headshots with a sniper rifle galore woth kb+m, even from that massive bridge taking out bus drivers...<evil grin>...hmm tempted to fire up GTAV on PC again.

Saw GTA VC on steam for £5.99 decided to have a bit of an nostalgia blast.

Spent the next few hours happily wallowing in nostalgic fun as what a great game it was and still is.

VC + San Andreas had the best Rock/Metal/guitar based music. Even though I never played VC the fact it had Anthrax, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and Slayer was awesome. The Gen X stuff on SA was top notch.

GTA4 and 5's rock/metal is complete and utter garbage, thank god I can play my own music on the PC version of GTA5....Who the HELL thought Kenny Loggins was a good DJ for rock? gawd!

[
If I already had a PS4 then I wouldn't have bought the XB1X either, I've been an Xbox player though since I stopped playing games on PC.
I just couldn't be bothered anymore with having to upgrade my hardware every other year or the fidgeting around with drivers.
Right now I'm pretty satisfied with choosing the Xbox path, the One X is a fine machine, PC might give an even better quality or framerate but the One X in 4k with hdr support is good enough for me.
I'm quoting Dutch but replying to everyone who wrote on this topic - I'm mostly happy with consoles for gaming. The number one thing that I personally miss from PC gaming is graphic settings, something that Sony and Microsoft must actively prevent on consoles. I'd happily trade things like fog and even bloom for better shadows, for example.

The main reason I'd consider a PC at this point is to use it for things other than gaming. I used to do 3D design and photorealistic rendering, something I'd like to play around with again more as a hobby, and my old laptop really isn't great for this. Of course if I had such a PC, I'd get some games for it as well, like ED. I'd still use my PS4 for more casual gaming.

I'm intrigued by the idea that the XB1X can run Linux, though I suspect it requires some sort of serious hacking to achieve. If I could just plug in an external drive and switch between Linux and XB1X at boot, well that would just be the cat's meow! I'll have to do a little research, but I'm sure it's not that easy.

Digital Foundry got my hopes up with a quick "review" of a Chinese PC console that had the best of both worlds, but this product is apparently vaporware?

And then there is the new PS5 teasing me from the future.... 🤪

Yup Mouse and KB is the only way to play FPSs as far as I'm concerned...3ps I can cope with a gamepad just about. GTAVs fps mode completely changed the way I played the game....no more gamepad spray and pray....precise headshots with a sniper rifle galore woth kb+m, even from that massive bridge taking out bus drivers...
I totally get where you are coming from, as I had a terrible time adapting to a controller in my early days of console gaming (those good ol' days of split screen with three other friends sitting around the TV). Over time I've gotten really good with the controller, and these days I prefer it. K&M is still better for precision, but I actually find it TOO good, in that it takes some of the realism out of the game. I shoot IRL, and shooting a real gun is way less precise than aiming with a mouse. I find that the controller better approximates RL gunning (which includes "run and gun" scenarios like one experiences playing paintball). Mind you that I have years of experience with the controller, and I use things like stick extenders for extra precision.

The other reason I prefer console for FPS is we're all on an equal playing field. No aimbots, no macros, no custom acceleration curves - we all have the same tools, so it really boils down to skill. The one exception is latency, which often costs me in a 1v1 sniping duel. I'm hoping to remedy this problem soon :D

I totally get where you are coming from, as I had a terrible time adapting to a controller in my early days of console gaming (those good ol' days of split screen with three other friends sitting around the TV). Over time I've gotten really good with the controller, and these days I prefer it. K&M is still better for precision, but I actually find it TOO good, in that it takes some of the realism out of the game. I shoot IRL, and shooting a real gun is way less precise than aiming with a mouse. I find that the controller better approximates RL gunning (which includes "run and gun" scenarios like one experiences playing paintball). Mind you that I have years of experience with the controller, and I use things like stick extenders for extra precision.

The other reason I prefer console for FPS is we're all on an equal playing field. No aimbots, no macros, no custom acceleration curves - we all have the same tools, so it really boils down to skill. The one exception is latency, which often costs me in a 1v1 sniping duel. I'm hoping to remedy this problem soon :D
I'm somewhere in the middle with the controller vs. KB+M.
Well, that's not entirely true as I am a PC gamer first so KB+M is what I use most of the time and though I do have PS3 I'm hardly a console player.
Mouse is the best option for shooters and generally the "headlook" controlling method. But controller is definitely better for character movement. So I love things like platformers and generally the adventuring style of games on console. But shooting, I've never gotten even remotely used to with the controller. I originally bought the PS3 just for The Last of Us and although it is not a shooter, really, you shoot a lot, there and it was a pain from start to finish. A wonderful game, one of the best I've ever played, but pain, nonetheless. Even with a heavy auto-aim help.
The bottom line is, I guess, different control methods are good for different things.

I'm somewhere in the middle with the controller vs. KB+M.
Well, that's not entirely true as I am a PC gamer first so KB+M is what I use most of the time and though I do have PS3 I'm hardly a console player.
Mouse is the best option for shooters and generally the "headlook" controlling method.
No doubt mouse is better, but it's by no means realistic. Nobody can move their head as fast as one can with a mouse. The controller implements inertia that adds some realism to our characters. That said, the controller requires something the mouse doesn't - not just fine motor skills but also fine timing skills. To move our head / gunsights with a controller, you have to push it in a certain direction for a specific amount of time and stop. A mouse just needs to be moved to a predefined location IRL to correspond to a point on the screen, which admittedly is more realistic to how moving our actual heads / hands work. Though after years with the controller, this timing becomes second nature.
I've never gotten even remotely used to with the controller. I originally bought the PS3 just for The Last of Us and although it is not a shooter, really, you shoot a lot, there and it was a pain from start to finish. A wonderful game, one of the best I've ever played, but pain, nonetheless. Even with a heavy auto-aim help.
The bottom line is, I guess, different control methods are good for different things.
It took me a long time to "git gud" with a controller, and even then there are limits. I definitely don't have the fine control aiming rails in FA-off using a controller that I would with a mouse, for example. I don't know if a HOTAS would be better or worse. Then again, I have no interest in flying a spaceship with a mouse, LOL. And as I previously mentioned, when playing PvP on console, everyone is working with the same physical limitations, so while it may be harder for me to snipe, it's also harder for someone else to snipe me. There's nothing quite as frustrating as being insta-sniped on PC because someone is using a gaming mouse with programmed curves and perhaps even cough, cough an aimbot, cough.

But I know where you're coming from, because I fought against console myself in the early days, using many of the same arguments you and others are making. The majority of my friends were on console, however, and PCs have their own negatives, so I made the switch and all these years later very much enjoy my overall gaming experience.

VC + San Andreas had the best Rock/Metal/guitar based music. Even though I never played VC the fact it had Anthrax, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and Slayer was awesome. The Gen X stuff on SA was top notch.

GTA4 and 5's rock/metal is complete and utter garbage, thank god I can play my own music on the PC version of GTA5....Who the HELL thought Kenny Loggins was a good DJ for rock? gawd!

Saints Row 2 I remember having a good metal station. Slaughter - Spend my Life and Opeth-Ghost of Perdition being notable tracks. Someome had Peace Sells by Megadeth I think but I cant remember which game.

I just noticed your names Leper Messiah, my grandmother passed the other day and I fired up Sanitarium followed by the rest of Puppets, what a trip back, amazing album.

Last edited:
Find me a PC that could play all console exclusives then I'll get that. 😁😜

I totally get that!! I'm a racing game nut so Forza and Gran Turismo made me get their respective machines, but not anymore though....PC racing sims may not quite have the graphics (although Assetto Corsa and Project Cars look fantastic), but the physics and options are vastly superior. Stuff like Automobilista, Raceroom and Rfactor 2 along with AC and PC1+2 blow the console exlusive racers out of the water. That means this is the first Gen I havn't had a console nd to be honest not really missed it all that much (until RDR2!!).

All good points, ultimately only a "holodeck" would do FPS's justice!

I'm just utter pants with FPSs and a pad...for some reason I cannot transfer 3Ps control....I have no idea why, I just end up looking at the ground or the sky.....across the horizontal I'm ok, but any sort of vertical movement and it's either straight up or down!! ;)

Saints Row 2 I remember having a good metal station. Slaughter - Spend my Life and Opeth-Ghost of Perdition being notable tracks. Someome had Peace Sells by Megadeth I think but I cant remember which game.

I just noticed your names Leper Messiah, my grandmother passed the other day and I fired up Sanitarium followed by the rest of Puppets, what a trip back, amazing album.

Sorry to hear that about your Nan. :(

It is indeed a brilliant album, arguably the greatest Metal album ever. \m/

You cant really compare them. Apart from the plot, RDR2 is a whole other experience. Playing RDR1 today makes me realise how far the industry has evolved. RDR2 is just light years ahead of its predecessor.

One of the things that stands out when playing RDR on my 360 is the horrendous aliasing. I can imagine 4k on the X looks a lot smoother.
No doubt mouse is better, but it's by no means realistic. Nobody can move their head as fast as one can with a mouse. The controller implements inertia that adds some realism to our characters. That said, the controller requires something the mouse doesn't - not just fine motor skills but also fine timing skills. To move our head / gunsights with a controller, you have to push it in a certain direction for a specific amount of time and stop. A mouse just needs to be moved to a predefined location IRL to correspond to a point on the screen, which admittedly is more realistic to how moving our actual heads / hands work. Though after years with the controller, this timing becomes second nature.

It took me a long time to "git gud" with a controller, and even then there are limits. I definitely don't have the fine control aiming rails in FA-off using a controller that I would with a mouse, for example. I don't know if a HOTAS would be better or worse. Then again, I have no interest in flying a spaceship with a mouse, LOL. And as I previously mentioned, when playing PvP on console, everyone is working with the same physical limitations, so while it may be harder for me to snipe, it's also harder for someone else to snipe me. There's nothing quite as frustrating as being insta-sniped on PC because someone is using a gaming mouse with programmed curves and perhaps even cough, cough an aimbot, cough.

But I know where you're coming from, because I fought against console myself in the early days, using many of the same arguments you and others are making. The majority of my friends were on console, however, and PCs have their own negatives, so I made the switch and all these years later very much enjoy my overall gaming experience.
I got one of these for FPS games on PC...analogue thumbstick for character movement plus 20 odd macro buttons at your fingertips...mouse for headlook...combined with the Tobii 4C eyetracker for games like ARMA 3 and others that support freelook.

8eN9wb8.jpg

Last edited:
I got one of these for FPS games on PC...analogue thumbstick for character movement plus 20 odd macro buttons at your fingertips...mouse for headlook...combined with the Tobii 4C eyetracker for games like ARMA 3 and others that support freelook.

8eN9wb8.jpg

Been looking for an external USB controller to use with Elite's FSS and mode changing and stuff. How much does one of those cost?

What other games?

If only post were genuine. Is this a millennial/post millennial thing.

There is actually a metric to measure forum trollish post.

Deleted member 110222

D
Well, it's been nearly five months.

Still playing ESO every day.

Yep'. I've got a new favourite alright!

Did my first veteran hard-mode dungeon yesterday night. It went... Better than expected. Only died a couple times. Great PuG too. I was DD with my brother-in-law, and the PuG healer and tank were great! Being polite in chat gets you a long way in MMOs.

Also got promoted in the guild. Nice to feel appreciated. Great lads and lasses there.

Top Bottom