What other games are we all playing?

I'm back in Red Dead Online currently. Their recent September update has completely revitalised it for me.

I fear ED's September update is unlikely to have the same effect.

I've been playing this "game" called Vortex, the program for NexusMods. Holy freaking cow that's addictive! Unfortunately a lot of the mods require SSE, and I only have vanilla Skyrim on PC. I'm waiting for SSE to go on sale, despite already having bought it for PS4 awhile back.

ps - I'm not doing this because I'm bored with ED, but rather I just wanted to see what Skyrim could look like on this PC. Nobody warned me that it would be such an addictive drug!

And before you realise it, you've bought a sub to Nexus Mods so you can access the faster download servers. :p

I have 4 copies of Skyrim all-told. On PC, Oldrim, SE and VR, and the PS4 version. The PC version is far superior simply because of the modding, which can bring the game to life in ways that Bethesda only dreamt about. I think my SE has about 200 mods installed... less for the other two, but I don't play them as much.

Welcome to the wonderful world of mod consumption. :)

I've been playing this "game" called Vortex, the program for NexusMods. Holy freaking cow that's addictive! Unfortunately a lot of the mods require SSE, and I only have vanilla Skyrim on PC. I'm waiting for SSE to go on sale, despite already having bought it for PS4 awhile back.

ps - I'm not doing this because I'm bored with ED, but rather I just wanted to see what Skyrim could look like on this PC. Nobody warned me that it would be such an addictive drug!

Do yourself a favor and get SSE asap...

Skyrim is by far the fgame I played the most time, several thousands of hours. It took me quite a while to upgrade to SSE myself, but then I deeply regretted not doing it sooner. You can run a crapton more mods, especially memory intensive mods like texture packs etc at much, much higher stability. Also, SSE has, amongs lots more things, a lot more beautiful weather mods that drastically transform the atmosphere of the game for the better.

ps: I agree, Vortex is awesome. So much better than it's predecessor...

And before you realise it, you've bought a sub to Nexus Mods so you can access the faster download servers. :p

Yeah I did that too, purchased the "lifetime something something" so it was a one-off paymehnt, but it does accelerate the downloads quite a lot. Still, it takes me a whole day to install Skyrim and my favorite mods from scratch. But I love it as much (somtimes I think even more) as actually playing the game. I love trying different combinations of lighting enhancers, weather systems, texture packs, water replacers, etc etc etc etc...

This talk is giving me the itch to go back to it... Such a fantastic game, now with Bethesda diving head first into mediocrity and micro transactions I fear we will never see a great Elder Scrolls game again...

Last edited:
Is that legit? Also, I need $ not £.
Yes it is legit. Also with Todd almost literally saying "stop buying it morons" it's the only way to buy it ;-)))

And if you say you need $ not £, what you actually need is Revolut which will allow you to use multiple currencies. Been using it for I think two years now for my gaming and travel payments. I can explain more if needed.
PS: Revolut's free.

Last edited:
Is that legit? Also, I need $ not £.

Yes it's legit, and very good. I buy a lot of Steam games from there. Instant Gaming is another site, but cdkeys tends to be a bit cheaper.

Can you not use PayPal that would convert the currency for you automatically? Probably not the greatest exchange rate in the world, but it's only a tenner so you're talking pennies at most. 🤷‍♀️

Well I checked this out: https://isthereanydeal.com/game/eld...istory/?shop[]=steam&generate=Select+Stores#/

I'll probably just wait until the next Steam sale (rumor is they have a big sale in October). I don't like spreading my credit card all over the Internet, and considering just how addictive modding is, it might actually interfere with real work I need to do around the house and yard before winter gets here! In the meantime I'll enjoy some of these lovely videos on YouTube.

Now if someone would like to gift me the game on Steam, I won't complain! ;)

Can you not use PayPal that would convert the currency for you automatically? Probably not the greatest exchange rate in the world, but it's only a tenner so you're talking pennies at most. 🤷‍♀️
This was me, also I tried using my debit card directly, and then found out that my bank charges 3% exchange fee on top of ridiculous exchange rate, and that was still BETTER than Paypal's. When you buy a lot of games in foreign currencies, that fees pile up quickly. Luckily banks feel the threats from fintech startups like aforementioned revolut, and they slowly change. When they are as good as revolut, I might consider switching back.

Cdkeys is your typical neither-black-nor-white case, which is fitting for a grey market key reseller. They're certainly on the safe side: they sell proper keys that they have acquired themselves legitimately, and are therefore reliable. No stolen keys, no dodgy keys purchased with stolen credit cards, and plenty of people vouching for great customer service. It seems very unlikely you'll run into any issue with them.

As for "legit", well, it depends on how you define it. They are not an approved digital distributor to whom the keys are voluntarily sold for distribution. They purchase key-based retail versions of the games from regions where they are sold cheaper (Russia for example), and make a business of reselling these keys online to other markets. It's likely legal (not a lawyer though so don't quote me on that), but a potential slippery slope as it adds an extra pitfall to regional pricing: selling your game cheaper in countries where income is significantly lower means you might end up losing a fair bit on sales in more prosperous countries that will avail of those keys through the grey market.

It's up to you to decide what you're comfortable with. At the end of the day, if we really did care a lot for "devs" (caring for QA, marketing, publishing is just so less sexy), we'd buy their games full-price. So it's not like buying stuff on sale on a possibly more ethical store is a massive moral high ground either. Just read up on digital keys, the grey market, their costs and benefits to seller/consumer/intermediary, and find out where your favourite shade of grey lies.

It's up to you to decide what you're comfortable with. At the end of the day, if we really did care a lot for "devs" (caring for QA, marketing, publishing is just so less sexy), we'd buy their games full-price. So it's not like buying stuff on sale on a possibly more ethical store is a massive moral high ground either. Just read up on digital keys, the grey market, their costs and benefits to seller/consumer/intermediary, and find out where your favourite shade of grey lies.

Well summarised.

I don't use cdkeys for any new indie type game, because it's important to support the devs. I would use Humble instead if the RRP is too high on Steam, because you can choose where your money goes (including charity).

However, in the case of Skyrim SE, I've bought Skyrim many times in various forms, and it doesn't appear to be helping Bethesda make any similar kinds of games that I like in over 5 years (since they've gone online only and micro-transaction crazy), so I'm cool with the 'greyness' here to get a legit copy. I trust that they will have received something for my purchase, since it is a legit key and not a knock-off.

Everyone's mileage varies of course, but I'm happy the option is there. 🤷‍♀️

However, in the case of Skyrim SE, I've bought Skyrim many times in various forms,
This is my thinking as well. I already own Skyrim on PC, and I own Skyrim SE on PS4 (and I bought the PS3 version originally), so paying full price for what I already own is not something that I feel morally obligated to do. Same goes for Elite.

OTOH, a fully-modded Skyrim would almost be like buying a new AAA title, so $39 isn't that expensive. I'll likely wait to see if it goes on sale at Steam in the next few weeks, unless we get a patch of terrible weather and I'm bored and I break down and just buy it at the listed price. Right now my IRL world is turning into Skyrim (fall in New England), so I can wait a little bit, if the weather remains nice.

Top Bottom