What other games are we all playing?

Bought the Greedfall, yesterday and didn't sleep, tonight. It's quite good!
:)

Am I the only one who got completely turned off by the graphical presentation of this game? Not only everything is washed out to oblivion (like many games these days for reasons... unknown) but also everything is well... brown. I saw many pictures and vids and its horrible, its like vaseline was smeared all over it.
I know, I know graphics does not make a game but to be honest first time I was so turned off by the overall color palette of the game I put it off my wish list.

Am I the only one who got completely turned off by the graphical presentation of this game? Not only everything is washed out to oblivion (like many games these days for reasons... unknown) but also everything is well... brown. I saw many pictures and vids and its horrible, its like vaseline was smeared all over it.
I know, I know graphics does not make a game but to be honest first time I was so turned off by the overall color palette of the game I put it off my wish list.

You're not the only one. I mentioned there were mods on Nexus... they are nearly all Reshade profiles to change the "washed out" look.

Personally, I rather like it (it's different), but each to their own.

I don't really mind. The colour palette of the cities is similar to, for example, Dishonored and nature is colourful enough to balance it out. It's no No Man's Sky, but I wouldn't call it "vaseline". :)

For me it looks appalling but its good to hear that you can "fix" it with ReShade (the tool I`m using in almost every game now) - that begs the question...
Is it because most games are ported/shared from/the consoles that folks display on TV screens and therefore colors/contrast is much higher for them?

For me it looks appalling but its good to hear that you can "fix" it with ReShade (the tool I`m using in almost every game now) - that begs the question...
Is it because most games are ported/shared from/the consoles that folks display on TV screens and therefore colors/contrast is much higher for them?

I dunno about "most games", but with Greedfall I think it's definitely an artistic decision. It looks a lot better when you're playing than any screenshots I've seen. Don't really notice it much now, and as Chris Simon says above, the nature is very colourful and varied so it balances it out.

If every game seems off to you, what if it's you and not the games? :p
(Sorry) :LOL:

While what you wrote was a joke, sometimes properly calibrating your monitor can make a difference.

Granted, I think that way too much media have been infected by the “Real is Brown” trope, but it never hurts to check your monitor calibration.
That's true.
The kind of "realistic" look in games is trendy and although personally I dislike the pastel colours and I'm fine with "shades of grey" palette, sometimes it can be too much.
IMHO it's not the case for Greedfall, though. Its cities and clothing for example are greyish, but as the whole style has been chosen on purpose (the setting takes inspiration in pre-industrial Britain). Games like Fable are very similar in setting, but feel almost too childish with their bright colour.

Plus Greedfall is overall very mature game in its story and message and I think the overall artistic take expresses that very well.

I'm not saying Vasea doesn't have the right to dislike its style, of course. A hundred people, hundred tastes.

Last edited:
While what you wrote was a joke, sometimes properly calibrating your monitor can make a difference.

Granted, I think that way too much media have been infected by the “Real is Brown” trope, but it never hurts to check your monitor calibration.

So true, I thought my monitor settings were okay, untill my cousin came along with this spider thing you hang in front of your screen so you can make a profile with the right color callibrations.
He uses that thing at work, a graphics and design print shop.

The difference was staggering after I calibrated my screen.

Really tempted to break my Epic boycott to pick up WRC 8.
Unless it's an ES tomf*ckery exclusive title then don't.

The principle for why you shouldn't simply isn't worth any lack of self disciple.

I permanently boycotted them after Sweeny made The Outer Worlds and Metro ES exclusives for 365 days after release. Just like the Exceptional A.$.$.h@ts and its POS DRM spyware Origin, ES & it's zero feature POS launcher also needs to die. While bleeding out slowly in the most horrifically painful way.....

Unless it's an ES tomf*ckery exclusive title then don't.

The principle for why you shouldn't simply isn't worth any lack of self disciple.

I permanently boycotted them after Sweeny made The Outer Worlds and Metro ES exclusives for 365 days after release. Just like the Exceptional A.$.$.h@ts and its POS DRM spyware Origin, ES & it's zero feature POS launcher also needs to die. While bleeding out slowly in the most horrifically painful way.....
Yeah, I know. I've been holding strong so far lolol.

When it came out, I didn't bother with Neverwinter Nights. Bad solo campaign, focused on multiplayer and user-made stuff before I had a proper home Internet connection (dialup, ugh...), and ugly blocky graphics when coming from the Infinity Engine titles. It all screamed 'meh'.

Picked up the EE on the cheap a while ago after looking into it and seeing the availability of both premium modules of better quality than the original campaign as well as a lot of player-made modules to pick from on the Vault. And damn... I feel like I fell down the rabbit hole... Now, the graphics still have the engine's blocky style, and the awful UI takes some getting used to, but wow, I'm absolutely amazed by the quantity and quality of player-made modules, from small short adventures to full blown 50-100h campaigns, some completely open ones, some with pre-made characters, some focused on a given race/class...

I'm at the point where after completing another module, I toy with the idea of playing another game for a bit, yet inevitably end up downloading another NWN module. Waiting that long paid off big time: the game cost me €4, and I'm drowning in mods. :D

TW WH2 Hunter and Beast. Is OK - but only half. Can't get into Nakai campaign (Is Horde and you give all territory to AI vassal that doesn't build shat). Never played TW WH1 so Empire was kinda interesting to try. Highlight: Kalara huntress story arc. In fact the little story arcs add to the game - for me at least. I loved playing Queen Khalida campaign.

Crone and Queen - Iz like: Sexy half-naked elf murder ladies - that's what I exactly need. And handmaidens. Yes. Started with the murder elves first tho.

Top Bottom