What other games are we all playing?

Depends. If you like looter shooters (where the main gameplay loop is collecting and upgrading gear with a modicum of story? Yes. That said free version has IMHO excellent singleplayer campaign The Red War. And it's worth playing through that alone. Lore is also fleshed out on the form of different collectibles etc.

The "shooting" part of said shooter is really good. Different classes of weapons, different damage types and a perk system makes for very satisfying gameplay.

The graphics part? Destiny in 4k HDR is one of the most beautiful games I played. I love the art style, IMHO it is done by a very talented and creative graphics team. Clearly worth downloading for the sights alone. And if you like the gameplay part (and there's lots to do), you might be hooked.

As for what is there to do in the free version, the answer is quite a lot. So give it a try, I know the download might be a lot to stomach, but I think it's worth it.

That's the spirit! Do you play DCS in VR by any chance? That should be the closest thing to your former passion, minus the need to AGSM 😁 It can also be flown solo using community missions but I think you know that by now 😁
I'm afraid I don't play any DCS at all. I'm too busy lawnmowing over target areas in World Of Warplanes. Inverted. :)

I'm currently playing through jedi fallen order.
its not bad but there's quite a lot of backtracking and going over things you've already done.
still I'm enjoying it

Im also midway through my 4th playthrough of subnautica.
(im using my Xbox controller for jedi btw)

Last edited:
Just before the weekend I downloaded Age of Wonders Planetfall through gamepass on Xbox and have been playing that for a couple days now.
Higly recommended when you like a good turn based 4X game.
I see myself putting quite some hours in this.

An Xbox controller is nowadays a mandatory and welcomed gaming accessory.

Not for me it isn't. Any game that demands a controller won't be on my to-buy list.

I'm in the minority, sure, but games like that are unplayable. I don't have the spare gaming time to build muscle-memory for a new input device.

As I said, I'm well aware that I am the outlier here! ;)

• Like (+1)
Reactions: EUS
Since I'm now able to afford a gaming laptop, I'm taking a serious look at X4 Foundations.
They have fixed the game up a bit since it launched.
Your thoughts on this game are welcome.

Since I'm now able to afford a gaming laptop, I'm taking a serious look at X4 Foundations.

It's not bad but visually i think that the earlier X series was better as the visible modular design of the ships are less appealing and the 1st person view where we can exit our ships and visit areas feels amateurish.

I mean, the visual quality of ground areas and aliens feels like something done 10 years ago if that.

But, it's Egosoft so it needs a year from release to mature basically.

It's not bad, but it could be better.

Not for me it isn't. Any game that demands a controller won't be on my to-buy list.
I'm in the minority, sure, but games like that are unplayable. I don't have the spare gaming time to build muscle-memory for a new input device.

That's a little bit... extreme to be honest. I'd suggest just borrowing one and trying, you might find it surprisingly convenient, like the rest of the planet ;-). Of course, as a periphery and tool, you should be using it for the right games. For example I would never use a gamepad in a FPS. But for witcher 3 couch gaming? Hell yea. Mortal Kombat? Hell yea. Elite on a potato laptop on the go? Hell yea, done that ;-) In DCS? Hell no :D Doom? Hell... maybe? :D Overwatch? Hell no. You get my drift :)

What I mean is it doesn't hurt to try. Gamepad is more accessible to everyone, that's why it's been the no.1 on consoles for years :).

There is a whole thread dedicated to X4 on this forum, I'd suggest reading the last few pages or asking there, people seemed quite happy with the game despite typical release bugs [nothing as major as Rebirth clusterpoo release]:

Last edited:
That's a little bit... extreme to be honest. I'd suggest just borrowing one and trying, you might find it surprisingly convenient, like the rest of the planet ;-). Of course, as a periphery and tool, you should be using it for the right games. For example I would never use a gamepad in a FPS. But for witcher 3 couch gaming? Hell yea. Mortal Kombat? Hell yea. Elite on a potato laptop on the go? Hell yea, done that ;-) In DCS? Hell no :D Doom? Hell... maybe? :D Overwatch? Hell no. You get my drift :)

What I mean is it doesn't hurt to try. Gamepad is more accessible to everyone, that's why it's been the no.1 on consoles for years :).
Huh? Why extreme? I quite think that games designed for gamepads just aren't what I like to play. And the little overlap there might be doesn't really convince to use it.

I wrote "extreme" because of "no buy because it favours a controller" statement. Witcher 3 is excellent with a controller, Tomb Raider games are excellent with a controller, 2d indie games are excellent with a controller etc. etc. So, unless your (and Hairychris') focus is for example "sim only" or "e.d. only", you're cutting yourselves out of a large portion of games which can be played like that. IMHO all third person perspective games excel with controllers, as do all platformers. FPS is in the undisputable kb+m land, and simulators benefit by using pricey third party peripherials (not so much as niche as VR ;-), but niche nonetheless). So I don't exactly get the "controller hate", or, better put - "no controller excuses" because there is a lot of games which outright benefit from a controller control scheme. Everspace comes to mind, and in VR too. So in the end, a controller is like a tool - you use it for the right games.

I don't really get your drift as I already own an Xbox controller and I really suck at using it. So I don't. ;) Bought that because I was running across games ported from console that played badly. Soon decided that extensive kb remapping and putting up with janky controls was less painful.

As I have never owned a console - so don't game on the TV* - and have played 35+ years with keyboard/mouse/stick I, as I mentioned, don't have the gaming time/inclination to learn new input methods. I'd rather play a game that has good mouse/kb support or do something else with my life (I have piles of musical instruments that won't play themselves, etc).

I'm aware that I'm an outlier, never been interested in console gaming (as already PC game) and only in the last year picked up a TV larger than 22 inches. :)

* Well, I do couch game I suppose but it's with a gaming laptop & mouse. I don't own a static PC!

EDIT:

I wrote "extreme" because of "no buy because it favours a controller" statement.

As I kicked that off, I actually said no buy if demands a controller (so either controller absolutely needed to play game or kb/mouse controls so poorly implemented that they are useless). Funnily enough it was the Tomb Raider reboot that made me get hold of a controller. That played terribly with kb/mouse!

EDIT: And back to the Jedi game, kb/mouse isn't great but it's OK and a lot more usable then some of those ports from a few years back were.

Last edited:
Speaking of controller vs. K&M, sometimes the poor implementation goes in the other direction. I wanted to play Space Engineers with a controller, but they treat the analog stick as if it's digital, meaning that I'm either sprinting or standing still. This is where controller usually shines over keyboard, as it gives you analog velocity. SE's controller implementation is so bad that they actually tie up a button to toggle between walk and run! That's what the ANALOG stick is for, dummies!!! 🤦

I bought it about 2 weeks ago. I've enjoyed what I've played so far.
granted I've only really gone through the tutorials at this point but so far it's been a fun (relatively bug free) experience

I've not set up my hotas for it yet and have been playing with M+KB which works quite well

Speaking of controller vs. K&M, sometimes the poor implementation goes in the other direction. I wanted to play Space Engineers with a controller, but they treat the analog stick as if it's digital, meaning that I'm either sprinting or standing still. This is where controller usually shines over keyboard, as it gives you analog velocity. SE's controller implementation is so bad that they actually tie up a button to toggle between walk and run! That's what the ANALOG stick is for, dummies!!! 🤦

Oh yes, it definitely goes the other way too! And I can see that niche PC games like Space Engineers may not have a developer who can put the resources in to alternative control methods. Must be annoying.

I was complaining because when the modern way of developing for multiple platforms came in it was noticeable that PC users were left out as the big market was with consoles - I'm thinking of those old TotalBiscuit port reports where standard PC options were left out. Now we've moved on a few years the PC ports generally have better functionality but we still get the occasional stinker!

I wrote "extreme" because of "no buy because it favours a controller" statement. Witcher 3 is excellent with a controller, Tomb Raider games are excellent with a controller, 2d indie games are excellent with a controller etc. etc. So, unless your (and Hairychris') focus is for example "sim only" or "e.d. only", you're cutting yourselves out of a large portion of games which can be played like that. IMHO all third person perspective games excel with controllers, as do all platformers. FPS is in the undisputable kb+m land, and simulators benefit by using pricey third party peripherials (not so much as niche as VR ;-), but niche nonetheless). So I don't exactly get the "controller hate", or, better put - "no controller excuses" because there is a lot of games which outright benefit from a controller control scheme. Everspace comes to mind, and in VR too. So in the end, a controller is like a tool - you use it for the right games.
Controller "hate" is mostly down to publishing games for PC that have crappy controls with KB/M. At least for me.

granted I've only really gone through the tutorials at this point but so far it's been a fun (relatively bug free) experience

I've not set up my hotas for it yet and have been playing with M+KB which works quite well
If I may ask. Where did you buy it from?
Is it only available from Steam? I cant find it anywhere else. Would like to get it on disk instead of download.
Thanks

Tutorials were a very sore point of the game so far and are totally being reworked for the upcoming 3.0 (reports so far are pretty good), it's currently in public beta phase so you can already try it if that's your thing, or wait "a bit" (probably at least another month or two, hardly less, maybe more) for the full release.

Is it only available from Steam? I cant find it anywhere else. Would like to get it on disk instead of download.
Thanks
It's available from Steam, GoG or directly from the developer on the Egosoft site, but you'll get a Steam key even that way, sadly the game had no physical release.

Tutorials were a very sore point of the game so far and are totally being reworked for the upcoming 3.0 (reports so far are pretty good), it's currently in public beta phase so you can already try it if that's your thing, or wait "a bit" (probably at least another month or two, hardly less, maybe more) for the full release.

It's available from Steam, GoG or directly from the developer on the Egosoft site, but you'll get a Steam key even that way, sadly the game had no physical release.
Thank you.
I'll get it from Steam then.

I'll maybe wait and go through the tutorials again, I quite enjoyed what I've played so far so if they are improving on the tutorials that can only be a good thing.

Thanks
I got it from Steam (I just like to keep most of my stuff under 1 launcher if possible)

Top Bottom