What other games are we all playing?

I finally picked up The Plague Tale: Innocence. It was in my wishlist since the launch and now that I finished Jedi Fallen Order I had a free slot in my schedule.
It's bloody gruesome, that thing. Wow. I'm hooked.

Also it has probably the first child character in the history of gaming that isn't annoying as all hell. Well done there as well!

Ah, Plague Tale. I bought that when I couldn't afford it, enjoyed it immensely for about 4 hours, then got distracted by another shiny thing and never went back to it.

Must do so soon...

You are correct. They are planning on another Mass Effect. I'm enjoying this game even more the second time as I'm paying more attention to the trivial items matched to the first trilogy. Here's the link.

Personally as a huge fan of original ME trilogy and that including ME3 I would prefer if they just let it go. And not only because I absolutely did not enjoy Andromeda (don't care about bugs as those potentially can be fixed) as the game was just a massive letdown.
You cant in my opinion compete with what original game has done as far as building massive following and passion in community. Also my trust in BW under the EA boot completely vanished at this point.

Personally as a huge fan of original ME trilogy and that including ME3 I would prefer if they just let it go. And not only because I absolutely did not enjoy Andromeda (don't care about bugs as those potentially can be fixed) as the game was just a massive letdown.
You cant in my opinion compete with what original game has done as far as building massive following and passion in community. Also my trust in BW under the EA boot completely vanished at this point.
Same. The trilogy is done and the story is told. I feel any further post-Reaper attempt is like squeezing out a teabag that has been used already twice. MEA was OK in their linear story missions but the Open World attempt wasn't so good. Which isn't surprising since it copied DAI's formula when Walters stepped in to salvage the project. They took what had kinda worked before with a Mass Effect coat. Like in DAI the "Open World" just doesn't fly. I did like Elaaden, the desert planet quite a lot tho. Imo, the best in the game. In DAI was a good map too, most of it was some mediocre desert with spots of highlights but it had a nice mountain range. But the worst thing in these two games is the "platformer" maps and bloody unclimbable dunes - they just scream railroad! at you. Dear Lord I hated Eos and that terrible map in DAI with the bloody shard temple, Emprise ticked me off too, but at least the part after the bridge was nice.
They also have a way to push out broken stuff and somehow fix it half a year later when most players have already moved on. Particularly bad for their MP endeavours.

I've been goofing around in Skyrim VR, and I've decided that this time I'll play as Hawkeye / Ronin Bosmer. While bows feel OP in 2D Skyrim, I find them very immersive, fun, and challenging in VR. I've got real sneak (where you duck down IRL to sneak) turned on, and last night I got into a "shootout" with an NPC where I was literally ducking in and out of cover to dodge his arrows while launching my own. It was amazing fun!

With a focus on enchanting and alchemy, I can make various bows and arrows to mimic all of Hawkeye's specialty arrows.

Same. The trilogy is done and the story is told. I feel any further post-Reaper attempt is like squeezing out a teabag that has been used already twice. MEA was OK in their linear story missions but the Open World attempt wasn't so good. Which isn't surprising since it copied DAI's formula when Walters stepped in to salvage the project. They took what had kinda worked before with a Mass Effect coat. Like in DAI the "Open World" just doesn't fly. I did like Elaaden, the desert planet quite a lot tho. Imo, the best in the game. In DAI was a good map too, most of it was some mediocre desert with spots of highlights but it had a nice mountain range. But the worst thing in these two games is the "platformer" maps and bloody unclimbable dunes - they just scream railroad! at you. Dear Lord I hated Eos and that terrible map in DAI with the bloody shard temple, Emprise ticked me off too, but at least the part after the bridge was nice.
They also have a way to push out broken stuff and somehow fix it half a year later when most players have already moved on. Particularly bad for their MP endeavours.

Hi. Devil's advocate here.
Putting the fact that MEA was quite enjoyable for me (I always try to see the best in games and overlook the flaws - it's a conscious choice that makes for a happier gaming), I'd never say "Don't even try"
Personally, MEA was the best (worst) example of a rushed and many times re-written flawed concept from the start that relied on an engine not suited for it. Those mistakes were on both BW's and EA's side.
But lately we've had a great example of EA trying something different - Jedi Fallen Order. If they're going to give BW the same level of creative freedom they gave Respawn and won't force them into Frostbite and stupid deadlines, then I say go for it.
I would LOVE to have another ME. With characters old or new, Reaper era, Andromeda era, or even something different like First Contact War, doesn't matter. I would play it and I would love it.

Shepard is dead. Time to get over it and move on which is what MEA did and most fans can't stand it.

Exactly this, people expected ME4 but it wasn't and they can't get over it.
When you look at Andromeda as a new space story and don't compare it to ME 1, 2, and 3 then you've got a pretty good game imho.
I wouldn't mind a new ME game at all.

Completely agree here VA. Andromeda could have been great...clearly underdeveloped, under staffed, under prioritised, underPANTS.

BW in general has displayed all these traits recently.

Hi. Devil's advocate here.
Putting the fact that MEA was quite enjoyable for me (I always try to see the best in games and overlook the flaws - it's a conscious choice that makes for a happier gaming), I'd never say "Don't even try"
Personally, MEA was the best (worst) example of a rushed and many times re-written flawed concept from the start that relied on an engine not suited for it. Those mistakes were on both BW's and EA's side.
But lately we've had a great example of EA trying something different - Jedi Fallen Order. If they're going to give BW the same level of creative freedom they gave Respawn and won't force them into Frostbite and stupid deadlines, then I say go for it.
I would LOVE to have another ME. With characters old or new, Reaper era, Andromeda era, or even something different like First Contact War, doesn't matter. I would play it and I would love it.
I could see myself play First Contact war scenario. I kinda had it with galactic holocausts for now. Bigger isn't always better.

I know this sounds weird, but for the last week I've been playing ED VR instead of playing ED. In other words, ED in VR feels like a very different game than ED on a flat screen - a much more enjoyable, immersive, "I'm flying a freaking space ship!" game.

I still very much enjoy other 2D games, and I'm glad not everything is in VR - some games would not translate very well, and I do need to take breaks from having that heavy ski mask strapped to my head.

I know this sounds weird, but for the last week I've been playing ED VR instead of playing ED. In other words, ED in VR feels like a very different game than ED on a flat screen - a much more enjoyable, immersive, "I'm flying a freaking space ship!" game.

I still very much enjoy other 2D games, and I'm glad not everything is in VR - some games would not translate very well, and I do need to take breaks from having that heavy ski mask strapped to my head.
VR is important for Elite. I see it on myself.
On a flat screen, we tend to gamify the session - i.e. "What am I going to do to earn credits/gather materials/see something interesting.
In VR one tends to simply enjoy the act of flying the spaceship itself without having to do anything or simply doing whatever. That is where Elite is at its strongest, imo.
Funny thing is that I usually end up with the similar amount of credits or materials (or experiences) as if I were focusing on them, but I have much better feeling about the session.

I honestly can't say if I would be still playing Elite if I didn't have VR.

In my experience, having clocked a few hundred hours on E: D in VR, it's great provided you're not actually doing stuff.

VR in E: D is its own game... and the other stuff that surrounds it isn't really that important when you get the headset on. You just gawk at the stations, your ship, other ships, planets, etc. It's truly glorious at times.

But for me at least, on a DK2 and now a CV1, the text is still too hard to read comfortably... so, grinding missions, or resource collection, or trading, or whatever... is better in 2D for long periods IMO.

In my experience, having clocked a few hundred hours on E: D in VR, it's great provided you're not actually doing stuff.

VR in E: D is its own game... and the other stuff that surrounds it isn't really that important when you get the headset on. You just gawk at the stations, your ship, other ships, planets, etc. It's truly glorious at times.

But for me at least, on a DK2 and now a CV1, the text is still too hard to read comfortably... so, grinding missions, or resource collection, or trading, or whatever... is better in 2D for long periods IMO.

I got a Rift S yesterday. Fired Up Elite for the first time in a couple of years. Flying the ship is ace in VR, everything looks massive. With the Rift S I had no problems reading text. I remember that being an issue when I tried someones DK2 a while back. What I did have a problem with was remembering how to play :D

Navigating the galaxy map seems awkward in VR, dunno if I just haven't got the hang of it yet. also I have some stuff bound to keyboard rather than HOTAS, so finding my keyboard was an issue :D

I did start to feel a bit dizzy after an hour or so, especially after rolling the ship.

I got a Rift S yesterday. Fired Up Elite for the first time in a couple of years. Flying the ship is ace in VR, everything looks massive. With the Rift S I had no problems reading text. I remember that being an issue when I tried someones DK2 a while back. What I did have a problem with was remembering how to play :D

Congrats on the Rift S - I've not tried that yet - naturally I saw the Black Friday sale and was tempted, but no money. I just have to "make do" with the CV1, which tbh hasn't been used in over 6 months.

Navigating the galaxy map seems awkward in VR, dunno if I just haven't got the hang of it yet. also I have some stuff bound to keyboard rather than HOTAS, so finding my keyboard was an issue :D

I did start to feel a bit dizzy after an hour or so, especially after rolling the ship.

Yep, the galaxy map controls need a fair bit of tweaking in VR. Depending on what you use (Hotas, gamepad, keyboard, etc) I found the default mappings for 2D (which relied on the mouse) practically unusable in VR. So it's really just about having a different mapping for VR, and training your brain to use it.

It can be done though, and once you get the hang of it, it's second nature like everything else.

This is why I still use my PS4 controller despite owning a flight stick, as I find it's the best all-around input device for all the facets of ED - not just flying, but navigating menus, using the maps and FSS, and driving the SRV.

I do see adding voice control at some point, as I rely on the keyboard for certain mappings that won't fit on the DS4.

I'm playing No Man's Sky. The Fury by Martech (yes, really!) I've just about given up with Star Wars Battlefront II after the latest update made the Hero spam so much worse. I'm contemplating buying "Carrier Command, the Gaea Missions" and awaiting "Doom Eternal" with the keenest anticipation.

I'm playing No Man's Sky. The Fury by Martech (yes, really!) I've just about given up with Star Wars Battlefront II after the latest update made the Hero spam so much worse. I'm contemplating buying "Carrier Command, the Gaea Missions" and awaiting "Doom Eternal" with the keenest anticipation.
Bohemia's Carrier Command ?
I got it when released, played it for a short time and haven't been back in since. It's very good graphics wise I thought, but just didn't get into it at all. I bought it mainly just to keep supporting the studio, I am an Arma nutcase.. ;)

Bohemia's Carrier Command ?
I got it when released, played it for a short time and haven't been back in since. It's very good graphics wise I thought, but just didn't get into it at all. I bought it mainly just to keep backing the studio, I am an Arma nutcase.. ;)

That's the one. I loved the original. I think they flunked the reboot - god knows why it needed spurious FPS and cut-scenes added. It literally just needed to be the original game with better graphics and maybe a few extra weapons to cope with the more "Geographic" islands. They spent a lot of time guilding a lilly to death.

That's the one. I loved the original. I think they flunked the reboot - god knows why it needed spurious FPS and cut-scenes added. It literally just needed to be the original game with better graphics and maybe a few extra weapons to cope with the more "Geographic" islands. They spent a lot of time guilding a lilly to death.
There is a 'Mission Editor' in there as well iirc.. ?
I'll probably give it a run out at some stage, had forgotten it till you mentioned it. :)

Top Bottom