What other games are we all playing?

Too bad for World Of Warships. Wargaming has been behaving badly of late, so my money is going elsewhere. I'll still play, of course, but spending has been cut off.
Think of it as a travel ban to Russia...

Just bought Stellaris-Galaxies for 75% off on Steam.

Looks like I'm going to have lots of free time...
Excellent! Here in the US, many states have cancelled school and university for students for about a month due to the virus scare. So you'll have lots of company playing Stellaris. And lots of challenges trying to get online if playing any MMOs like ESO, RDRO GTAO etc etc. Good luck getting into any online games given the sheer volume of gamer traffic online gaming franchises are going to experience over the next few weeks. lol

Doom Eternal is pre-loading on my drive right now. Where's my boomstick?
source.gif

Wow! Some old school titles (from 2009 release) are seeing RECORD player numbers on Steam Top 100 because so many ppl are staying home and now appear to be playing on line. More specifically, much loved and popular titles with hard core fan bases got a boost thanks to the virus scare to date.

Legacy games peaking around 5K-6K+ gamers today are
  • The Sims 3 (typically hovers just outside the Top 100 until Steam sale events)
  • Fallout New Vegas (same like Sims 3. Dated graphics are most probably why this hasn't kicked Fallout 4's backside on the charts yet. Because the free player based developed DLC world space mods the likes of Fallout New California obliterates half the superficial content Bethesda released for FO4 to date.
Contemporary games
  • Stellaris. Killing the field at a record 54K+ peak gamers today. The recent Federation DLC seems to be the cause for this. With a whopping 41K+ gamers still playing as of this moment
  • Space Engineers (peaked at 10K+ players a record which is 50% off the peak at game release)
  • AC Odyssey (has been fading in player retention numbers for quite some time now)
  • ONI and XCom2 8K to 11K+. Impressive since these numbers had been fading.
Seems the virus pandemic has one positive effect: it's brought a LOT of gamers together socializing, collaborating and/or competing with each other online!

edit: Base game Stellaris is currently on sale at 75% off for only $10 USD today. Grab this steal while you can!

Last edited:
I got Borderlands 3 and at first I wasn't particularly impressed. It looked/sounded/felt like a dlc for Borderlands 2, which isn't a bad thing since I really liked the bazillion hours I spent playing BL2, but still a let down since I played a bazillion hours of BL 2 if you know what I mean. Then, about 3 hours in or so the story really takes off and you leave that feeling in the dust. Now that I'm past the early phase I'm actually growing more impressed with each play session. Glad I stuck with it.

Terminator Resistance.

Not the best FPS I've ever played, but faithful to the first film and nicely atmospheric with a good soundtrack. Like a better looking and smoother future shock.

Good for fans of the original genre before it all went pants.

I got Borderlands 3 and at first I wasn't particularly impressed. It looked/sounded/felt like a dlc for Borderlands 2, which isn't a bad thing since I really liked the bazillion hours I spent playing BL2, but still a let down since I played a bazillion hours of BL 2 if you know what I mean. Then, about 3 hours in or so the story really takes off and you leave that feeling in the dust. Now that I'm past the early phase I'm actually growing more impressed with each play session. Glad I stuck with it.
Steam says I'm 24 hours in. Like you, I was a big fan of BL2 and was kind of skeptic, but I really love it. I'm still not at the end of the story, but I'm already having a ton of fun re-running and farming legendaries - something that was pretty much an end-game in BL2.
I'm really looking forward to NG+ where I don't have to care about the leveling.
And also to replaying it with the other characters, of course. I chose the Siren first and she's a lot of fun, but I'm really interested in how the other ones play, too. :)

Unlike you, I don't plan on playing Doom, right now, so I can take my time with it. It's really good.

Steam says I'm 24 hours in. Like you, I was a big fan of BL2 and was kind of skeptic, but I really love it. I'm still not at the end of the story, but I'm already having a ton of fun re-running and farming legendaries - something that was pretty much an end-game in BL2.
I'm really looking forward to NG+ where I don't have to care about the leveling.
And also to replaying it with the other characters, of course. I chose the Siren first and she's a lot of fun, but I'm really interested in how the other ones play, too. :)

Unlike you, I don't plan on playing Doom, right now, so I can take my time with it. It's really good.
Actually, I might be modifying my plan to keep playing this, too. Doom is on my computer and ready to rock, but BL3 has really been growing on me. I'm playing solo on normal difficulty. Are you having any problems with soloing it yourself in the later levels?

Finally. After successful beta test period, SE's first DLC for 2020 the Frostbite Pack has finally been released on Steam. Update adds a solid range of new and improved game mechanics/game play features. From the long requested fan base small Hydrogen tank so crucial to building/buying bases, community based volunteers who provided voice acting for the first time in the game, the design of land vehicles and space/air breathing ships. To an entire new snowy and frozen tundra like planet that adds optional, realistic, survival element challenges in missions and sand box game play. This is how a game dev should behave. Responsive and conscientious of their fan base needs. Responsible and dedicated to building their franchise fan base community. Collaborating with the best of the fan base modding community to constantly introduce more immersive/functional game play features and content. Providing said dynamically evolving content at a reasonable price to the fan base on both PC and console platforms. Thanks to this sort of collaboration, I no longer have to download weather mods from Steam workshop for my game. Atmospheric weather and regional climates can be experienced straight out of the game's vanilla box :geek:

And it's all available for the astronomical macro transaction price of 399 US pennies :love:

Here's a basic review of the DLC by the dev introducing the new weather and other features. Love the attention to detail at 16:00 where you can visually id the locker contents at the space station. And make a quick determination if you need to interact with the storage or not to grab a suit, extra gear like tools etc..

Last edited:
Actually, I might be modifying my plan to keep playing this, too. Doom is on my computer and ready to rock, but BL3 has really been growing on me. I'm playing solo on normal difficulty. Are you having any problems with soloing it yourself in the later levels?
I also play solo. I'm not big on playing with other people.
I die occasionally, of course, mainly because of the classic BL AI (it was the same in BL2) when enemies down me and then run away so I can't get the second wind. :LOL:

Also I noticed an annoying "design flaw" (I'm sure it's intentional but it sure feels unfair) - the mission level is beep. Meaning it doesn't match the level of enemies you're going to meet. On several occasions I started a mission that is, let's say, one level above me, therefore perfectly doable with a bit of carefulness. but during the mission the level of enemies is slowly rising and the final boss is three of four levels above mine and impossible to beat, so I have to leave it there and go grind some levels and better weapons before I can finish. That happened several times, both with main and side missions. Since then I learned to only do missions that are one or two levels below to ensure I remain competitive with the enemies at the end.

That being said, grinding for levels and better weapons is fun. I enjoy re-running the areas, I already memorized several bosses and "named enemies" with ensured legendary drops, plus I found out that the eridium crystals re-grow as well, so re-running the areas pays well and I was able to buy some nice skins. (You can mine eridium after you've been to the first Vault, btw. so maybe you're not that far, yet)

By and large, it's a great fun and kind of relaxing. And the story is surprisingly not entirely stupid and keeping me interested. So all good. :)

DCS is having a "Stay At Home Sale" along with free trials for various modules. Today and tomorrow you can try the venerable F/A-18C Hornet for free. The whole schedule is available here:

Thanks to user @Dako for the tip!

PS: @Chris Simon they have the Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrt too, Luke ;-)

EDIT: link directly to ED page.

Last edited:
I'm just skipping through my game library...checking to see if anything in the Origin vault is worth a look at...same with the Microsoft gamepass freebies.

Borderlands 3 is an odd combo. Orgasmic gunplay shackled to what can only be described as "cringe worthy" story.

I've played about 90 minutes of Doom, which seems like a combination of Doom 2016 combined with Super Mario 64. It's fun, but the flavah is so different than BL3 that I think I'll stick with the former until the end of the campaign before switching over.

Looks like plenty of time to game in the days ahead:)

Top Bottom