What other games are we all playing?

People are complaining about having to aim at things and use the chainsaw (I kid you not).

That's weird. I mean, a lot of the stronger demons have weak points you can exploit but the old adage remains true: if brute force isn't working, you aren't using enough!

As far as the chainsaw goes that is an adjustment. But once you get in the habit of wacking a mook with it every few kills it's fine. The thing recharges a single use now and you can collect gas to attack more powerful enemies.

It took me a few missions to get used to the new systems - the dance of farming resources while killing enemies is significantly more intricate - but at some point it just clicked.

I am become death, slayer of worlds. :D

That's weird. I mean, a lot of the stronger demons have weak points you can exploit but the old adage remains true: if brute force isn't working, you aren't using enough!

As far as the chainsaw goes that is an adjustment. But once you get in the habit of wacking a mook with it every few kills it's fine. The thing recharges a single use now and you can collect gas to attack more powerful enemies.

It took me a few missions to get used to the new systems - the dance of farming resources while killing enemies is significantly more intricate - but at some point it just clicked.

I am become death, slayer of worlds. :D
Yep, that's how I felt, too, once it clicked. I think I'm going to go on Steam and start a thread complaining about being forced to use guns.

Yep, that's how I felt, too, once it clicked. I think I'm going to go on Steam and start a thread complaining about being forced to use guns.

The chainsaw complaint reminds me of all the people complaining in DOOM '16 you had to keep attacking. Couldn't just take cover and wait for your health to regenerate.

My response was, "Go ask your Mom for a hug." :D

Last edited:
How is the length of the campaign looking compared to 2016?

If you're just cruising through I imagine it's about the same? There's tons more to do like secret demon fights and "Slayer Rooms" and all the exploring for knickknacks and what not. Finding them is enjoyable! Usually a trick or two you have to figure out then execute. After that you've got Master Levels and of course new game plus. I'm at the end game of the campaign missions and can't wait to dive back in. Got lots left since I like taking it easy the first time through.

Definitely get your money's worth and more so.

EDIT: Oh, one cool thing is cheat codes. You find them in the maps. Using them doesn't affect progression (though Slayer Rooms are blocked). Nice to see them encourage people just to have fun and abuse the game if they want.

I bought Ori and the Blind Forest recently, I was pretty sure I'll enjoy a beautiful platformer that has overwhelmingly positive reviews.

What a disappointment. Gameplay and level design is flawed. Playing on TV jump timing and trajectory is not sharp enough, but that really sealed the refund for me was the level design, specifically below the forest in which you can't see apart of your immediate surroundings. As I made my way through, at one point I was struck by a falling boulder out of nowhere. Then, trying again and timing my way through that boulder, a second strike came right next to it. None of them you can foresee and apparently I needed to figure it out by trying a 100 times. This isn't how classic and difficult platformers were designed -this is lazy and stupid to extend the time required to beat the game, what a waste of time...

I also play solo. I'm not big on playing with other people.
I die occasionally, of course, mainly because of the classic BL AI (it was the same in BL2) when enemies down me and then run away so I can't get the second wind. :LOL:

Also I noticed an annoying "design flaw" (I'm sure it's intentional but it sure feels unfair) - the mission level is beep. Meaning it doesn't match the level of enemies you're going to meet. On several occasions I started a mission that is, let's say, one level above me, therefore perfectly doable with a bit of carefulness. but during the mission the level of enemies is slowly rising and the final boss is three of four levels above mine and impossible to beat, so I have to leave it there and go grind some levels and better weapons before I can finish. That happened several times, both with main and side missions. Since then I learned to only do missions that are one or two levels below to ensure I remain competitive with the enemies at the end.

That being said, grinding for levels and better weapons is fun. I enjoy re-running the areas, I already memorized several bosses and "named enemies" with ensured legendary drops, plus I found out that the eridium crystals re-grow as well, so re-running the areas pays well and I was able to buy some nice skins. (You can mine eridium after you've been to the first Vault, btw. so maybe you're not that far, yet)

By and large, it's a great fun and kind of relaxing. And the story is surprisingly not entirely stupid and keeping me interested. So all good. :)
I think I'm going to start using your strategy. I've been trying campaign missions from maybe the same level or even my avatar being one below and it's getting pretty tedious by the end. The biggest problem is how bullet spongy enemies 2-4 levels higher than you are and having to leave a fight simply because you've run out of ammo. At it's heart BL3 is a multiplayer game and Normal difficulty is "hard" mode, so I think it's perfectly reasonable when playing solo to be a few levels higher than the recommended going in, that way you're at least close to the end bosses level when you finally get there.

I went ahead and got the season pass, too, and am looking forward to the Handsome Jack missions, plus Guns Love & Tentacles next week. All in all I can't say enough positive about the quality of the gameplay; just off the damn chart.

I think I'm going to start using your strategy. I've been trying campaign missions from maybe the same level or even my avatar being one below and it's getting pretty tedious by the end. The biggest problem is how bullet spongy enemies 2-4 levels higher than you are and having to leave a fight simply because you've run out of ammo. At it's heart BL3 is a multiplayer game and Normal difficulty is "hard" mode, so I think it's perfectly reasonable when playing solo to be a few levels higher than the recommended going in, that way you're at least close to the end bosses level when you finally get there.

I went ahead and got the season pass, too, and am looking forward to the Handsome Jack missions, plus Guns Love & Tentacles next week. All in all I can't say enough positive about the quality of the gameplay; just off the damn chart.

Yes, and this becomes more and more of an issue later on. At one point I even considered actually inviting a second player in to help me with something.
It's basically two problems - bullet-spongy enemies mean that you will run out of ammo. Happened to me twice, early on when I only had two gun slots. Later when you can carry four guns and earn enough money to buy a couple of ammo SDUs for your favourite gun type it's better but it's still annoying how much "work" you have to put into just going forward.
The second problem is money, as second wind doesn't always pan out ( :LOL: )and each death costs you 10% of your credits. That's bloody expensive and can run you pretty dry.

On the other hand, it's not THAT bad as the XP income is relatively high and if you do a bit of grinding, you are awarded by better guns. When you do a couple of side missions (which are usually fun, anyway) and get one or two levels above the expected level of the area you're in and its missions, it's smooth sailing for a couple of hours.

In fact, I think I only did about 30% of all side missions. I finished the game, today, on level 41 and since about a lvl 30 I only went after story missions. So if you do all the side content, I suppose you end up way over level, which would make it almost too easy.
The game clock stopped at 38 hours for me. If I subtract the side stuff, I think it makes about 30 hours of the main story content, which is pretty solid for a looter-shooter and definitely much better than all previous BL games.Yes, BL2 was "longer" but there was much more side stuff and much less story.

Speaking of story, surprisingly I really loved it. Kept me going all the way through and it's a nice overarching closure to the sirens lore and the whole vault thing. It's good. I teared up at the end, even. :D

Now onwards to the D-va... uhm.. I mean... whatever is her name. The mechagirl. :LOL:

Last edited:
Holy Cow! Duck is this you?

I was reviewing the dev's live stream of the Frostbite DLC when this person's name popped up in the chat window.....

SEDevStream.JPG

Holy Cow! Duck is this you?

I was reviewing the dev's live stream of the Frostbite DLC when this person's name popped up in the chat window.....

View attachment 166496
Name and icon match, so it’s probably him. Unfortunately, he’s taking a break from this forum at the moment.

Personally, I’m enjoying the new options the Frostbite DLC has added to the game. I only tried the vanilla “hanger doors” once, but even if I haven’t actually built them yet in my current game, I think the new gates make a much better alternative for my small craft hanger, and the new half slab doors make for a better airlock.

Top Bottom