What other games are we all playing?

...now if only I can stop dropping that bloody backpack every goddamn minute. People are starting to look at me weird...
Dropping the backpack is key. Without it, you can dodge a lot faster. The pocket slots let you keep potions and enchantments for any combat where you need mobility. But yeah, the controls can be really frustrating at times. I once accidentally stabbed the King of Abrassar. A bit awkward, considering that I work for him and everything...

Dropping the backpack is key. Without it, you can dodge a lot faster. The pocket slots let you keep potions and enchantments for any combat where you need mobility. But yeah, the controls can be really frustrating at times. I once accidentally stabbed the King of Abrassar. A bit awkward, considering that I work for him and everything...
Yeah, I know you are supposed to drop the backpack before a fight. :D
It's just those other instances of dropping it whenever I want to enter the inventory or check the map that infuriate me. :LOL:

...though funnily enough, I usually don't drop the backpack before fighting at all, because I have a greataxe which has this sick heavy attack that usually solves a lot of things with a first hit.

Outward was cheap on GOG so I bought it. Heard a lot about the game and its interesting combat and very free-roamy gameplay.
I quite like it so far, but man this thing frustrates me.
Not the combat or anything like that. But the controls are... I don't know how to describe it - wrong. :LOL:

I don't really play many games on a controller (last ones were JFO and Sekiro) so I can't say I have some strongly developed muscle memory for things, but in Outward, every button does something different than I expect it to.
I keep drawing the weapon instead of interacting with stuff, because the attack is on A and interaction is on Y for some reason.
I keep pressing D-pad up for inventory, so I keep dropping my bloody backpack every time I need to check something because inventory in this game is on a pause button (and pause is on a menu button of course.)
Quick items would also make more sense on Bumper+D-pad, rather than Bumper+action button...

'ts all wrong man, all wrong! :LOL:

I love it though. It's got a really nice atmosphere, some amazing game mechanics, it's kind of challenging but not frustrating and most importantly, the survival mechanics are not obtrusive and actually add something to the game rather than being there to just annoy you and inflate difficulty.

...now if only I can stop dropping that bloody backpack every goddamn minute. People are starting to look at me weird...
I played Outward co-op with a couple of mates for quite a while...really enjoyed it too. No idea why we stopped playing.

I played Outward co-op with a couple of mates for quite a while...really enjoyed it too. No idea why we stopped playing.
It happens, sometimes. You just don't have the time to play for a week or two and then you simply start doing something else instead of returning to that one game. 🤷‍♂️

I keep coming back to Overwatch. It's old, it's repetitive, it doesn't quite have the player base it used to have, Blizzard keeps messing with my favorite characters, but I still enjoy it after all this time. It's kinda like chess for me - it's always the same game (constant balancing notwithstanding), yet each match has the ability to be totally unique.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-01-at-5.59.21-PM.png

I've tried similar games - Team Fortress, Paladins, etc. but none feel as good to me as Overwatch does. My biggest complaint with Overwatch is that it draws in a less "mature" crowd, so YMMV when it comes to match quality (being on a team of bored, match-throwing preteens is not much fun).

I keep coming back to Overwatch. It's old, it's repetitive, it doesn't quite have the player base it used to have, Blizzard keeps messing with my favorite characters, but I still enjoy it after all this time. It's kinda like chess for me - it's always the same game (constant balancing notwithstanding), yet each match has the ability to be totally unique.

Screen-Shot-2019-11-01-at-5.59.21-PM.png

I've tried similar games - Team Fortress, Paladins, etc. but none feel as good to me as Overwatch does. My biggest complaint with Overwatch is that it draws in a less "mature" crowd, so YMMV when it comes to match quality (being on a team of bored, match-throwing preteens is not much fun).
I was talked into Overwatch some time ago. Unfortunately yes, most of the matches have at least one or two immature individuals who screw it up for everybody else. I didn't last long, unfortunately.

Yesterday I finally started playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint. I have put in 11 hours already and only finished 3% of the game :).

Breakpoint started out as a failed Ghost Recon game. It deserved all the criticism it got, and then some.
But... UBI really listened to the players. They completely overhauled the game mechanics, added tons of player control for gameplay mechanics, and this month they finally added npc teammates.

I think this game can now be considered a worthy successor for Wildlands.
The only thing I would like is a bit more challenging AI. I play it on hardest difficulty, but it can't keep up with patient stealth tactics, like I prefer to use.

Also balancing of weapons could be a bit better. I have been using the same sniper gun and assault rifle I took of an enemy in the first 30 minutes, and it seems like they are the best in the game. No need to find other weapons. The weapons in Wildlands felt more distinct to me. Perhaps I am missing something.

Yesterday I finally started playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint. I have put in 11 hours already and only finished 3% of the game :).

Breakpoint started out as a failed Ghost Recon game. It deserved all the criticism it got, and then some.
But... UBI really listened to the players. They completely overhauled the game mechanics, added tons of player control for gameplay mechanics, and this month they finally added npc teammates.

I think this game can now be considered a worthy successor for Wildlands.
The only thing I would like is a bit more challenging AI. I play it on hardest difficulty, but it can't keep up with patient stealth tactics, like I prefer to use.

Also balancing of weapons could be a bit better. I have been using the same sniper gun and assault rifle I took of an enemy in the first 30 minutes, and it seems like they are the best in the game. No need to find other weapons. The weapons in Wildlands felt more distinct to me. Perhaps I am missing something.
I still haven't re-installed it to find out...they went all catering to silly children with the weapon levelling which is a pure PvP mechanic and of little use in a co-op milsim-lite game. I hated the janky animations and the sheer clunkyness of it all...but most of all despised what they had done to a Tom Clancy franchise by introducing the cheap and nasty PvP Fortnite type gameplay to it all.

It'll never darken my games SSD ever again...

Last edited:
Obsidian new game called Grounded. Despite being overly done with "tree punchers" I got this one as its setting is actually interesting. Its "Honey I shrunk the kids" garden survival, really beautiful looking little game, worth checking out.

Outward was cheap on GOG so I bought it. Heard a lot about the game and its interesting combat and very free-roamy gameplay.
I quite like it so far, but man this thing frustrates me.
Not the combat or anything like that. But the controls are... I don't know how to describe it - wrong. :LOL:

I don't really play many games on a controller (last ones were JFO and Sekiro) so I can't say I have some strongly developed muscle memory for things, but in Outward, every button does something different than I expect it to.
I keep drawing the weapon instead of interacting with stuff, because the attack is on A and interaction is on Y for some reason.
I keep pressing D-pad up for inventory, so I keep dropping my bloody backpack every time I need to check something because inventory in this game is on a pause button (and pause is on a menu button of course.)
Quick items would also make more sense on Bumper+D-pad, rather than Bumper+action button...

'ts all wrong man, all wrong! :LOL:

I love it though. It's got a really nice atmosphere, some amazing game mechanics, it's kind of challenging but not frustrating and most importantly, the survival mechanics are not obtrusive and actually add something to the game rather than being there to just annoy you and inflate difficulty.

I have that problem with Halo. I got master chief collection and playing the old ones. Left trigger throws grenades instead of aim on the Xbox (Push right stick to aim). It just feels wrong to me.

I have a cunning plan...I'll play Hitman 2 and Destroy all humans (along with the usual fare of IL2) which will see me through until HZD releases next month...play that until Mafia definitive edition comes out in September...and that along with MSFS 2020 should see me through until CP2077 appears in November...fingers crossed anyway :)

I still haven't re-installed it to find out...they went all catering to silly children with the weapon levelling which is a pure PvP mechanic and of little use in a co-op milsim-lite game. I hated the janky animations and the sheer clunkyness of it all...but most of all despised what they had done to a Tom Clancy franchise by introducing the cheap and nasty PvP Fortnite type gameplay to it all.

It'll never darken my games SSD ever again...

The only Ghost Recon I ever played was the first, called only "Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon". It was quite fantastic for it's time, a slow burn tactical milisim-lite, where positioning your squad carefully before starting the engagement could sometimes turn an otherwise hairy battle into a 5 second killjob. Likewise, it was equally easy to get your entire squad killed, so gameplay was always quite tense. It was the first game of it's kind I remember playing back then, in a time when bullet sponge arcade shooters were still the norm.

It was from the first Ghost Recon I got the fondness for tactical squad combat games, like Brothers In Arms series, Vietcong 1 and 2, and my all-time tactical squad combat favorites Swat 3 and 4. I wish there was a new Swat combat.

Been meaning to try one of the modern Ghost Recon games, but there are so many of them I don't even know where to start, or even if they still have anything to do with the first one.

The only Ghost Recon I ever played was the first, called only "Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon". It was quite fantastic for it's time, a slow burn tactical milisim-lite, where positioning your squad carefully before starting the engagement could sometimes turn an otherwise hairy battle into a 5 second killjob. Likewise, it was equally easy to get your entire squad killed, so gameplay was always quite tense. It was the first game of it's kind I remember playing back then, in a time when bullet sponge arcade shooters were still the norm.

It was from the first Ghost Recon I got the fondness for tactical squad combat games, like Brothers In Arms series, Vietcong 1 and 2, and my all-time tactical squad combat favorites Swat 3 and 4. I wish there was a new Swat combat.

Been meaning to try one of the modern Ghost Recon games, but there are so many of them I don't even know where to start, or even if they still have anything to do with the first one.
Wildlands is the last good one...if I'm honest. Breakpoint isn't up to much at all. Rainbow 6 series died with the latest multipew only offering too...no campaign. If you see GR Wildlands on sale anywhere, it's well worth a playthrough given your history with the franchise.

I remember getting killed in that game....

Please Mister Game Master
Please Don't Make Me Die
Please Don't Give Me
That Super Duper PSI

Yes,our GM railroaded things again tonight. My character "retired", and I'm rolling up a new one for the next session. The group only has the Imperium, LSP, the Ine Givar, and the Zhodani after us. :(

When you discover your character has been psionically controlled to be a patsy for multiple purposes, it takes kind of the fun out of playing him. Now, he lives under an ammonia ocean, with squids, and kids...

Ah memories of the old Ghost Recon's, Rainbow 6's and SWATS....loved those tactical shooters, I got the SWAT 4 disk somewhere, must dig it out and see if it works in win 10.

At the mo I've re installed the "classic" Xwing games...all 4 on steam (yes I know GOGs are better but I'd already bought them on steam a few years back). Got them all working on my new win 10 PC, 3d hardware, joysticks, sounds all good.....man I LOVE these games although Xwing is HARD!!! Even with the relatively crap graphics it's like I'm IN Star Wars.....Can't wait for Squadrons!

Top Bottom