What other games are we all playing?

Once again, Empyrion is coming along nicely. Just when you begin to forget about their last update, they drop another. And with each update is with significantly better features that's steadily moving towards a fully fleshed out game. Latest does a graphics update.

Not groundbreaking that leans towards realism UHD/4K graphics. But significantly better than NMS and less realist than SE. Regardless, big kudos to Eleon Games dev team for being so dedicated on working on this project. It's hard to believe EGS was in early access on Steam since late summer 2015. When a lot of Kickstarters were spinning up and/or in production. And where many kickstarter titles failed, EGS prevailed to finally exit beta only five years later. With a sandbox supporting a MQ that now has:
  • a fully completed flight model
  • space/atmospheric/land and water vehicles
  • space legs which actually DO something and so are an afterthought (as they should be in every space game just like irl)
  • light RP/MQ elements which are continuously being expanded
  • gather/salvage/crafting/base & home building
  • space/air/land vehicle crafting
  • light survival mechanics that require oxygen/food/water/temperature and radiation management
  • decent hostile/friendly NPC AI
  • NPC proc gen settlements
  • proc gen POIs on proc gen planets varying from earth like to rocky planets
  • NPC-player trade/exploration/combat game mechanics, and
  • a completley stable proc gen universe
All of those features are still being streamlined/developed to support the MQ and sandbox side quests and activities. Which are still being expanded on like in this latest update.

And now they've added even more interactivity with destructible vegetation/game environment. And new humanoid/alien models for both PC and NPCs alike. When you look at the size of the dev team for EGS v. other space titles (both relased and early access). And then consider the production cost of EGS v. other titles to date. It's pretty clear the EGS dev team is one of the most underrated in the industry IMO. But that's because they only release significant scope expansion updates when necessary. And they've done so quietly without the hype, bells or whistles. My only compliant to date is the graphics weren't closer to ED or SE quality. But I"ll take whatever awesome features they compensate this eye candy defict for.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9BT1AJreV0

Once again, Empyrion is coming along nicely. Just when you begin to forget about their last update, they drop another. And with each update is with significantly better features that's steadily moving towards a fully fleshed out game. Latest does a graphics update.

Not groundbreaking that leans towards realism UHD/4K graphics. But significantly better than NMS and less realist than SE. Regardless, big kudos to Eleon Games dev team for being so dedicated on working on this project. It's hard to believe EGS was in early access on Steam since late summer 2015. When a lot of Kickstarters were spinning up and/or in production. And where many kickstarter titles failed, EGS prevailed to finally exit beta only five years later. With a sandbox supporting a MQ that now has:
  • a fully completed flight model
  • space/atmospheric/land and water vehicles
  • space legs which actually DO something and so are an afterthought (as they should be in every space game just like irl)
  • light RP/MQ elements which are continuously being expanded
  • gather/salvage/crafting/base & home building
  • space/air/land vehicle crafting
  • light survival mechanics that require oxygen/food/water/temperature and radiation management
  • decent hostile/friendly NPC AI
  • NPC proc gen settlements
  • proc gen POIs on proc gen planets varying from earth like to rocky planets
  • NPC-player trade/exploration/combat game mechanics, and
  • a completley stable proc gen universe
All of those features are still being streamlined/developed to support the MQ and sandbox side quests and activities. Which are still being expanded on like in this latest update.

And now they've added even more interactivity with destructible vegetation/game environment. And new humanoid/alien models for both PC and NPCs alike. When you look at the size of the dev team for EGS v. other space titles (both relased and early access). And then consider the production cost of EGS v. other titles to date. It's pretty clear the EGS dev team is one of the most underrated in the industry IMO. But that's because they only release significant scope expansion updates when necessary. And they've done so quietly without the hype, bells or whistles. My only compliant to date is the graphics weren't closer to ED or SE quality. But I"ll take whatever awesome features they compensate this eye candy defict for.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9BT1AJreV0
The main issue with this game that planets look like Earth. Very cheap execution.

Well if Odyssey doesn't make it to the PS4, then I will definitely be going back to NMS.
It has had the on-foot game play, freighter interiors, station interiors, base building, etc... since day one, or near enough.
I don't like the cartoony look of NMS though.

I'd rather have the above things in ED on console, but I can't see it happening.

So cartoony... :rolleyes:

20210717230436_1-hd.jpg

Bought it.
It unlocks a watch once you complete all the story missions that give you bonus stats everytime you level it.

I really just wanted to get some fresh content and go back to New York. Its a great game for set piece firefights that don't end very fast. Some of the bosses get a tad obnoxious with the health and armor creep as you hit max level and start doing tougher stuff but up to that point I really enjoyed it.

I liked constantly upgrading to new guns and always trying new stuff. Keeping up on all the other gear can be annoying, I enjoy the mod system in the game for the firearms. Lots of gear tuning you can do also end game with the bench that lets you store talents and specific attribute boosts also. Thats kind of where I fell off though.

Last edited:
It unlocks a watch once you complete all the story missions that give you bonus stats everytime you level it.

I really just wanted to get some fresh content and go back to New York. Its a great game for set piece firefights that don't end very fast. Some of the bosses get a tad obnoxious with the health and armor creep as you hit max level and start doing tougher stuff but up to that point I really enjoyed it.

I liked constantly upgrading to new guns and always trying new stuff. Keeping up on all the other gear can be annoying, I enjoy the mod system in the game for the firearms. Lots of gear tuning you can do also end game with the bench that lets you store talents and specific attribute boosts also. Thats kind of where I fell off though.
I enjoyed Division 2, but end game content was suxx, havent played since then.

Curious now about what cartoons you've seen that look even remotely like that. :unsure:

Cartoony does not mean a direct reference to a certain cartoon, but to the general feeling one gets from the graphics.
And not only from the graphics - the general setup, the way space travel is portrayed - make NMS more like a fairy tale, a peter pan in space etc, than a fully fledged sy-fy game (i cannot even call it a space game)

And yes, it is cartoony - and is really far from the realistic approach that was adopted in ED.
Especially on foot, during planetary walks. The vegetation, the sky, even the animals and the vehicles.
The cartoonish appearance is not as obvious in stations, but it is there too.
NMS reminds me about WoW, Spore and sometimes about Zelda, Candy Crush Saga and Minecraft (the ss you posted reminds me of a underwater landscape in minecraft) - granted none of those were cartoons, but all of them were more or less cartoonish.

I get it, that's their artistic / design choice and some people are totally onboard with it.
I'm not. (Even tho i kinda liked Zelda and i watched my daughter with interest playing it on her Switch)

Empyrion doesn't quite cut it either. 🙁

Last edited:
Cartoony does not mean a direct reference to a certain cartoon, but to the general feeling one gets from the graphics.
And not only from the graphics - the general setup, the way space travel is portrayed - make NMS more like a fairy tale, a peter pan in space etc, than a fully fledged sy-fy game (i cannot even call it a space game)

And yes, it is cartoony - and is really far from the realistic approach that was adopted in ED.
Especially on foot, during planetary walks. The vegetation, the sky, even the animals and the vehicles.
The cartoonish appearance is not as obvious in stations, but it is there too.
NMS reminds me about WoW, Spore and sometimes about Zelda, Candy Crush Saga and Minecraft (the ss you posted reminds me of a underwater landscape in minecraft) - granted none of those were cartoons, but all of them were more or less cartoonish.

I get it, that's their artistic / design choice and some people are totally onboard with it.
I'm not. (Even tho i kinda liked Zelda and i watched my daughter with interest playing it on her Switch)

Empyrion doesn't quit cut it either. 🙁

This is the reason I didn't get NMS so far despite their great track record of improving the game.
I cannot be helped but after seeing Space Engine all other space games look meh in depth and richness of environment, shame it has no real gameplay.

Top Bottom