What other games are we all playing?

Cartoony does not mean a direct reference to a certain cartoon, but to the general feeling one gets from the graphics.
And not only from the graphics - the general setup, the way space travel is portrayed - make NMS more like a fairy tale, a peter pan in space etc, than a fully fledged sy-fy game (i cannot even call it a space game)

And yes, it is cartoony - and is really far from the realistic approach that was adopted in ED.

"Cartoony" is the wrong adjective in that case. It implies something completely different from what you are saying above.

"Stylistic" would be more apt. In that they have gone for a certain style (in this case, Heinlein-esque 70s scifi) and applied that throughout the game. 🤷‍♀️

"Cartoony" just sells the whole endeavour short, which I think is unfair and inaccurate.

Darn, all this talk about cartoons and NMS led me to believe we were getting an NMS animated series. Now I am disappointed that we are not. :D

"Cartoony" is the wrong adjective in that case. It implies something completely different from what you are saying above.

"Stylistic" would be more apt. In that they have gone for a certain style (in this case, Heinlein-esque 70s scifi) and applied that throughout the game. 🤷‍♀️

"Cartoony" just sells the whole endeavour short, which I think is unfair and inaccurate.

Well said! o7

There is some good reading here. In one way or another I like all the games mentioned here for different reasons including the graphics; but I only own a few of them. I don't have SE so I've only seen videos of its level of detail.

I have NMS and agree its "different" looking from ED and others that try to achieve realism in the graphics. The geography of NMS planets are OK; its the colorful vegetation and critters that get cartoonish imho.

I'm so wishy washy about graphics and art that I can see good in nearly all types of games on the scene today. A lifelong wannabe artist I am and I like everything from impressionists, photorealism, abstract, classic landscapes, florals, etc etc. on and on. NMS is fun and I would play it more regardless of its graphic design except that ... I'm busy playing other games atm.

I like NMS. But "cartoony" is accurate.

I just happened to come across this piece of art from John Harris, who drew it back in the '70s.

EIi6WBo.jpg

Tell me that wasn't the inspiration for the Anomaly in NMS!

I think people call NMS "cartoonish" because it has a vivid color palette, much like this piece of art. Would anyone call this piece "cartoonish"? I doubt it. Maybe "modernist" or even "impressionistic" (probably a mix of the two) but not cartoony. Now, the wacky procgen fauna in NMS, that might qualify as cartoony. :)

I just happened to come across this piece of art from John Harris, who drew it back in the '70s.

EIi6WBo.jpg

I think people call NMS "cartoonish" because it has a vivid color palette, much like this piece of art. Would anyone call this piece "cartoonish"? I doubt it. Maybe "modernist" or even "impressionistic" (probably a mix of the two) but not cartoony. Now, the wacky procgen fauna in NMS, that might qualify as cartoony. :)
Imma still go with cartoony.

EIi6WBo.jpg

I would say NMS is more of an artistic graphic design.

EIi6WBo.jpg

To me, the game is like stepping inside a book cover. "Cartoony" is just such an ignorant description IMO... by people who have no idea or appreciation of art and design. The description needs to die a death. 🤷‍♀️

I'll take NMS' stylistic design & consistency over E: D's frankly disjointed mess any day of the week.

I suppose Monet is rubbish because his work doesn't look photorealistic. :rolleyes:

Robert-A.-Heinlein-paperback-collection.jpg

Last edited:
To me, the game is like stepping inside a book cover. "Cartoony" is just such an ignorant description IMO... by people who have no idea or appreciation of art and design. The description needs to die a death. 🤷‍♀️

You get overly fussed for nothing. If you like the style, just go and enjoy it.

Cartoony is not a derogatory term. It's just a realistic depiction of NMS' looks.
And there is nothing wrong with you liking it and me not liking it. 🤷‍♂️
I even said why i dont like the cartoony looks in NMS - the vegetation and critters look too much like Spore.
The sky, take off and space flight looks like space themed cartoons. Ships too. Space stations. Should i go on?

And that's a nice collection of book covers, i love them (my teenage years happened in the eighties and i grew up with that style of sci-fi art and book covers - mostly from the golden age of our '55-' '75 prints), but that still does nothing to change how NMS looks, so it doesn't really help your cause.

You get overly fussed for nothing. If you like the style, just go and enjoy it.

Cartoony is not a derogatory term. It's just a realistic depiction of NMS' looks.
And there is nothing wrong with you liking it and me not liking it. 🤷‍♂️
I even said why i dont like the cartoony looks in NMS - the vegetation and critters look too much like Spore.
The sky, take off and space flight looks like space themed cartoons. Ships too. Space stations. Should i go on?

And that's a nice collection of book covers, i love them (my teenage years happened in the eighties and i grew up with that style of sci-fi art and book covers - mostly from the golden age of our '55-' '75 prints), but that still does nothing to change how NMS looks, so it doesn't really help your cause.

It is used in a derogatory way by most people, which is why it bugs me greatly and I get triggered a bit when it's used.

It's an unnecessarily lazy (and wrong) way to describe an art style that a great deal of effort has gone into creating.

You can like it, or not... either is fine as far as I'm concerned, but at least give it the credit it deserves is all I'm saying. 🤷‍♀️ This isn't about "E: D versus NMS" and it's OK to like both art styles. Both games are unrealistic scifi fantasy, and neither is "wrong". Reducing it to "cartoony" is, IMO.

It is used in a derogatory way by most people, which is why it bugs me greatly and I get triggered a bit when it's used.

It's an unnecessarily lazy (and wrong) way to describe an art style that a great deal of effort has gone into creating.

You can like it, or not... either is fine as far as I'm concerned, but at least give it the credit it deserves is all I'm saying. 🤷‍♀️ This isn't about "E: D versus NMS" and it's OK to like both art styles. Both games are unrealistic scifi fantasy, and neither is "wrong". Reducing it to "cartoony" is, IMO.

I'm giving it enough credit.
And it is cartoony (now i did that on purpose to trigger you :D, but you dont really want me to post a picture with a cmdr in front of a sidewinder in a nice EDO sunset and then a picture with a NMS biped in front of his starter ship, do you?)

Also, i'm not the one to push people out of ED and into NMS like other forumites are trying to (on the Frontier forums, mind you) while they're miffed at FD because lack of console news or whatever other reasons.

NMS is not a replacement for Elite, pretty much like Elite is not a replacement for NMS.
I can easily see someone genuinely enjoying both games.

I'm giving it enough credit.
And it is cartoony (now i did that on purpose to trigger you :D, but you dont really want me to post a picture with a cmdr in front of a sidewinder in a nice EDO sunset and then a picture with a NMS biped in front of his starter ship, do you?)

That would be up to you, but it would genuinely prove nothing. Both games are depictions of a wholly unrealistic space fantasy... just with different art styles. Both games are animated, much like cartoons are, albeit in real time & based largely on player action. Honestly don't see how you can say NMS is a cartoon but E: D isn't, but I digress...

Also, i'm not the one to push people out of ED and into NMS like other forumites are trying to (on the Frontier forums, mind you) while they're miffed at FD because lack of console news or whatever other reasons.

I'm not doing that either. People play what they want, it's no concern of mine. 🤷‍♀️

On that note, House Flipper Luxury DLC has just been released, so I'm off[*] to play that... ;)

[*] after work...

I've thought a lot about buying Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. It looks fun and I heard its soundtrack is very good. I mention RGO because in my opinion it is more cartoonish than NMS. NMS is more colorful than reality and the critters and vegetables are wild looking (to say the least).
WOW, this topic really has energy ... like that battery rabbit; it just keeps on ticking.

Top Bottom