What other games are we all playing?

House Flipper Luxury DLC.

It's a fun, laid back game where you can be creative & not get messy doing it - so has much the same appeal to me as Car Mechanic Simulator which I've also played more hours than I care to count.

The new DLC released yesterday was only supposed to add a few extra items & houses - but they went a bit overboard with it (by their own admission) and added a whole bunch of new gameplay mechanics etc. The developers said they were nervous about releasing it, because they had a lot of issues during development & they're worried that they haven't caught them all, but I played last night for 4 hours straight and never came across anything bad. Still have a lot more to explore with it though.

Currently trying to complete all the 'jobs' in a minimalist way, so I can unlock the houses to buy, and do them up properly. A swimming pool in the living room? Why not...

I've thought a lot about buying Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. It looks fun and I heard its soundtrack is very good. I mention RGO because in my opinion it is more cartoonish than NMS. NMS is more colorful than reality and the critters and vegetables are wild looking (to say the least).
WOW, this topic really has energy ... like that battery rabbit; it just keeps on ticking.
Awhile back I bought the original Rebel Galaxy for cheap, and it was surprisingly fun! I still haven't finished it (RG ended up being my "gateway drug" to X4 Foundations), but it remains in my library and I can see going back and playing it more, just to finish the main story.

Baldur's Gate III Patch 6 just dropped. Draconic Sorcerer just lifts my mood.

Is that playable now?

It's very expensive for an alpha, so I cough tried an early 'evaluation version', and it was insanely buggy. I decided not to bother with it until it's released... but it's taking an awfully long time...

Is that playable now?

It's very expensive for an alpha, so I cough tried an early 'evaluation version', and it was insanely buggy. I decided not to bother with it until it's released... but it's taking an awfully long time...
Still alpha, but they have improved it significantly. Only first chapter too. Playthroughs at this point are more about exploring dialogue options and trying different builds. It's fun but like you said - pricey. I'd personally rate its value higher than Odyssey for sure. Full release is set for late 2022. After I exhaust the sorcerer experience I'll do Far Cry 6.

To me, the game is like stepping inside a book cover. "Cartoony" is just such an ignorant description IMO... by people who have no idea or appreciation of art and design. The description needs to die a death. 🤷‍♀️

I'll take NMS' stylistic design & consistency over E: D's frankly disjointed mess any day of the week.

I suppose Monet is rubbish because his work doesn't look photorealistic. :rolleyes:

Robert-A.-Heinlein-paperback-collection.jpg

Art is 100% subjective as their overly eccentric artisans of the trade. Particularly to those of us ignorant Italian hayseeds who lack the Greek to appreciate the finer aspects of life. :D

Monet was either too broke and/or parsimonious to improve his washed out pastoral scenery palettes by simple upgrade his blasted paint set. Personally think this one's work would've handsomely benefitted from doing a single Fresco apprenticeship on the Italian peninsula somewhere

Unlike Picasso, who was clearly on crack. Nvm the fact that one was a confirmed junkie. Who was typically as high as the stratosphere when he created some of his most infamous popular "works of art". A lot like this one, which reminds me of something a Kindergartener high on acid would create if gifted a paint set. And any unfortunate wall space real estate somewhere in your home...
oof.jpg

Ooof. Coo.... o_O

Just because artists need to wait to become canonized posthumously by the art major/cultural bourgeois elitists of the world, doesn't mean the perceived value of their work is considered valuable to all.

As an engineering major nerd/geek--who's left brain handicap has cursed me to write write upside down for life--I'm doomed with the left brained logical way of seeing the world. So technically, Picasso Cubism should send me into visionary overload -- second only to orgasm. Yet oddly enough it does not? The same optical mind block I get when encountering art work like Heinlein. Or when subconsciously processing visual feedback from "cartoonish" art styles while playing games like NMS and The Outer Worlds. I'm prejudicial for more realism styles from the likes of ED and X4.

My ability to consider Heinlein/Monet/Picasso art on par with (prejudicially self perceived) works of art --- the likes of a Holbein or Rembrandt---is a completely unfeasible mental feat. That vast chasm of faith I would need to leap is too unattainable in both depth and width. :LOL:

Art is 100% subjective.

Monet was too much of a beggar Prince and/or a Scrooge miser to earn my creative appreciation. Picasso was clearly always under the influence of crack. And so will always be a living paradigm of all prejudicial left brain biological reproach. Art styles the likes of Heinlein, NMS and The Outer Worlds will always be on the borderline of reproach where my subjective appreciation is concerned.

Last edited:
Art is 100% subjective as their overly eccentric artisans of the trade. Particularly to those of us ignorant Italian hayseeds who lack the Greek to appreciate the finer aspects of life. :D

Monet was either too broke and/or parsimonious to improve his washed out pastoral scenery palettes by simple upgrade his blasted paint set. Personally think this one's work would've handsomely benefitted from doing a single Fresco apprenticeship on the Italian peninsula somewhere

Unlike Picasso, who was clearly on crack. Nvm the fact that one was a confirmed junkie. Who was typically as high as the stratosphere when he created some of his most infamous popular "works of art". A lot like this one, which reminds me of something a Kindergartener high on acid would create if gifted a paint set. And any unfortunate wall space real estate somewhere in your home...
View attachment 269143
Ooof. Coo.... o_O

Just because artists need to wait to become canonized posthumously by the art major/cultural bourgeois elitists of the world, doesn't mean the perceived value of their work is considered valuable to all.

As an engineering major nerd/geek--who's left brain handicap has cursed me to write write upside down for life--I'm doomed with the left brained logical way of seeing the world. So technically, Picasso Cubism should send me into visionary overload -- second only to orgasm. Yet oddly enough it does not? The same optical mind block I get when encountering art work like Heinlein. Or when subconsciously processing visual feedback from "cartoonish" art styles while playing games like NMS and The Outer Worlds. I'm prejudicial for more realism styles from the likes of ED and X4.

My ability to consider Heinlein/Monet/Picasso art on par with (prejudicially self perceived) works of art --- the likes of a Holbein or Rembrandt---is a completely unfeasible mental feat. That vast chasm of faith I would need to leap is too unattainable in both depth and width. :LOL:

Art is 100% subjective.

Monet was too much of a beggar Prince and/or a Scrooge miser to earn my creative appreciation. Picasso was clearly always under the influence of crack. And so will always be a living paradigm of all prejudicial left brain biological reproach. Art styles the likes of Heinlein, NMS and The Outer Worlds will always be on the borderline of reproach where my subjective appreciation is concerned.
As one of the older breed of slide-rule and pocket protector engineers, I understand your outlook.

However we enjoyed such things as guilty pleasures. And, loved Chuck Jones cartoons.

As for art, I'm a dog. :geek:

Finished, and uninstalled, ME: Andromeda. At least I finally had my moneys worth from it. Never will reinstall though, far too many "Dear Deity. What were they thinking" moments....

Back to Subnautica:Below Zero and some Elite :)

View attachment 269143
Ooof. Coo.... o_O

Art is 100% subjective.

Heinlein ? Is it Robert A. Heinlein you're referring to ?
Just curious, I did not know Robert Heinlein painted. (I assume you mean he was a painter/artist when associated/coupled with Monet and Picasso (but then there's Manet too).

Part of my downfall as a visual artist is my complete admiration for all art. From the ancients to today.
As a diversion, I watched this movie a few years ago and was blown away by it:
I'm not nearly as eloquent in my critiquing of art as others but I sure like art of all kinds. I thought about listing some of my favorites but the list would be too long. (and this is not a painting forum)

GL HF and have a nice safe day

Edit: I thought I'd throw this one out there too. This guy painted a lot of space and sci-fi book covers. His painting were one many books I read back in the 60s and 70s.

Last edited:
I was referring to Heinlein the sci fi writer (which Juniper posted some pics of his novels earlier). Have no clue if he dabbled with the paint brush or not. From the (reasonably normal) looks of the 1950s retro-futuristic art adorning his literary tomes, doesn't look like he made a habit of vaping paint (or any other chemical substance). So it seems the bookwork population is safe. :D

All creative cover work aside, Heinlein seems like an interesting read. Becoming tempted to do just that. Maybe because his novel cover art work keeps giving me a weird Fallout meets Star Trek vibe for some reason. Also appeared to be quite prolific with the number of titles he put out. Reminds me of Isaac Asimov and seems almost as good. Almost....

I was referring to Heinlein the sci fi writer (which Juniper posted some pics of his novels earlier). Have no clue if he dabbled with the paint brush or not. From the (reasonably normal) looks of the 1950s retro-futuristic art adorning his literary tomes, doesn't look like he made a habit of vaping paint (or any other chemical substance). So it seems the bookwork population is safe. :D

All creative cover work aside, Heinlein seems like an interesting read. Becoming tempted to do just that. Maybe because his novel cover art work keeps giving me a weird Fallout meets Star Trek vibe for some reason. Also appeared to be quite prolific with the number of titles he put out. Reminds me of Isaac Asimov and seems almost as good. Almost....
As far as I know, Lt. H didn't make any of his book covers.

He was too busy trying to be one of his protagonists...

Dr. A, all the way!

Sorry no, Heinlein didn't do the artwork for his books, but he approved them all and they were all of a certain style. Apologies for the confusion!

His work is well worth reading though. I'd recommend "Stranger in a Strange Land", "The Puppet Master" and "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" as starting points. There's also "Starship Troopers", which was later made into a film you might have seen...

I've been playing Bannerlord a lot recently. Initially I refunded it because it was unplayable on my system due to crashes. but it's a lot more stable now so I bought it again.

I've put enough time in for my main character to die of old age, so now carrying on as my ingame daughter. That's a very cool feature :cool:

Top Bottom