What other games are we all playing?

Looks like I'm back to playing XRebirth and WoWs for a while. After days of trying to get MW5 to run, I gave up (for now) and got a refund. No problem, I'll try at a later date. I had comms w/ support but they didn't help much so I decided to just bail. I did get to play some on the first install and it was fun fwiw. I may crank up MWO now to scratch that mech itch. GL HF Commanders
Sorry to hear about your problems with MW5. What was going on? You refunded the game so it's too late now, but MW5 runs just fine with Geforce Now. Just an alternative platform to keep in mind when having trouble running a game.

It has been ages since I've got hooked on a WWII game - generally speaking, I am burned out on WWII gaming after a lifetime of partaking :D - but I have to say Enlisted is probably the most fun I've had in a WWII shooter since Red Orchestra. Considering this game still has a long ways to go before it reaches a v1.0, it is already a fantastic shooter loaded with content. I particularly love the unique spin it brings to the genre by giving each player a squad of bots to bring into battle with him. What results are battles that can be truly cinematic at times. This is F2P, so it is definitely worth a try as it will cost you nothing.

h7W7gVz.jpg

NewWorld: This game has every aspect of what is to look forward to as a benchmark for a first game made from scratch, made on a new game engine, it is great. The graphics are smooth and gorgeous. The lore and setting are both entertaining and innovative. Game mechanics are enjoyable with only a couple of minor exceptions (new world gold is really hard to get). There is no swimming just literally walking underwater. The jump could be a little better, but you have a phenomenal set of movements for getting over rough terrain.

A number of prominent MMOers would disagree with your analysis on some of those points. JSH has been especially critical of it.

NewWorld: This game has every aspect of what is to look forward to as a benchmark for a first game made from scratch, made on a new game engine, it is great. The graphics are smooth and gorgeous. The lore and setting are both entertaining and innovative. Game mechanics are enjoyable with only a couple of minor exceptions (new world gold is really hard to get). There is no swimming just literally walking underwater. The jump could be a little better, but you have a phenomenal set of movements for getting over rough terrain.

That's the game that literally kills 3090 cards, isn't it? :unsure:

After days of trying to get MW5 to run, I gave up (for now) and got a refund. No problem, I'll try at a later date. I had comms w/ support but they didn't help much so I decided to just bail. I did get to play some on the first install and it was fun fwiw. I may crank up MWO now to scratch that mech itch. GL HF Commanders

What were the exact symptoms here? Did it not start at all?

MW5 was always a bit weird. It defaults to DX11, but DX11 is largely broken on it, so it's best to force DX12 via a command line argument.

That's the game that literally kills 3090 cards, isn't it? :unsure:

It's one game that could find defective cards faster than some others.

If the part wasn't broken to begin with, wasn't attached to a broken or inadequate PSU, and wasn't being run outside of spec in some other way, no software, run for any length of time, should be able to kill it. Even if you wrote something specifically to kill hardware, short of flashing firmware or overriding power tables to allow specifications to be bypassed, all the limiters present should preserve the part. At best (worst?) you'd be able to induce some transient power spikes, which would be harmless to parts with good power delivery designs.

It's one game that could find defective cards faster than some others.

If the part wasn't broken to begin with, wasn't attached to a broken or inadequate PSU, and wasn't being run outside of spec in some other way, no software, run for any length of time, should be able to kill it. Even if you wrote something specifically to kill hardware, short of flashing firmware or overriding power tables to allow specifications to be bypassed, all the limiters present should preserve the part. At best (worst?) you'd be able to induce some transient power spikes, which would be harmless to parts with good power delivery designs.

Still, I remember quite a few YTers pointing it out... and even trying to verify it with their own cards. (!)

I don't have (nor ever likely to have) a 3090, but it's probably a game I'll still steer clear of because of it. I still have a 1080Ti, and if that dies, I'm screwed. 🤷‍♀️

even trying to verify it with their own cards. (!)

The first thing I'd do, mostly to debunk the idea that the game was the issue, or with much less likelihood, to discover a flaw in my GPU sample that would need addressing anyway. Any actual game that can quickly kill any appreciable fraction of new GPUs, without them being set well past spec, is something I want in my kit of first-line tests. It would be an extremely useful validation tool, kinda like 3DMark Night Raid (which is weird and craps out dozens to hundreds of MHz sooner than almost anything else, at lower stress/power) for overclocking RDNA cards.

I don't have (nor ever likely to have) a 3090, but it's probably a game I'll still steer clear of because of it. I still have a 1080Ti, and if that dies, I'm screwed. 🤷‍♀️

The failure rates were tiny. EVGA, for example, got back 24 dead 3090s related to New World and found manufacturing defects on all of them.

If a part is out of warranty and one is unsure of it's quality, it may be prudent to avoid undue stresses. However, I make sure to test all of my components shortly after I get them, while they can still be easily replaced, to an extent that convinces me they are not weak samples and that they are out of the initial high-point of the bathtub failure curve. If I can't kill it in a month, no game is going to kill it any time in it's expected lifespan.

What were the exact symptoms here? Did it not start at all?

MW5 was always a bit weird. It defaults to DX11, but DX11 is largely broken on it, so it's best to force DX12 via a command line argument.
My MW5 would install OK, then run OK w/o any issues (I noticed in the short time I had it). But on restart it wanted to do an update; the update failed every time, and it labelled my install as corrupted. I tried the management function of repair, but wouldn't repair. (I did some searches but the solutions from others was what I was already doing ... repair, reinstall, etc.)
So, I could uninstall, reinstall and it would work until I logged out of the game and GOG launcher. When I restarted the game it wanted to update, then failed again ... rinse repeat over and over.
A couple of times after I uninstalled, I would go into all the subdirectories it placed files and I would delete the directories before I would try and reinstall. That happened multiple times. One side note was the game ran very hot. I always run a temp monitoring app that tracks heat and other things and it was the worse game I've had for burning up the graphics card and sometimes the CPU heat would jump up periodically.

I play several games off GoG (XRebirth, X4, Civil War, Steel Divisions, etc.) and I've never had that problem. I'm OK with not having MW5 right now. I replied back to GoG support and told them I wasn't mad and would maybe try again with MW5 at a later date and shined the carrot at them that I was looking at other games I may buy and that I was still happy with GoG. No harm.
I can always try MWO again if I get that mech itch. I've had an account there for years and own some nice mechs to roam around in.

Thanks and GL HF, I am with my other games. (oops, sorry for the long post)

If GoG Galaxy is giving you issues with updates, hide those games in it, and install/update them manually with the offline installers at the GoG site.

Thanks for the suggestions. I thought about trying to launch it from file manager but decided to simply bail and delay getting it now. I didn't have it long enough to address the heat issue with some in game settings so the combo of the heat issue and never-ending update situation just lead me to move on.
I really appreciate the help. Have a nice evening.

Well, I have 7 accounts for E: D (eight if you count the PS4 abandonware version). I haven't logged into any of them for months, and no plans to either. 🤷‍♀️

LOL, you have 8? With all the salt you've poured over the game over the years and you bought 8?

Have you considered buying an Idris?

Top Bottom