What other games are we all playing?

Ok my 2 cents worth….still ED and played every day, 12-16 hours per day for last 3 months!! Occasionally play a few hours of Forza Horizon 5 but mainly still ED despite having the big 3 all fully engineered, a fleet carrier and nearly 2 billion in credits!! It is starting to lose its appeal if I’m brutally honest. Only really do pve combat which is why it’s getting stale. Tried anti xeno a few times and got hammered! Looked at passenger missions but 50 million credits for a 40,000 LY round trip just ain’t worth it and mining bored me to tears 🤣🤣

Merry Christmas to all ED space denizens!

Protip: Snowrunner currently off at 35% and going for $20 USD on Steam.

For all you ETS, ATS (and F22!) driving professionals who enjoy flirting with danger while driving on the road, this is your fix. Had a solid review here:

a great new player guide

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5t_GRhEPkw

Didn't realize how detailed and ultra realistic they made the Newtonian physics in this game. Which has been a foundational core of the game play since last year. Kudos to the devs managed to achieve such high replayability.

IMO this could be a feature ETS might want to consider as a future marketing strategy. Adding an optional/toggable and challenging driving game mode like this. Instead of transporting retail/wholesale goods, now you get to do Search and Rescue transporting abandoned/marooned vehicles in challenging environments.

Perhaps ETS could integrate some of these features as optional S&R side contracts which are high risk and even higher rewards under tight suspenses. IMO this would add an interesting dimension to how you could strategically build your trucking fleet. Especially where challenging environmental maps like Alaska/USSR etc. with seasonal environmental challenges are concerned. And this would add an interesting (albeit weakly anemic) survival RPG to the driving sim experience while transporting your load in the game
Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQZOvTHTd08

Last edited:
Fired up Civ IV vanilla last night using proton 5.something-or-other
My favorite Civ game. The square grid, and especially the music is what makes it my favorite.
Playing China on a continent map. Somehow the AI is beating me to the punch in terms of tech, and wonders. This never happens, but I usually play archipelago maps.
Waiting to see if researching calendar will crash the game again (a bug that occurs when using proton).
*Edit And the bug is still there.
*Edit #2 This fixed it:
Code:
env WINEPREFIX="${HOME}/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/3900/pfx" WINEPATH="${HOME}/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Proton 5.13/dist/bin/wine64" winetricks d3dx9 corefonts msxml3 msxml4

Last edited:
Just finished Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun.
While it seemed a quality game; good graphics, very polished and good stealth mechanics, it's not really my kind of game.
Also, I think some of the later levels would have been impossible for me to complete without the aid of youtube walkthrough guides.
Still, it was a good story and for the most part more enjoyable than frustrating. ;)

"Ah saki, none can resist..."

Hades repeatedly sprang to my eyes ever since I watched KoS play it. I'm no hardcore difficulty nerd - rather casual type. It has an overwhelming positive rating which is noteworthy.
So I decided to finally look at it and think it is a very good rogue(lite). First 3 runs I was like: ridiculous - how is this fun, but a few more runs more was understood and not too long I took down the 1st boss.
It just takes me more time, but you get the tools to manage the difficulty and you can control the randomness a bit. The rich story background allows for a big number of side stuff and a decoration mechanic allows to sink time for collectors in.
Quality is great, music is good, core mechanics work well, but are a bit obscure.
I think this is one of the best roguelites I've played - many lack replayability or are front up just too hard. I found Noita good but it's too hard and random for casuals like me. There is a point when I get tired of challenge and just want some fun.

Merry Christmas to all ED space denizens!

Protip: Snowrunner currently off at 35% and going for $20 USD on Steam.

For all you ETS, ATS (and F22!) driving professionals who enjoy flirting with danger while driving on the road, this is your fix. Had a solid review here:

a great new player guide

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5t_GRhEPkw

Didn't realize how detailed and ultra realistic they made the Newtonian physics in this game. Which has been a foundational core of the game play since last year. Kudos to the devs managed to achieve such high replayability.

IMO this could be a feature ETS might want to consider as a future marketing strategy. Adding an optional/toggable and challenging driving game mode like this. Instead of transporting retail/wholesale goods, now you get to do Search and Rescue transporting abandoned/marooned vehicles in challenging environments.

Perhaps ETS could integrate some of these features as optional S&R side contracts which are high risk and even higher rewards under tight suspenses. IMO this would add an interesting dimension to how you could strategically build your trucking fleet. Especially where challenging environmental maps like Alaska/USSR etc. with seasonal environmental challenges are concerned. And this would add an interesting (albeit weakly anemic) survival RPG to the driving sim experience while transporting your load in the game
Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQZOvTHTd08
I can easily spend hours in this game and have wanted the same, having this sort of play in ETS or other sims. But, one thing I noticed is the maps and map size. To me, it seems as if the map looks like any other game map, but due to the rough terrain, the amount you actually travel is scaled way down. In ATS, in 15 minutes, I can travel 300 smooth highway miles or so. In Snowrunner, in 15 minutes, I can travel 2 super intense miles. :)

I haven't looked into it, but this suggests everything, vehicles, bridges, buildings etc, is actually scaled up, immensely. The reason could be so the ground deforms as smoothly as it does. I'd settle for non-deforming ground in ETS/ATS, but greater elevation changes and more of the closed off streets to be open, so you could have more routes per city.

Yeah. That's spot on. My analogy for the two franchise maps is the satisfying experience you get traversing Skyrim on foot (with or without the fog of war cloud coverage). Vs doing the same on a modern map the likes of GTA V. The GTAV map is leagues larger in size v. the Skyrim map.

Yet if your PC were to walk/jog his way from the southern tip of Los Santos to the northern end (sticking to roads only with no hostile NPC encounters) it seems to take far LESS time v. doing the same traveling in Skyrim.

And that's before you add natural barriers the likes of GTAV Mt. Chilliad (~ 1/3 the total map surface area & a complete waste of game world design space IMO) v. Skyrim's Throat of the World. Again if your PC in GTAV were to try climbing Chilliad (on foot without aid of any futuristic WMD aircraft, or that insanely annoying crotch rocket griefer broomstick), then they would easily be able to do so long before game sunset. But scaling Throat of the World on foot -- aka going the "easy" route via the pilgrimage of walking those 7,000 steps from Ivarstead -- your Dovahkin is lucky if he made the base of the summit before sunset.

The difference is the level of design detail the devs put into the game world for both games. Despite being smaller, antiquated map, Skyrim has an extensive amount of variation in terrain, biomes, environment and weather. So regardless whether they're on foot or horseback (or using mods that let your PC travel via carriage in real time) your PC spends a LOT of time being forced to move vertically (in case of hilly/mountainous terrain). And mostly circuitously everywhere due to navigating around deep lakes/rivers/artic ocean/other water bodies. And especially due to thick forest/tundra/artic/rainforest/swamp type biomes. When you factor in hostile flora/fauna and survivalist game mechanics (that give your PC a response to temperature changes in weather and environment), traveling anywhere in Skyrim ends up taking a LONG time.

So the whole point of this long winded analogy is that Snowrunner is the modern day version of RPing in Skyrim as an aspiring transportation entrepreneur who uses mechanical horsepower. And the travel mechanic in ETS is a lot more like GTAV, where terrain is relatively flat everywhere with exception of a landmark mountain. So yeah, ETS maps don't make for very challenging driving missions the way Snowrunner does IMO

Lately, I've been hearing good things about something called Everspace 2. "Everspace...Everspace...why does that sound familiar?" Then I realized I purchased the original two or so years ago and never played it more than two hours. [Honestly, I think that was because Elite was monopolizing my space gaming time.] Update 9 for Elite was sort of a dud for me, so I have time for other space games again. With that in mind, I decided to give the game a try again. I love it! This is one slick space game. Gorgeous, too!

YemEjEq.png

(As an aside, I love the damage effects on my ship. How long have we wanted this simple (and bog-standard for a space game) feature to be added to Elite? :unsure:)

I am mad that I never gave it more time as I am having a blast with it now. Seeing how Rockfish is taking the series into a more open world/RPG direction, I am excited!

Last edited:
Been playing ETS2.

Taking a heavy load through Italy.

Bombing down the road at 80. See flashing accident lights in the distance. No worries, i can make it past. Make note of which side of the road its on. No slowing down for me! Its an urgent delivery and i've already been delayed due to road works!

Coming through!

Except...

Lead pipes, fallen off the back of the truck onto the side of the road i was trying to pass on.

BRAKE!!!

LOL, with a heavy load? I got it down to 40-50 before the impact then a bit stuck, took some reversing shenanigans to get out.

The other side was the side it was possible to get past on, something i'd have understood if i had slowed down.

Truck now badly damaged, engine failure warning, plus took time to get out, quite sleepy.

Finally get to my destination, truck still running, pulling into the bay and... dozing.

Wake up, finish the job.

Result: Satisfactory.

Was on time, but client wasn't happy with the damage.

Lesson learned? LOL, no.

Been playing ETS2.

Taking a heavy load through Italy.

Bombing down the road at 80. See flashing accident lights in the distance. No worries, i can make it past. Make note of which side of the road its on. No slowing down for me! Its an urgent delivery and i've already been delayed due to road works!

Coming through!

Except...

Lead pipes, fallen off the back of the truck onto the side of the road i was trying to pass on.

BRAKE!!!

LOL, with a heavy load? I got it down to 40-50 before the impact then a bit stuck, took some reversing shenanigans to get out.

The other side was the side it was possible to get past on, something i'd have understood if i had slowed down.

Truck now badly damaged, engine failure warning, plus took time to get out, quite sleepy.

Finally get to my destination, truck still running, pulling into the bay and... dozing.

Wake up, finish the job.

Result: Satisfactory.

Was on time, but client wasn't happy with the damage.

Lesson learned? LOL, no.
Your truck has brakes? Is that an optional extra?

I got Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries (the full package including the dlcs) at the end of December.
It was discounted on Epic Store and i also took advantage of the coupon they're offering during holydays (think it is valid till January 6th)

Currently really enjoying it.

I got Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries (the full package including the dlcs) at the end of December.
It was discounted on Epic Store and i also took advantage of the coupon they're offering during holydays (think it is valid till January 6th)

Currently really enjoying it.
Epic stores issues over the Christmas period have pretty much put the nail in their coffin for me. I have no issues with having server problems. It happens. I'm never going to be happy that I can't play a single player offline game because the launcher won't launch.

I'll pick up their freebies and that'll be that. It's a shame as I'd like Hitman3. Hopefully that'll release soon on other platforms.

Top Bottom