What happened to proposed armor hardness and shield boosters stacking diminishing returns?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...oster-and-ship-armour-changes-feedback-thread

We had some really promising overhaul of the "Big 3", which would make them have weaker shields, but much tougher hulls, especially vs smaller ships. Realism, balance or call it whatever you want, but idea was pretty nice in general. It was also slightly buffing Corvette (huge weapons more effective vs large ships, Vette has 2) and nerfing Anaconda (had less tougher armor than other 2 bigs) at same time.

This update was due to release at 2.3 Live, but for some reason FDev decided not to release that at 2.3, argumenting that they needed more time to polish it out. Since then, 2.4 and 3.0 have been released, yet nothing to hear about that?

Can we expect some insight on that? Was idea abandoned completely, or it is still undergoing some testing/reworking?

I'm not sure I remember it right and I could be wrong but I think shieldstrenght got even increased a bit or something like that ^^

The long version: shield booster stacking was due to be changed, along with hull hardness upped for big ships and linking sensor grade to gimbal performance. As with most changes involving shields / anything gimbal related there was a backlash and the 'hot build' was deemed too hot. This led to shields being all powerful, but, Sandro has indicated there needs to be more shield countering weapons so we will hopefully see more of that in the next updates.

Last edited:
The long version: shield booster stacking was due to be changed, along with hull hardness upped for big ships and linking sensor grade to gimbal performance. As with most changes involving shields / anything gimbal related there was a backlash and the 'hot build' was deemed to hot. This led to shields being all powerful, but, Sandro has indicated there needs to be more shield countering weapons so we will hopefully see more of that in the next updates.

They could start by unnerfing phasing sequence lol

You say that, but weapons like the Cytoscrambler have had a major buff / un-nerf and they are nice shield busting weapons (especially with LR mods and funky experimentals).
I seen this. Looking forward to re-doing my cyto's... love those little rascally contraptions.

as long as plasmas have such a hgh piercing and we cannot get piercing as a secondary effect on smaller wepaons (esepcially lasers) ther eisn't much what the small ships cna ever do vs the big ones except using plasmas and rails. 35 piercing for a c2 lasers, yep thats how you don't do damage vs most other stuff. And ammo dependend weapons on very small ships withoput much ahrdpoints and a low total of ammo, isn't going to work well on a high resistance engineered ship.

Diminishing returns in its current implementation in Elite is based around resistance only, it needs to affect armor too (and shield strength). If you have 6 slots that you can use for HRPs (or shield boosters) you can reach diminishing returns with the first 4, then stack armor from that moment on.

Now that it is easy to max out a module, defense has gone even higher, so in that respect, the fact that you can now get 50% resistance to everything and max armor from every module has definitely made hull tanking a lot stronger. It's still vulnerable to various hard counters (proc on hull strike specials, particularly). Then there;s the problem that shield tanks don't need MRPs, and while hull tanking in Elite is far from dead, it's in desperate need of a complete overhaul, which will include looking at shield strength and boosters.

Basically, yes, diminishing returns need to be much harsher.

Tbh, there isn't much large ships can do to small ones either. Except maybe a really dedicated Cutter. Small ships can simply outrun and escape Corvette or Anaconda.

Because most of us arent interested in the Thargoids so long as they remain glorified signal sources

Yep! Thargoids should be killing explorers, traders etc indeed anyone, randomly....then we'd feel like this overarching menace just got real! As it is, currently...meh! Who cares when it is entirely optional.

Also, make it so that we don't have to get a new ship/load-out every time we take on players or Thargoids - whoever came up with that idea needs a swift knee to the dangly, soft (hopefully[blah]) bits. I killed a few Thargs back when they first appeared & haven't revisited the xeno gameplay since after the AX multis were added...'have no plans to, either.

Frontier's 'nicey-nicey, consent given for anything remotely bad, everyone wins a prize' challenge culture runs throughout the entire game including the ludicrous 'eat pizza & watch Netflix while CZing' god-shield laziness! Good job devs - 'can't wait to see what astounding, ongoing idiocy you have lined up next for our delectation!

Frontier adopted the sensible approach of beefing up NPC loadouts, giving them counters to the shield meta and the same sort of engineering goodies we get.

The lessons they learned was that if you nerf shields, all players will do is wake out earlier and come back again. It doesn't make the gameplay any different or varied, just more protracted and annoying.

Now AI flaws remain, and the ships aren't quite as powerful as max engineered player ones but compared to the less subtle and less flexible approach of nerfing it was the best solution

They were also sensible and made them optional content in the form of assassination wing missions. So if you want to know what happened. Try one in solo without exploiting the AI.

Last edited:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...oster-and-ship-armour-changes-feedback-thread

We had some really promising overhaul of the "Big 3", which would make them have weaker shields, but much tougher hulls, especially vs smaller ships. Realism, balance or call it whatever you want, but idea was pretty nice in general. It was also slightly buffing Corvette (huge weapons more effective vs large ships, Vette has 2) and nerfing Anaconda (had less tougher armor than other 2 bigs) at same time.

This update was due to release at 2.3 Live, but for some reason FDev decided not to release that at 2.3, argumenting that they needed more time to polish it out. Since then, 2.4 and 3.0 have been released, yet nothing to hear about that?

Can we expect some insight on that? Was idea abandoned completely, or it is still undergoing some testing/reworking?
Click

Tbh, there isn't much large ships can do to small ones either. Except maybe a really dedicated Cutter. Small ships can simply outrun and escape Corvette or Anaconda.

This actually really bothers me sometimes. I know there are really good pilots out there but lets be real, if you put some of these smaller ships ... say the FAS or hell even the FDL up against a corvette or an anaconda if either of the small ships has even a remotely good pilot the Vette/conda is screwed. Honestly i really wish there was some kind of trade off we could do to make turrets better on the bigger ships or something of that nature. For example. when i come up against an NPC Viper in my vette it takes me a bit to kill it simply because the thing is zooming ALL over the place (granted i used to fixed huges but the rest are gimbled) But still as i said earlier REALISTICALLY a ship like the vette should be able to put a pretty quick hurtin on a smaller ship of that nature .... Now swarm me with 5 or 6 smaller ships and you have a different story and im totally ok with that. But why should my nearly 1billion cred ship (fully a graded and such) have trouble with an AT MOST 500k fully A graded fly?

For the record i do not mean this to be a rant post or a "BUFF MY SHIP NAO!" post. Im really honestly baffled sometimes at the so called "balance" of some of these ships (conda conda conda) and what we could do address some of the issues.

Achilles7

Banned
OP? Frontier have been in touch & asked me to ask you kindly, if you wouldn't mind sweeping this back under the 'mountain-like' carpet & not mentioning it again! Thaaaaaaanks.

It's a shame that Frontier never pushed the shield booster diminishing returns live, I think it would have been good for the game. But the forums would have been full of salty posters wondering why they are no longer able to sit in CZs and endlessly squash NPCs.

Top Bottom