What happened to the FSS ?

Will Flanagan

Product Manager
Frontier
After this new Patch, my FSS is acting up badly.

• instead of maintaining the exact zoomed vector after zooming In & back out from an FSS scan, it "auto-centers' on next nearest Parent/Higher Gravity Well (?)
  • zooming in gives 1-2sec of severely discolored FSS display
Working a Gas Giant and its moons is currently rather disorienting. After zooming out, the FSS vector isn't where it's supposed to be but often somewhere else.
Same with a distant B, C, D Sun etc, the FSS almost permanently has to be manually re-positioned with upto 2 zooms back out in order to re-target the correct body :p

Am I alone with that weird issue ?

Hello FalconFly (and the other Commanders here reporting issues with the FSS),

We've flagged this up to the team and they're investigating what's caused this and a possible fix. As soon as we have more information, we'll update you!

For me at least, an apparent fix was to turn off FX Quality in the Graphics options.

Edit: something i've not been able to do and probably a better test would be if someone who currently has this problem on a particular body could disable the FX Quality and then try rescanning

Edit: This does not work. I must have just got lucky with the systems i was scanning, as i have just experienced the same bug again. oh well. :(

Last edited:

Deleted member 38366

D
Hello FalconFly (and the other Commanders here reporting issues with the FSS),

We've flagged this up to the team and they're investigating what's caused this and a possible fix. As soon as we have more information, we'll update you!

Thanks Will, greatly appreciated :)

Thanks Will Flannagan, a post I was looking for, communication saves piles of salt...
In the meantime I've found that if you can get closer the the bodies that are messing with the scanner (thus separating them) it's possible to resolve them... just like the old days!

You can always choose to not update if your game is not online.
Yes you are correct. You also miss out on any new content and bug fixes too. The main point being an online mmo is always going to be changing.
Please be quick, as this can be considered "game-breaking" for players like myself who greatly enjoy and depend on using the FSS "minigame".
"Game breaking"?
Can you use the FSS? Yes.
Is there a bug which sometimes causes an annoyance while using the FSS? Yes.
But can you still use the FSS? Yes
Then the game isn't broken. Annoying bug, absolutely, but you can still complete the task at hand.

Last edited:
Yes you are correct. You also miss out on any new content and bug fixes too. The main point being an online mmo is always going to be changing.

"Game breaking"?
Then the game isn't broken. Annoying bug, absolutely, but you can still complete the task at hand.
Really?
Are you annoyed or what?

At the knee-jerk reactions to use the term "game breaking" without understanding what it actually means? Yes :)
Old Duck did mention that "for players like myself who greatly enjoy and depend on using the FSS "minigame" if you're not one of those players he alluded to then it shouldn't concern you how he feels.

Old Duck did mention that "for players like myself who greatly enjoy and depend on using the FSS "minigame" if you're not one of those players he alluded to then it shouldn't concern you how he feels.
Currently the only activity I've ever taken part in is exploration, I use the FSS constantly. Is the bug annoying? Yes. But is it "game breaking"? Absolutely not. I'm still exploring and using the FSS successfully.

I think he might have been being sarcastic tbh.
Yeah, I know... but it's funny though!
Thinking about it... it would be an ideal time for you to fire up the explorer again and take advantage of the FSS not working properly, I've been driving out to the planets I couldn't do with the FSS and enjoying some good old fashioned Exploring again.

"Game breaking"?
In some cases the FSS is impossible to use as I found out last night. Is it game-breaking, well that depends on what you want to do in the game. As I am exploring, not being able to scan the system is making life difficult for me.

The FSS screen breaks down in two cases: 1. If the nose of the ship is directed strictly at the object. 2. If the object is more than 100,000 light seconds away

PS: If overclocking CPU / videocard may affect screen breaking too.

Last edited:
Wouldnt it be terrible if the thing was fundamentally flawed in some way that would be impossible to fix? Or perhaps will need months of work? If only there was some other way to explore....

Currently the only activity I've ever taken part in is exploration, I use the FSS constantly. Is the bug annoying? Yes. But is it "game breaking"? Absolutely not. I'm still exploring and using the FSS successfully.
If you are trying to scan a system more than 100k LS out, then it is "game breaking" because the FSS will not function properly. Given the intent of the FSS, expecting players to travel closer to a star over 400k LS from the primary star in order to scan bodies orbiting it is not reasonable, but the FSS will not work otherwise.

Wouldnt it be terrible if the thing was fundamentally flawed in some way that would be impossible to fix? Or perhaps will need months of work? If only there was some other way to explore....
Yes that would be terrible. Hopefully they will never revert back to the abomination of what was considered discovery mechanics before the FSS.

Top Bottom