What happens with ED in far future

Howdy, I'm just curious what happens with ED in far future i.e 5 or even 10 years from now. Do you (FD) plan release game for offline play or self hosted server? To be hones... your servers will not stand online forever so what happens when you switch them off? Game will be killed / Game over? :unsure:

Howdy, I'm just curious what happens with ED in far future i.e 5 or even 10 years from now. Do you (FD) plan release game for offline play or self hosted server? To be hones... your servers will not stand online forever so what happens when you switch them off? Game will be killed / Game over? :unsure:
10 years from now people will be trying to extrapolate sure signs of space legs out of irrelevant references while comparing them to Braben kickstarter videos.

Guest193293

G
During the 2016 Elite Dangerous 24 Hour Charity Livestream! David Braben confirmed a 10 year development plan and he hopes it'll be a lot longer than that. "Looking back at those (developer videos), you can see what we've done, were executing on the plan. There's still a lot of things that are to come and those are very exciting. We do have a long plan. It would take us a long time to deliver all the things that we want to do. The great thing is the more things get added to the end of it. So it may well be never ending. I've said sort of 8 years, 10 years, but actually it could end up and I'm hoping it'll be a lot longer than that. The key point is we'll keep doing exciting things and we'll work out how best to do that."

[IRONIC MODE]
In few years FD will end, without Atmospheric Worlds nor Space Legs, but a very accurate power play instead. Even the time you spend at the toilet will affect your favourite faction economy status.
Then for 20 years there will be nothing.
In 2040 David will start another Kick Starter Campaing to make Elite: Tycoon
The game will have a lot of complex political and economical twisted plots.
You will only be able to fly ships inside the stations. There will be eventually an expansion that will allow you to fly the ship also outside in normal flight mode. Everyone will be hyped by the possibility to see how a station looks like from the outside. The expansion will be rushed a bit so there will be server disconnects when leaving the stations and clipping issues for the first 6 months.
You will be able to fight and gank other players by firing weapons from your landing pad.
The forum will be filled with speculating post about flying in deep space and the possibility to see planets from the distance.
Another part of the community instead will be hyped by the possibility to turn the head around and look inside the cockpit.
[/IRONIC MODE]

Last edited:
You said far future. I was all ready to say people stop playing Elite, and stop doing a few other things when Earth is abandoned, apart from a few deep crust research stations, when it is enveloped, and possibly consumed as the Sun enters its red giant phase in four billion years time.

But five or ten? Probably still being played by a core set of fans. I still regularly play LOTRO for example, now on its twelfth year (been playing for (eleven).

Pretty sure he didn't say that. Otherwise it wouldn't make much sense to market it as MMO.
He probably said he doesn't want it to be a 'traditional' MMO.
Um... He actually said it, in 2012: “This isn’t an MMO. You’ll be able to load and save your position, and you’ll be able to choose who you play with. It’s a very different thing, and it’s got more common with the way people tend to play things like Call of Duty." 😂

Um... He actually said it, in 2012: “This isn’t an MMO. You’ll be able to load and save your position, and you’ll be able to choose who you play with. It’s a very different thing, and it’s got more common with the way people tend to play things like Call of Duty." 😂
Did you read the whole paragraph?

Braben is quick to stress that said multiplayer – while existing in a free galaxy – won’t be following an MMO format like EvE Online, “This isn’t an MMO. You’ll be able to load and save your position, and you’ll be able to choose who you play with. It’s a very different thing, and it’s got more common with the way people tend to play things like Call of Duty.

“In other words you’ll be able to save your position and not have to worry about it in the meantime, and that’s the sort of thing I want to be able to do. I don’t want to be really annoyed that I go away and come back to find some load of teenagers have trashed my position.

You are right that he said 'this isn't a MMO'. But to me it sounds more like 'this isn't an Eve like MMO'. It's probably just my interpretation though.

Did you read the whole paragraph?

You are right that he said 'this isn't a MMO'. But to me it sounds more like 'this isn't an Eve like MMO'. It's probably just my interpretation though.
Yes, I've read the whole article. It's your interpretation, he didn't say anything about EvE, that's the journalist's interpretation. What was he trying to say is that the existence of 3 different modes (solo, PG and open) doesn't qualify ED as an MMO.

Later he says: "We had this idea of groups. You could have a group which is just your friends, and it doesn’t have to be huge numbers of players. That means the only real players you’d meet in the game would be your friends within the group."

Because it doesn't have to be huge number of players, he says that ED isn't an MMO.

So... Here's what'll happen.*

In about four or five year's time Hello Games will have so greatly outpaced Frontier's development speed that they will have turned No Man's Sky into a better version of Elite Dangerous and we'll all be playing that instead.
(Sean Murray has stated previously that he's a big fan of Elite and there are already lots of little nods in NMS - the four second pulse drive countdown, the ranks of the NPC pirates, Elite, Deadly, etc,)

* Disclaimer: May not actually happen.

So... Here's what'll happen.*

In about four or five year's time Hello Games will have so greatly outpaced Frontier's development speed that they will have turned No Man's Sky into a better version of Elite Dangerous and we'll all be playing that instead.
(Sean Murray has stated previously that he's a big fan of Elite and there are already lots of little nods in NMS - the four second pulse drive countdown, the ranks of the NPC pirates, Elite, Deadly, etc,)

* Disclaimer: May not actually happen.

I'm not saying NMS is not good... IT IS good, but it's not my genre...
My main scope is to fly and control a ship in space and on planets. The environment needs to give me reason to go around and doing stuff.
NMS there's no piloting... Every single activity in the ship is a time sink and loading screen. Flight Model is too much arcady, it's like driving cars in Out Run. The game is all about collecting and farming.
I'm curious to see what they will deliver for VR but I guess I won't stick a lot around it until they develop a proper flight model.

As far as the far future is concerned, during the whole 'Offline Gate' thing, we had reassurances that if the game is ever 'Sunset' (Lord, do I HATE that Term), Frontier will release the code to allow the game to be played either offline or even allow players to set up their own server for themselves and friends. I don't know if that's possible with the state of the BGS at the moment but I hope they'll be able to keep that promise.

Personally, I'm hoping that the 2020 update turns out to be the Elite equivalent of No-Man-Sky. The walking around planets, stations and base building is a lot more immersive in NMS than I was expecting and has really improved since release.

I probably would spend more time in NMS but there are a few major issues I have with it ; -
  1. Space Flight / Space combat is nowhere near as good as Elite's.
  2. The planets, solar systems and galaxies of NMS don't feel as real or immersive as Elite's.
  3. I much prefer what's in Elite's BGS to the NMS Equivalent.
  4. Being able to play in third person perspective (ie, over the shoulder cam). I hated this in Freelancer and it makes any game feel too 'arcade'y regardless of the flight model (The third person mode in Elite's Gunner mode in multi-crew in acceptable, mostly because I played a gunner in X-wing Alliance and Black Prophecy and it was awful).
As I don't see NMS resolving those issues, I'm hoping that we'll get the equivalent in Elite.

My main scope is to fly and control a ship in space and on planets. The environment needs to give me reason to go around and doing stuff.
NMS there's no piloting... Every single activity in the ship is a time sink and loading screen. Flight Model is too much arcady, it's like driving cars in Out Run. The game is all about collecting and farming.
I'm curious to see what they will deliver for VR but I guess I won't stick a lot around it until they develop a proper flight model.
This ^

Ship variety doesn’t feel unique.
Getting a new ship in no NMS involves standing in the same spot for an hour waiting for a good one to land.
Getting a new multi-tool means destroying the old one along with all its mods.
The planets are diverse.....in the first system, then they’re all the same.
Finding the last Fauna makes me want to break something.

I enjoyed it for about a month then shelved it. It’s fun at the very start and I do like the survival element, but once you have a half decent ship it just gets old...

I maybe should have made the humorous intent clearer in my post. I was mostly poking fun. :)

... having said that NMS does have this big 3-part update due and they haven't revealed the third part yet. A large section of the community are speculating they're could re-work the "Space" part of the game which is the only bit that hasn't been really touched since launch. That could conceivably include the flight model. Even if it doesn't, given HG's performance on updates, I doubt they would need until late 2020 to change it if they wanted. (I doubt they ever will though, I think they've said they want it to be simple and arcadey rather than complex and sim-style like ED)

Even with a better flight model I couldn't play it because of the graphics. I just don't like the cartoonish look, even if it's well done.

Top Bottom