General / Off-Topic What is a Forum Troll?

First of all, I am not targeting anybody, but I feel the tone in some of these posts is deteriorating and we all, me included, should perhaps step back and think sometimes before posting. Please feel free to add your constructive thoughts.
(I am not the original author of this material; the sources are listed at the bottom.)

Definition:

An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" is a person who posts messages to bait people to answer. Trolls often delight in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war.

A classic troll tries to make us believe that he is a skeptic. He is divisive and argumentative with need-to-be-right attitude, "searching for the truth", flaming discussion, and sometimes insulting people or provoking people to insult him. A troll is usually an expert in reusing the same words of its opponents and in turning it against them.

While he tries to present himself as a skeptic looking for truth, his messages usually sound as if it is the responsibility of other forum members to provide evidence that what forum is all about is legitimate.

Often he tries to start arguments and upset people.

Sometimes, he is skeptical, trying to scare people, trying to plant fear in their hearts. Sometimes, Internet troll is trying to spin conflicting information, is questioning in an insincere manner, flaming discussion, insulting people, turning people against each other, harassing forum members, ignoring warnings from forum moderators.

Trolling is a form of harassment that can take over a discussion. Well meaning defenders can create chaos by responding to trolls. The best response is to ignore it, or to report a message to a forum moderator. Ubuntuforums moderators usually move troll messages to the jail and may even ban trolls after a few unheeded warnings. Negative emotions stirred up by trolls leak over into other discussions. Normally affable people can become bitter after reading an angry interchange between a troll and his victims, and this can poison previously friendly interactions between long-time users.

Trolls may create a paranoid environment, such that a casual criticism by a new arrival can elicit a ferocious and inappropriate backlash.

When trolls are completely ignored they sometimes step up their attacks, desperately seeking the attention they crave. Their messages become more and more foul, and they post ever more of them. Alternatively, they may protest that their right to free speech is being curtailed. Perhaps the most difficult challenge for a moderator is deciding whether to take steps against a troll that a few people find entertaining. Some trolls do have a creative spark and have chosen to squander it on being disruptive. There is a certain perverse pleasure in watching some of them. Ultimately, though, we have to decide if the troll actually cares about putting on a good show for the regular participants, or is simply playing to an audience of one -- himself. For this reason the staff here often intervene, either with a warning in a thread, jailing one or more posts, sending private messages to offenders, and even banning people--temporarily or permanently--from these forums.

The best way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction and not to respond to trolling messages (however hard that may be when you feel you need to defend your argument). It is well known that most people don't read messages that nobody responds to, while 99% of forum visitors first read the longest and the largest threads with the most answers.

These links go into greater detail about this topic:

http://themartialist.com/pecom/fieldguidetotrolls.htm
http://curezone.com/forums/troll.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

No! U suck!!!

Kidding of course. It's not easy to differentiate trolls from users with legit complaints. Are people incessantly asking "Steam key?" Trolls?

I think trolling is a problem, but it can be difficult to tell who is asking an innocent question or raising a point they feel needs raising for honest discussion and someone who is just poking to get a reaction.

I know because I took a long break because whilst I consider myself to be the former, I'd been accused on a few occasions and even had a warning from the mods on being the latter.

So as someone who's often seen as being a troll I can assure you, my motivation never has been to troll.

One thing I took from my break was to really not get involved in serious discussions or even to raise them. Hence my posts these days are either informative (like my First Great Solo thread) or humourous (like me OBAFGKM vs KGB FOAM thread).

it can be difficult to tell who is asking an innocent question

It's not too hard to tell who's JAQing off ("JAQ" = "Just Asking Questions...") and who's serious. You can disengage by asking "why are you asking this question?" If you get back a bunch of rhetoric you can tell they're not sincere.

I think trolling is a problem, but it can be difficult to tell who is asking an innocent question or raising a point they feel needs raising for honest discussion and someone who is just poking to get a reaction.

I know because I took a long break because whilst I consider myself to be the former, I'd been accused on a few occasions and even had a warning from the mods on being the latter.

So as someone who's often seen as being a troll I can assure you, my motivation never has been to troll.

One thing I took from my break was to really not get involved in serious discussions or even to raise them. Hence my posts these days are either informative (like my First Great Solo thread) or humourous (like me OBAFGKM vs KGB FOAM thread).

lol

I remember you got suckered into passionate debate far beyond the realms of sense at one point. I'd claim you were trolled seriously hard, as creating crusaders against them is part of trolling. It's what they live for, to push regular dudes who might think or believe something into a froth. Then, lols occur for them. A bit sociopathic really.

There's a point in any discussion but very especially on the net, when it's just time to drop it regardless of whether you feel you've been heard or understood, and it can sometimes be tough to see that point; especially if you feel you've been speaking in good faith in a real discussion.

Preview.jpg
must have 8 characters

I had to look it up on Wikipedia too, I was also unfamiliar with all sorts of other terminology - "nerf" included. I am in the US at present and on a visit to Fry's walked past a "nerf" toy. Sort of made sense.

Elite didn't have forums back in the '80's. I guess I am starting to feel just a little but old.

I had to look it up on Wikipedia too, I was also unfamiliar with all sorts of other terminology - "nerf" included. I am in the US at present and on a visit to Fry's walked past a "nerf" toy. Sort of made sense.

Elite didn't have forums back in the '80's. I guess I am starting to feel just a little but old.

WhatDoYouLiveUnderARock-300x200.png

...sorry couldn't resist.

You do realize this is the unfiltered Internet, right ?

Everything should be taken with half a truck load of salt, right ?

For every troll there is white knight willing to feed him, right.

Unfortunately we have a large portion of this community who seem to know very little about the Internet and take everything that is said as a personal attack, and many here are so tanked on nostalgia that even mentioning anything you dislike about the game is basically trolling.

Your also a troll if you don't call people sir on this forum.

To be honest though, the star citizen forums are far worse, but only because their community is x200 bigger than this one.

Trolls only exist with people to feed on, just like any other parasitic form of life.

jcrg99

Banned
I am flamed by your rethoric OP... So... by your logic and these definitions... you are a troll.

Last edited:
Top Bottom