What is fun to *you* in ED?

Greetings Commanders:

I've been slowly dipping my toes into ED the last month. So far, I've had a blast just learning to fly the dang ship.

I'm thinking of branching out now to other systems, perhaps picking a galactic power to align with and see where that takes me.

As such, I'm curious what you all consider fun in ED.

I feel like there are multiple layers of nuance to this game, and would love to hear what the "little things" are that make the big picture that is ED fun for you.

Thanks,

CMDR Adam

many many things.

- to fly to real galaxy stars ... la superba, betlgeuze, rho cassiopeia

- to help a minor faction to expand to other systems, get in control of stations and systems. even more fun if done as part of a group

- to get behind certain "rules", for exampel the effect of economic states on commodities prices

- flying fast ships. need for speed!

- building a ship

- doing the right job with the wrong tool, for exampel taking a trader into a combat zones

etc. pp.

* Exploration. I really like this, particularly with long range passengers.

* Sightseeing missions. Combines smuggling with exploration and adds some risk.

* Smuggling missions

* Doing trade MISSIONS (not commodity trading)

* Interdicting NPCs in attack missions

* Mining (why? I have no idea. I find it satisfying.)

* Doing various missions to rank up (i.e. "grinding") - yes I actually enjoy this for bizarre reasons, I feel it's fun to watch my character progress in rank and get richer - surface scans, data courier runs etc.

* Hazardous RES when I'm carrying cargo and have to defend myself

* Engineering ships. I like gathering the materials/data, I like the excitement of doing a "roll" for a good result, and building an uber-ship. It was fun to finally get a courier hitting over 800; an anaconda that was a fearsome death machine etc.

What I DON'T really like thus far:
* Regular commodity trading A-B-A-B etc. This makes me want to peel my skin off for some reason, soooo boring and painful. Maybe if the trade system were faster and more organized.

* Combat zones. I just find it boring - I spend most of my time chasing some tiny little ship around before it finally dies or I run out of ammo. I groan when I see a viper mk3 or a courier and look for the bigger ship simply because it can't really run from me. But then again I'm a big-ship guy, maybe when I get around to engineering my vulture I'll like it.

* "Kill the pirate king" missions - I hate waiting for a time window

* Being a griefer. Yes, I said it - I've done that a little bit, it was BORING and felt pointless. Maybe I'll try being an actual pirate instead of a murderer, and enjoy that.

Last edited:
I like:
-Landing on outposts 'cause the visual thrill
-Engineering
-Outfitting ships
-Deep space exploring
-Mining

What I don't like:
-CZ combat (boooooring), Haz Res is much better
-Driving SRV
-Missions in general (I only do them for the credits)

Last edited:
Great Question!
I'm not certain I can give a great answer though.
I play a self Ironman mode, reseting save on commander death. I then start a new commander, each commander has a story that develops as they progress. This storytelling is a big part of the fun for me, with each having different drives and wants, make different choices and follow different paths. So different commanders will do different things, one when to Jaques for instance.
So it's the story as it develops that's important to me, it gives life to the game.

I play in vr and for me its all about the experience of life of spaceman in his ship. I don't do the political stuff (PP) and don't do PvP but do a bit of everything else. My elite ranks are pretty much balanced.

Love the pew pew and stick ou audio SciFi book and can trade or explore for hrs.

And this is despite much of it being v bare bones imo

Seeing as I can't land on planets (or be around their atmosphere), and thus cannot engineer my ships, fully explore, thargoids, etc. Probably interacting with other players, or learning combat in my FDL. (Only learned of thruster maneuvers after gaining expert. *shame*). Although upgrading my ships is a thrill :)

I enjoy bouncing between all my ships, from tiny to huge, doing whatever it is I feel like doing at that moment. I recently got VR myself, so I'm off enjoying all this stuff all over again The Way It Was Meant To Be. :)

I'm also like a little kid when it comes to flying spaceships, so that helps enormously.

Great Question!
I'm not certain I can give a great answer though.
I play a self Ironman mode, reseting save on commander death. I then start a new commander, each commander has a story that develops as they progress. This storytelling is a big part of the fun for me, with each having different drives and wants, make different choices and follow different paths. So different commanders will do different things, one when to Jaques for instance.
So it's the story as it develops that's important to me, it gives life to the game.

Wow, what a great and fun idea!

That reminds me of a Frontier: First Encounters fan site ran by Jades, but much more detailed.

Do you write out the stories or do you use it as an RP focus when you play?

I'm into the politics.
[video=youtube_share;oqZOfbCHTCA]https://youtu.be/oqZOfbCHTCA[/video]

apologies for
mu pronunciation of Mahon.

Last edited:
Wow, what a great and fun idea!

That reminds me of a Frontier: First Encounters fan site ran by Jades, but much more detailed.

Do you write out the stories or do you use it as an RP focus when you play?
Sorry but the stories only exists in my head.
Though CMDR Saunders Billy escaped into a thread and started posting updates on his progress, until his death.

Last edited:
What a horrible thing to ask!

There are too many thing in Elite I find fun, some times that's blowing things up, some times that's delivering goods, or flying passengers around or..

giphy.gif

Squirrel!

Last edited:
Generally anything thats involving enough to make me forget about real life for an hour or several.

Most of the fun things I find are the non-profitable ones.

Rescuing stranded people with the Fuel Rats:
[video=youtube;XZj3mbZVnNI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZj3mbZVnNI[/video]
[video=youtube;fRPusA7f4LM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRPusA7f4LM[/video]
Racing with Buckyball or the Elite Racers:
[video=youtube;FIm3dfDH7Bs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIm3dfDH7Bs[/video]
[video=youtube;ouaCqM2kE7E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouaCqM2kE7E[/video]
Sidewinder sports day with the hammers of slough group
[video=youtube;OBq1sDC2IBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBq1sDC2IBE&t=1s[/video]

But between those I can spend a few hours just living in the world playing how I would play if I was really in it. Some days it's rough in real life so I chill exploring or mining or driving on a planet material hunting and zen out. Other days i'm up for the challenge and dive into combat or trading or community goals. Whatever works really.

I also really enjoy helping new players and seeing them learn how the game works, quite rewarding if they stick with it and see how your advice improves their skills and knowledge.

Greetings Commanders:

I've been slowly dipping my toes into ED the last month. So far, I've had a blast just learning to fly the dang ship.

I'm thinking of branching out now to other systems, perhaps picking a galactic power to align with and see where that takes me.

I feel like there are multiple layers of nuance to this game, and would love to hear what the "little things" are that make the big picture that is ED fun for you.

Thanks,

CMDR Adam

I like finding unique purposes for particular ships and developing the best loadout I can, then using them.

Really enjoying the responses so far!

Giving me great ideas of where to go.

One concept that is only beginning to dawn on me as being fun is the sense of scale this game projects. At first I was a little put off by travel times.

But after reading the harrowing thread regarding the rescue of CMDR Macedonica, I'm beginning to get a sense of the importance that scale has on the immersion factor.

Speaking of immersion, I really (really really) want to try out VR. That looks amazing.

Greetings Commanders:

Thanks,

CMDR Adam

I just made rank with the Empire and bought a courier. I then transported my ieagle with enhanced performance thrusters to me so I could swap them over.

I bought the thrusters from Felicity, who I really quite like, and only found out about (hanging modifier refers to thrusters) last week!

Now I am literally overloading my courier with heavy stuff so that when I eventually lighten it, it will be insane.

Fun: stuff

Really enjoying the responses so far!

Giving me great ideas of where to go.

One concept that is only beginning to dawn on me as being fun is the sense of scale this game projects. At first I was a little put off by travel times.

But after reading the harrowing thread regarding the rescue of CMDR Macedonica, I'm beginning to get a sense of the importance that scale has on the immersion factor.

Speaking of immersion, I really (really really) want to try out VR. That looks amazing.

Are you UK or US based by any chance?

Both UK and US have conventions that you can attend and try VR in Elite first hand on a persons pc. I did it at Lavecon (Northampton UK) in 2016 trying both the Vive and Rift. Now in 2017 will be there with my own pc and VR rig for anyone that wants to join/test/tryout.

Highly advise lavecon btw even if you just drop by for one of the days (overnight stay can be expensive but a bronze day pass is dirt cheap really). Depends on where you are situated though as to how accessible it is.

Top Bottom