What is fun to *you* in ED?

Generally anything thats involving enough to make me forget about real life for an hour or several.
Absolutely! Me, I prefer playing space trader. I find commodities trading fun and relaxing. . . The result is that spend a lot of my time chasing the best paying, legitimate (no exploits), commodities trade.

Greetings Commanders:

I've been slowly dipping my toes into ED the last month. So far, I've had a blast just learning to fly the dang ship.

I'm thinking of branching out now to other systems, perhaps picking a galactic power to align with and see where that takes me.

As such, I'm curious what you all consider fun in ED.

I feel like there are multiple layers of nuance to this game, and would love to hear what the "little things" are that make the big picture that is ED fun for you.

Thanks,

CMDR Adam

Used to be mining, I'd go and mine for hours and hours and love it. however I've not played for over 2 months now, keep waiting for anything fun to be added for me, like new mining stuff or planetary mining but alas no. so I'll just keep waiting. 2.3 has nothing for me, so I'll wait for 2.4 or the next "season".

I like doing silly things. Like kitting a Beluga for combat with turrets. Everyone will tell you turrets suck, everyone will tell you that the Beluga is a horrible ship for combat... everyone, as usual, is wrong. :D

I think Dread settled it once and all for me; people can say what they want, but if turrets are modified and used correctly they're actually OP. Personally, I would never use them because they run contrary to how I want my flying and fighting to "feel" but there's no question as to how effective they can be.

Are you UK or US based by any chance?

Both UK and US have conventions that you can attend and try VR in Elite first hand on a persons pc. I did it at Lavecon (Northampton UK) in 2016 trying both the Vive and Rift. Now in 2017 will be there with my own pc and VR rig for anyone that wants to join/test/tryout.

Highly advise lavecon btw even if you just drop by for one of the days (overnight stay can be expensive but a bronze day pass is dirt cheap really). Depends on where you are situated though as to how accessible it is.

Thanks for the heads up! That sounds like a lot of fun.

I live in Southern California, so hopefully they'll have a few things around here.

There are dozens of things i find fun in this new game of Elite, too many to mention or put in order.

However: I think I speak for the majority of the players and have to confess that which I have not seen so far in this thread. Fun is the knowledge of because of my actions, skill or whatever; I get to watch ships blowing apart, in glorious mega-pixels technicolor.

I've done (or am doing) just about everything ED has to offer. My current fav thing is 100% FA Off piloting

Well I have to go with this fine thought; minus the FA Off piloting.
I pretty much like everything. When one activity starts to feel "grindy" I just switch to something else - never bored.

Well I have to go with this fine thought; minus the FA Off piloting.
I pretty much like everything. When one activity starts to feel "grindy" I just switch to something else - never bored.

That's been my approach to ED all along; just do it all. I have my favorite activities of course, but I'm really just a jack of all trades. I highly recommend the FA Off one of these days when you're ready for a new project. It's really transformed the game for me.

Missions and Smuggling. I've done everything though and revisit all of it over time. I don't think I'll ever enjoy driving the SRV though. Perhaps when variants come out with different handling or purposes. We'll see.

Last edited:
That's been my approach to ED all along; just do it all. I have my favorite activities of course, but I'm really just a jack of all trades. I highly recommend the FA Off one of these days when you're ready for a new project. It's really transformed the game for me.

Sounds like me too. I'm here to play Pretend Spaceman, which provides a pretty wide range of stuff to consider.

I've recently gotten into the BGS combined with grouping and faction politics, and more pure combat flying with a nicely-tuned Vulture. Previous to this I had a long stretch of Han Soloing around smuggling weapons and narcotics, and I always like running the dangerous CGs when possible. I was just settling down in the Crom area after getting the permit with the Silver Boys to run their Fesh derivative when I fell into a group situation, which has really started a new spaceman gaming era for me as I have something to work with and for, though aimless drifting is still fun (except in combat from massive damage, I liked that a lot less >___> ).

I started with Engineers around Christmas time or so, and that's been surprisingly fun for me, and also gotten me to enjoy the zen of mining after never touching it once since the start of the game. This game certainly requires much more addition but I find for myself there are plenty of things currently available to make a fun and long-lasting spaceman experience.

I can honestly say there's nothing I don't enjoy, at this stage. I haven't done much mining, but this week I plan to rig a Python as a dedicated mining ship and I think i'll enjoy that, too.

I've put about 600 VR hours in since getting VR in September and I still like to simply hang out in space, sometimes, jumping around and doing little things here and there. Landing here and there, killing this, shooting that, pirate this, explore that.

I'm not a 'grind' player, though... I wont repeat the same task over and over to achieve <goal> in game.

Last edited:
For me the last year has been doing the engineers, and fixing my ship just the way I want it. Engineers get a lot of hate but I had a lot of fun cause they take you through everything you can do in elite so dont dismiss them!

I like everything except exploring, I got lonely and suicided half way to Colonia!

I don't grind or take advantage of exploits, so progress is slow but gives me immense satisfaction when I achieve a goal (Cobra is almost A rated throughout, woot!). At my current rate I reckon I should be buying my first 'Conda in about two years...:D

I like the feeling of `realism`, yea I know it`s set in the future, but it`s more real than any sci-fi i`ve played. The space stations docking procedeures, I love doing manually while watching others take off and land while tower talks me in. The whole feel of a huge (and somewhat remote) black space really hits the spot. I like to ponder on the Universe and how it all came to be while flying, etc, this game lets you. People complain it`s boring, or it takes too long, but for me, this is pretty much how far future space exploration could be. People say Jumping from one system to another takes too long- I think it`s just right.

I like the whole dynamic missions boards objectives, etc, the excellent speech and sound effects (what there is, there should be more).

Exploring on planets in my buggy is quite a laugh. And the whole freedom sandbox to `choose your destiny` thing has always grabbed me.

Last edited:
I can tell you what I dislike.

Bulk trading.
Passenger missions.
PVP.

Everything else is enjoyable.
I am playing Nier Automata now, so I'll return for 2.3

For me the last year has been doing the engineers, and fixing my ship just the way I want it. Engineers get a lot of hate but I had a lot of fun cause they take you through everything you can do in elite so dont dismiss them!

Engineers is one thing I really want to do but just never seem to find the time.
Too much other stuff always happening!

Pretty much everything. I especially love doing missions & passenger contracts. Trying my luck in CZ's & RES's are a hoot too.

I am also extremely surprised at how much I am enjoying Multi Crew in the Beta.....though only in small doses.

- - - Updated - - -

I can honestly say there's nothing I don't enjoy, at this stage. I haven't done much mining, but this week I plan to rig a Python as a dedicated mining ship and I think i'll enjoy that, too.

I've put about 600 VR hours in since getting VR in September and I still like to simply hang out in space, sometimes, jumping around and doing little things here and there. Landing here and there, killing this, shooting that, pirate this, explore that.

I'm not a 'grind' player, though... I wont repeat the same task over and over to achieve <goal> in game.

Oddly enough, I avoided mining for ages-until Selene wanted her 500 tons....but now I find it extremely fun & relaxing. Nice diversion from missions & bounty hunting.

- - - Updated - - -

Smuggling

Power ply nd the bckground sim cross over

Tea in suprcruise or whiel using the docking computer

There needs to be a lot more Power-Play/BGS cross over. If helping a faction directly helped a Power, that would get me back into Power Play-especially if those missions earned merits with my Pledged Power.

Pretty much everything. I especially love doing missions & passenger contracts. Trying my luck in CZ's & RES's are a hoot too.

I am also extremely surprised at how much I am enjoying Multi Crew in the Beta.....though only in small doses.

- - - Updated - - -

Oddly enough, I avoided mining for ages-until Selene wanted her 500 tons....but now I find it extremely fun & relaxing. Nice diversion from missions & bounty hunting.

This is the very reason I've started thinking about building a mining python :)

Top Bottom