What is the biggest funkiller for you?

The performance is the biggest killer for me. I'd been playing Horizons at Ultra 1080p at 100+ fps for years, and going from that to having to set a 30fps cap because i couldn't stand the constant fluctuations between 30 and 70 has been a massive source of frustration. Not to mention the bugs cropping up all the time.

But even when I put aside technical issues, Odyssey missions are pointless since they only exist to provide mats to upgrade your suits, but you only need to upgrade your suits to do Odyssey missions. And there's no point doing Odyssey missions for credits since ship missions pay out FAR more. So there's no point doing Odyssey missions at all.

Don't get me started on having to qualify for an engineer to be able to make a slightly bigger backpack.

The disrespect from the devs. Releasing ARX only for it to break the game, rather than fixing long standing issues. The netcode performance growing worse and worse as the years go by, killing the fun of pvp. Terrible balancing issues that are rarely addressed, and when they are, done so poorly that they often make things far worse (drag munitions, anyone?). The fact that things like:
-opening the chat window after dying to restore fps,
-knowing you have to task kill in order to finish quitting the game when servers go down for maintenance,
-that SLF lag was not addressed for years,
-that we just know and accept that chevrons have a 50/50 chance of appearing on a targeted pvp enemy,
-that simple things like the Viper III's landing gear clipping into the cockpit, etc.

have never been addressed since release, and are so much the status quo that we think of them as normal, everyday things. This is disgraceful. It shows a lack of care for the game, and a lack of respect for the player base. The Odyssey release seems to have been a last straw for many, but honestly I'm sure FDev is surprised at the response, because it's par for their course. It's just that so many were willing to say, "ok, things aren't great, but their best minds are working on Odyssey, so we'll cut them slack until then." Well, now that time has come, and there's been no effort to do better.

That's what killed the fun for me after FAR too many hours of gameplay. There's so much to love in this game, but its incompetent or apathetic developer (and I blame management here, I'm sure they have many talented people on their team but decisions to release things as they are rest on the bigwigs' shoulders) has turned me off of playing it entirely.

Engineers 100% #1.

Might not have been too much an issue for me had they been a means to fairly modify stats to accommodate desired play styles, but their purely upgrade-centric theme is simply not compatible with pvp-inclusive sandbox gameplay. It never was, never could have been, and never should have been considered. Seeing them repeat this obvious blunder once again is game over. There's no moving forward until this vandalism is cleaned up.

#2: Ship, weapon, and engineering gross combat imbalances leading to the necessity of solo, blocking, ganking, and an unmoderated P2P networking system that inhibits the design of complex activities and gaming environments. That is it. Some will defend the solo and blocking life-style but the game should never have been configured in such a way to place it in such popular demand. Such things are only demanded because of the game's configuration. This is why your sensors and visuals end at 7k, engineered to 14k. This is why you drop in at locations 8-10k away, why the game's combat largely revolves around interdiction, why stealth mechanics are pointless, why cargo ships are terrible in every stat except cargo space, why you can't hire NPC's to fly with you (or even fly for you without having to grab an SLF), and why all your combat missions are just "kill target(s)". It all begins with the gateway of balance, a gateway that has been closed and does not allow for the game as a whole to really be improved in any one meaningful way. Probably why Odyssey was meant to bolt on separately as well. On-foot gameplay can't improve Elite in any way without multicrew, and multicrew could never be made without ship crew functions, and those ship functions never came because of the ship, mission, combat, and salvage environments, which were never developed because they were replaced with engineering upgrades.

Last edited:
Lazy whiners always cry about the grind, but then what else is there?

For me what breaks the game is the complete lack of 'feel' for the 32nd century. Other than the FSD drive all the other tech feels so 1970. No real computer systems even though we will be beyond Quantum computing long before 3100. Supercurise is better on a current Tesla than a 32nd century space ship.

Having to fight with the nav computer all the time.

The fsd drive getting scared near suns and trying to kill me by stranding me next to the sun.

My ship overheating all the time even though it's -250C outside.

Passenger missions that want you to pick up TONS of liquor or clothes. Can't they just ask to stop at a station to go shopping not requiring a cargo hold?

Being nagged by my computer all the time: unable to comply, unable to comply, unable to comply <swoosh> computer goes out the airlock.

Not being able to pick up modules, for my other ships in my cargo ship or ANYTHING other than 1 ton cargo containers. I mean a cargo ship is a big empty room (or many empty rooms) that you can put anything into. A cargo bay is a box with cargo strap hooks in the floor and walls.

Can't buy otherwise normal stuff in markets because they have been deemed 'special'. Anything collectible should be saleable.

Lazy whiners always cry about the grind, but then what else is there?
This alone makes the whole thing fundamentally screwed. The fact that after grind there's nothing left is a massive flaw that it's too late to address because at this point it's baked in.

Edit: in addition, after grinding all the engineering and guardian gear I'm too exhausted and burned out to care about the few things that remain.

Last edited:
The 'grind' as you call should never end. There is no point where the game officials say to you 'You've achieved everything, you can now have whatever you want anytime you want it..

However, to your point, you are right, they need to keep adding thigs to do with your accumulation of mats and $$. Perhaps player stations and planetary bases.

The bgs grind is never ending but that's not what I'm on about.

It's mat grind for engineering/ guardian, followed by mat grind to keep premium ammo synth'd if you want to solo anything bigger than a cyclops. And the time spent in the station rearranging a ship for different tasks because I really don't want to keep going through all that engineering mat grind again after 30+ ships have been g5'd.

The bgs grind is never ending but that's not what I'm on about.

It's mat grind for engineering/ guardian, followed by mat grind to keep premium ammo synth'd if you want to solo anything bigger than a cyclops. And the time spent in the station rearranging a ship for different tasks because I really don't want to keep going through all that engineering mat grind again after 30+ ships have been g5'd.
The bgs is a sisyphean task.

I'm going to throw out a little thing of mine that is a good example of much of the low effort put into the game.

A few months ago I was pushing missions hard. My favorite became Pirate Lord Wing missions. After a couple days I realized there were only two variations to this encounter. It seemed every wing mission pirate lord in the galaxy exclusively flies an FDL with either two or three Vultures in support. Sometimes the FDL has chaff. That's it.

Imagine playing a DnD campaign where every bandit boss was an orc with two or three goblins.

You are telling me they just couldn't put in the effort for a quick encounter table with at least a little variety.

Those are the things that bring this game down the most. All the little low effort tier zero implementations that wouldn't have required massive engine modifications and six year waits. But Frontier can't even do that.

I'm going to throw out a little thing of mine that is a good example of much of the low effort put into the game.

A few months ago I was pushing missions hard. My favorite became Pirate Lord Wing missions. After a couple days I realized there were only two variations to this encounter. It seemed every wing mission pirate lord in the galaxy exclusively flies an FDL with either two or three Vultures in support. Sometimes the FDL has chaff. That's it.

Imagine playing a DnD campaign where every bandit boss was an orc with two or three goblins.

You are telling me they just couldn't put in the effort for a quick encounter table with at least a little variety.

Those are the things that bring this game down the most. All the little low effort tier zero implementations that wouldn't have required massive engine modifications and six year waits. But Frontier can't even do that.
That's a good one. I've actually forced myself to ignore this for the safety of my blood pressure. I was doing pretty good until now lol

Sis·y·phe·an
/ˌsisəˈfēən/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
denoting or relating to a task that can never be completed.

Oxford begs to differ. I had to look it up to respond in the first place lmao.
You should dig a bit deeper into the context before assuming that a one line definition encapsulates the meaning.

Top Bottom