What is the biggest funkiller for you?

The least fun thing for me is getting new people into the game and having them burn out from the amount of work needed to get a ship that you can start to have fun in.

Odyssey has at least taken some steps in the right direction with the lucky suits and guns, available at up to level 3, and no unlocks required for basic grade upgrades, meaning your average joe beginner, even if they've got a long way to go to being able to fully customise their gear to their exact specifications, can fairly easily obtain... yanno, good enough gear to tag along and still feel useful, whereas the base game... while a lot of us have been telling people not to feel like they have to G5 everything unless they really want to PvP, that G3 is good enough, there's still a grindwall to even begin engineering and until you've done a bunch of unlock quests even getting that G3 is out of reach.
Tech brokers let you get some decent modules without as much mat grind but they're still a grind in and of themselves.

It's really hard to get a buddy started in the game when they have that much of a progression cliff facing them right from the outset. Having Odyssey's rare drops of pre-engineered modules popping up in stores up to G3 would be pretty cool. Sure, some of them would be useless to someone with the actual engineers unlocked but to a new starter they'd be pretty cool and give them a chance to see what engineered kit is like.

The least fun thing for me is getting new people into the game and having them burn out from the amount of work needed to get a ship that you can start to have fun in.

Odyssey has at least taken some steps in the right direction with the lucky suits and guns, available at up to level 3, and no unlocks required for basic grade upgrades, meaning your average joe beginner, even if they've got a long way to go to being able to fully customise their gear to their exact specifications, can fairly easily obtain... yanno, good enough gear to tag along and still feel useful, whereas the base game... while a lot of us have been telling people not to feel like they have to G5 everything unless they really want to PvP, that G3 is good enough, there's still a grindwall to even begin engineering and until you've done a bunch of unlock quests even getting that G3 is out of reach.
Tech brokers let you get some decent modules without as much mat grind but they're still a grind in and of themselves.

It's really hard to get a buddy started in the game when they have that much of a progression cliff facing them right from the outset. Having Odyssey's rare drops of pre-engineered modules popping up in stores up to G3 would be pretty cool. Sure, some of them would be useless to someone with the actual engineers unlocked but to a new starter they'd be pretty cool and give them a chance to see what engineered kit is like.
I like this. Yes!

The mission boards.

No real mission chaining exists.

Why have to travel back to a station for a continuation mission, why do these never appear at the destination.

Why do they make no real sense in what they ask you to do as a flow up.

Why don't they use some of the more involved things as a follow-up.

Just a huge lack of storylines involved, and a bunch of lacklustre missions all the time.

Make those multirole craft useful... Give us chained stories to make stuff play...

Example:
Collect crashed ships 2 escape pods from a surface.
Follow on . Urgent medical supplies required. Fetch us 2t of advanced medical supplies.
Follow on . Take the two stabilized passengers to this location to report on their situation and safe recovery..
Follow on . Take the debrief documents to location.

That's a story right there, and the missions then have a reason behind them, so some interest in doing them other than credits...
Needs srv, and passenger cabins, and some cargo space. Encourages more ship diversity...
There's two types of ship, the diverse kind, and the murder kind crammed with reinforcements that will actually survive PvP. They needed to fix balance years ago, but fdev actively support gankers, instead. People who don't have cargo space to even try and steal, they just rack up as high a bounty as they can. Because bored.

Too many limpet modules, fragile limpets, massive cargo of just limpets, limpets not saving per ship...

Thread 'Balance, and Ship Computers, and Limpets. Again.' https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/balance-and-ship-computers-and-limpets-again.581366/

If people were choosing between extra functionality and empty space, and weren't at a MASSIVE disadvantage in combat, the game would be a lot fairer.

So I've been trying not to burn myself out in Odyssey and taking it slow. One thing I have noticed is that the goods and data costs/grind is much worse than assets. Goods and data can't be traded, are usually in locked containers, or from data ports with a mandatory wait time to nab them, and are much more limited in the amount you can carry at one time.

They are also just as numerous in upgrades and mod recipes. And not being able to trade them compounds how diluted the drops are with useless items and data. It all feels designed by an experienced player retention person working on mobile games.

It's really telling to me that the most developed areas in Odyssey seem to be the liverey section and the progression via upgrades/engineers.

At first I was not happy about the grind for engineers, but tbh once I got started, asked some questions and figured it out, its really not that bad.

Except for the fact that engineers are not unlocking for me once I have met their requirements... oh and what is so hard about being clear about those requirements? And, Or, Total, Each, some words that can be used in a description to make things clear. How is that so difficult?

when you are JUST about to finish up an obejctive and the game decides to spawn in a drop of 10+ enemies on you... then decides F you in particular and drops ANOTHER 10 on you moments later.

I've noticed this game LOVES to do that both on the ground and in space. My first week playing I was soooooo happy I'd won in a combat zone in my wittle viper. The faction I helped out left and I was about to jump to the station to claim my creds.... then the game spawned like 20 spec ops ships that all targeted and shot at me all at once. I never had a chance.

THAT ish. That is a funkiller.

EDO will release on Tablet soon, mark my words!
Being completely honest: I'd love for them to make a mobile game where I can manage a faction. Pay 99 cents and you get a faction placed on some random planet outside of the bubble. Basic slider interface setup a budget, training, research, etc. Have relationships between factions. Setup trade routes, alliances, etc.

I need to build this new research facility, but it's taking my miners forever. Pilot's Fed representative: We will create a community goal for you. Megaship ferries jumping from Sol all the way out to this godforsaken system every 5 minutes for 1 week. We'll handle paying the commanders and will provide a paint job. All for the low price of 2500 arx.

That exploitative mobile mechanic creates content for people playing the spaceship game. There's quite a bit of cross play that could occur. I'd be back to playing the game daily again because I'd have a reason to care about a faction. The galaxy would still feel empty even if they were able to sell 7.5 billion copies and limit planets to 25 starter settlements.

Space Faction Tycoon. Take my money.

Many small things, but biggest one out of them all is idle sitting: SC travel and FSD jumping. Few things could help it great deal, like either make it more involved, so you don't have to only mash one button and watch timers with minimal corrections of course, something to do during travel and it having at least minimal hazard and management gameplay. Or finally give us full autopilot, so ship could jump/fly on it's own to set destination, so we could do some other stuff while it arrives. Just sitting there and pushing one button every so often is really not how you design a game...

Many small things, but biggest one out of them all is idle sitting: SC travel and FSD jumping. Few things could help it great deal, like either make it more involved, so you don't have to only mash one button and watch timers with minimal corrections of course, something to do during travel and it having at least minimal hazard and management gameplay. Or finally give us full autopilot, so ship could jump/fly on it's own to set destination, so we could do some other stuff while it arrives. Just sitting there and pushing one button every so often is really not how you design a game...
Oof or how about the transfer time! Talk about idle sitting lol. This is a great one.

Top Bottom