Newcomer / Intro What is the purpose of solo?

There are a few different things you can do switching between open play and solo. If you are running missions you might obtain a few more for the same location switching between. Some people consider this cheating and it's not exactly fair

Board flipping by mode switching has been removed.

I think "Solo" is also a good feature to have for people who genuinely disliked the experience they had with other players in other games and want to kind of ease in to the ED gameplay. I know that I'm not generally a multiplayer person at all, and when I play online games, I tend to only play with my friends, but with ED (which none of my other friends are playing, sadly), I started in Solo and then moved over to Open after a while. Getting a start without worrying about other people can be easier, psychologically.

I want to carve my OWN WAY in the game, play how I want, do what I want when and where I want. I have zero interest in how others play and have zero intention of affecting them or stopping them. As a result I play in solo, I’m STILL playing ELITE DANGEROUS it’s just MY ED, saying I’m NOT playing ED if I’m not in OPEN is several expletives followed by bovine bio waste.

Switching between the two, I can't see any differences, aside from the obvious absence of other players. But my ship is still in the same location, with the same missions active. Is the only difference a lack of other players? Does everything carry over? For example, could someone build up a ton of wealth on solo play, and then bring all that over to the populated version?

All things you gain carry over.

As for why it is there, Elite has its roots in the original 1984 Elite and Fronter Elite II, which were single player games. ED was crowdfunded, and many backers probably wanted that single player experience (and a fair bit of new players I reckon).

It's a compromise that is debated ad nauseum on these forums, but I think it's a decent one.

Since this necro is still running:

I did a clear save yesterday and I have been running it in Open Play ever since - lots and lots of hollow icons and not a single one has responded to my o7 - not one.

So in reality all I am seeing in Open Play is occasional rubber-banding which is now beginning to annoy me enough to consider going back to a Mobius group, at least hollow icons there say o7 back. (I have deliberately kept using Open just to test this lack of communication.) Oh yes - I am not in the noob-zone - masses of hollow icons there but not surprised that they didn't know a) what o7 meant or b) how to use the comms panel (or both). ;)

Since this necro is still running:

I did a clear save yesterday and I have been running it in Open Play ever since - lots and lots of hollow icons and not a single one has responded to my o7 - not one.

So in reality all I am seeing in Open Play is occasional rubber-banding which is now beginning to annoy me enough to consider going back to a Mobius group, at least hollow icons there say o7 back. (I have deliberately kept using Open just to test this lack of communication.) Oh yes - I am not in the noob-zone - masses of hollow icons there but not surprised that they didn't know a) what o7 meant or b) how to use the comms panel (or both). ;)

You would quite likely get a similar responsiveness from me but I am aware of (a) and variations on it and reasonably familiar with (b) the trouble is I am usually concentrating on flying the ship so tend to not notice the message alerts until sometime later. Rumours that my lack of multitasking skills means I find walking and breathing at the same time difficult are laughed at to disguise the truth in them.

On topic sort of, I often think the main purpose of Solo is to enrage certain sections of the player community, but that is a subject better suited to Dangerous Discussions.

Last edited:
What is the purpose of Solo?

To make Walt Disney a lot of money...unfortunately....

Sorry, had to do it.

In my humble opinion, Solo is a way for players to enjoy the game without having to put up with the grief that can and does happen in Open.

While admittedly, not everyone in Open is a Harry Potter waiting to pounce from behind an asteroid,nor do they act that way, they all "have to option" to emulate his antics... Hence the open play, which is basically the Wild West with a bit (okay A Lot) of Mad Max thrown in. Also, as there are no real "Rules of Engagement" in open (or Solo for the matter concerning NPC's) it is as it should be. You fly at your own discretion and if you get bounced, then you "Knew the job was dangerous when you took it".

Personally, I would probably quit if I had just finished a long exploration journey with hundreds if not thousands of systems worth of data in my computer only to have it wiped out because someone wanted to get their jollies by destroying me. If I didn't quit, I would do some serious heavy thinking about continuing the game. Without a Solo Play option, I could see many rage quitting after something like that happening. People don't like it when their hard worked for accomplishments are wiped out without a thought to how much effort was put into it. While I don't know that anyone did quit, take the recent DW2 trip, that had gankers hidden in the group who decided to do a mass attack on ships as they were getting ready to jump. I believe I had read that some went to Frontier to have their accounts "reset" back to before the ambush. I would have tried at least...

I have not played in open, and most likely, won't. But that is my choice, and we all have choices, so go out and enjoy the game as you see fit. But if Solo did not exist, I would not be enjoying this game and the wonders that have been created in it.

Take Care and Check Six Commanders o7

Lakon Micheal Charlie Golf signing off...

Switching between the two, I can't see any differences, aside from the obvious absence of other players. But my ship is still in the same location, with the same missions active. Is the only difference a lack of other players? Does everything carry over? For example, could someone build up a ton of wealth on solo play, and then bring all that over to the populated version?

To add to what has already been said, playing in Solo is a great way to let your friends know you can't join them in PG or Open :-D

Otherwise, you can create your own PG and invite your friends so they can always jump in with you when you are online.

Top Bottom