What is the purpose on the Scavengers at the Thargoid Surface Site?

Besides a source of materials by shooting them and defenders of the structure/ barnacles if provoked (shoot the barnie or side of the structure, or shove some guardian relics into the central device and see what happens!)... It's hotly speculated if they're scavenging material from the structure to use for something else (the egg sacs?) or if they're actually repairing the structures.

If you watch them closely, they actually interact with the mycod stricken parts of the structure.

I was unable to find the purpose of the Scavengers while I was at this very creepy place.

Source: https://youtu.be/T8bm6p_myQQ

I think they are remaining worker drones still doing their jobs though the bases seem to be abandoned.
Thing is, that despite the fact, that the Thargoids are in the game for a long time now (and much longer in the lore), we never got much information on them, despite what we can observe ourselves and the summary in the codex. And since every single Thargoid ship is solely restricted to a combat encounter only (yes, we can probe them, but since collected samples are only useful for the Guardian puzzle, that's pretty pointless), the only thing we know about these, is how they break apart and what kinds of weapons they have.

Canonn collected a lot of information on Thargoids, but their research is limited to what the game presents us.
Where is the lore? Where are the results of AEGIS researching Thargoids? How exactly do they look? What are their ships made of? What's the scientist's take on the bases?
Why are there no answers to anything Thargoid, but only gameplay mechanics and a rough story that is nice for the casual player who needs a reason to shoot them, but is not nearly enough to integrate that alien race into lore.
Additionally, there is, of course, more lore on Thargoids in Elite's prequel, and some of it is supposed canon, but some is not. What is what we don't know, since Frontier never bothered to point that out elaborately.

So... are there Oresrians and Klaxxians in ED lore?!? The INRA and Jameson thing happened, since there are bases and Jameson's wreck, but what about the antivirus that was part of making peace with the Thargoids earlier? Did that happen? We don't really know, since at some point Frontier mentioned something vague about it, but there is no statement, no real lore and close to no knowledge on an alien race, humanity was at war with about 200 years ago, and which now reemerged...
There is a lot on the Guardians, since they wrote a lot of lore for the monolith network we can discover, but all the knowledge that people are bound to have aquired about a race we are actively in contact with, must be available somewhere, even if some of it is locked away behind the doors of secret laboratories.

So Frontier, please close the lore gap, not only on Thargoids, but many, many other things in the game. Sure, that's work, but it's your game world, and it's a simulation. Without lore it's devoid of motivation.

Looks like the guy(s) working on the Thargoid lore & come to think of it ANY lore, isn't working on the ED project anymore.......hopefully one day he/she/they may return.
How hard would it really be for someone to pick up where they left off. Seriously though. I'm glad they only had one creative idea guy. Which is b.s. because Drew says he actually offered to pick up on some lore and story content and gets no response at all. Not even a 'thanks for offering but we're not interested atm'

How hard would it really be for someone to pick up where they left off. Seriously though. I'm glad they only had one creative idea guy. Which is b.s. because Drew says he actually offered to pick up on some lore and story content and gets no response at all. Not even a 'thanks for offering but we're not interested atm'
To me part of the problem was caused by the self proclaimed influenza's, who claim to represent "all" of the community. Things have gone downhill, since that "open letter" nonsense - the phrase 'be careful what you wish for' comes to mind.

To me part of the problem was caused by the self proclaimed influenza's, who claim to represent "all" of the community. Things have gone downhill, since that "open letter" nonsense - the phrase 'be careful what you wish for' comes to mind.
Some things have. But im with the understanding that Mr Brookes stepped away many lunar cycles before that was ever a thing. I understand he was the guy with the imagination or am i way off?

They're aliens, their purposes are beyond our understanding.

Thargoids are well done like this. What are barnacles and what is their relationship to Thargoids? Is there any connection with brain trees? What's the display in the Thargoid base: our galaxy, another galaxy, something else? Why do Thargoids hyperdict; what are they looking for? Will we know if they find it? What do the sensors and probes do? Good story FD.

Thargoids are well done like this. What are barnacles and what is their relationship to Thargoids? Is there any connection with brain trees? What's the display in the Thargoid base: our galaxy, another galaxy, something else? Why do Thargoids hyperdict; what are they looking for? Will we know if they find it? What do the sensors and probes do? Good story FD.
The answers to half of that is known. The other half ... game is an MMO with an evolving story*. More will be revealed - though it looks like we'll be waiting for New Era before that happens.

* well, that is how it is sold, though the story has halted for the last 2 years, so maybe they gave up 🤷‍♀️

The answers to half of that is known. The other half ... game is an MMO with an evolving story*. More will be revealed - though it looks like we'll be waiting for New Era before that happens.

* well, that is how it is sold, though the story has halted for the last 2 years, so maybe they gave up 🤷‍♀️
It's time for an Open Letter

Top Bottom